Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Steaming shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by david14700, Nov 20, 2003.

1. noelp

noelp Regular Member

Does anyone know the optimal storage conditions for shuttles???

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

Interesting topic... I'm wondering can you re-steam feather shuttles? I usually steam a whole tube the night before the games, but the next day sometimes I can use the whole tube and sometimes I only use half a tube... so the remaining half wont be used until next week. My question is can I steam those remaining shuttles again or would that be too much steaming?

Thanks

3. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

I have always wondered the same...

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Just steamed a tube of feathers for the first time. I'll be using them on Wednesday night. Hoping for 2 games with 1 shuttle.

5. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    Personally, I find steaming birds to improve bird durability by a lot. I steam my birds by boiling water until the steam comes up and since I have a steam cooker, I use that to steam cook my birds. I leave them in for perhaps 30 seconds then quickly put them back inside the tube. To preserve the even more, I would put a wet tissue paper inside the tube after a day or two to keep the inside moist. Hope this helped

6. visor

visor Regular Member

10-15 secs of steam up each end 2 days prior is good enough.

Be careful not to overdo it, otherwise the birds will feel spongy and lose the crispness on hitting.

7. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    Maybe mine wasn't steaming quite enough but I've never really had to deal with that problem o_O. I usually use chopsticks or somethind and turn them over and over each other to avoid oversteaming. Perhaps its my bird

8. CanucksDynasty

I just did what the link showed. Over a pot of boiling water with both ends open. Wait 2-3 secs until steam comes out of the end and flip over...repeat. Then place caps back on tube.

9. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

I'm sure there's tonnes of threads on this, I've sworn I've read like 4-5 lol.

In any case, steaming does help, yes. But steaming with HOT water boiling CAN damage the shuttles as the heat could cause damage.

What you SHOULD do, is use a humidifier. Cool humid air will "steam" the shuttles and hydrate them. Most people who live in dry climates have their own shuttlecock humidifier. Myself included.

Just hold the tube at the nozzle for a bit, let the humid air go through it for a while, reverse the tube, repeat, and then seal it. Do this around 24 hours beforehand :)

Sometimes, for me... I trap a bit of extra moisture in... But over-hydrating causes the shuttles to become heavy as well, so make sure you don't do that. That was my mistake the first time! :(

10. CanucksDynasty

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll be using my kid's cool mist Elephant humidifier. The steam comes out of the trunk...perfect size for the tubes. :D

11. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

No problem! Glad to help a fellow Vancouverite! Perhaps we'll play sometime as well :)

12. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Pffft, I used to steam mine, but now I just leave them in the bathroom~

13. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

lol I thought about that too... But then there's no room in the bathroom for me :p

14. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

Just tried steaming from showering on RSL classic tourney and it works pretty good.

15. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Hi guys!
    I got a problem today with Aerosensa 30, they are quite brittle compare to other brands.
    I wanted to steam them, read everything I could find, but still do not see a good, working, detailed way to do it.
    Here is the link:
    http://sibilianotary.com/Resources/Shuttlecock/hydrate-steaming.php
    But how many shuttles should be in the tube and how much time should I steam them?
    Can anyone give me a good advice?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

I use this method instead. Full tube, 5 secs thru each end, over the steam coming out of the vent of a rice cooker or hot water boiler. Let it rest vertically for at least 3-4 days before playing. Be careful not to overdo it though or it'll feel spongy.

http://www.victorsport.com/mobile/coach_detail_5450.html

#76 visor, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  17. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I used to steam my shuttles. If I didn't steam them enough, they didn't last any longer. If I steamed them more, they would be noticeably heavier and fly differently. I live in Toronto, Canada by the way. Does this happen to anyone else? As a reference, my AS30 shuttle lasts about 15 minutes of play whereas an AS50 lasts about 25 minutes. Neither were steamed.

18. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I hold a tube over the kettle spout, stick my finger in the top until I feel warmth from the steam. Then cap the tube.

19. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Well I'm experimenting on something a bit different today. Instead of steaming, I've applied a thin amount of moisturizing cream on a few shuttles:rolleyes:

I'll see how they'll perform in tomorrow's game. They have to be flawless during the match you know:D

20. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

lol moisturizing cream.

Though birds must have like an oil on their feathers. I wonder if shuttlecocks could be steamed and then have a mist of some oil passed over them to help trap the moisture.

I'm going to go read about feathers on wikipedia now.