Tensing on Split Step

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, Feb 8, 2017.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

The purpose of the split step is to preload the leg muscles. I'm finding that as I make my split step, I also tense the rest of my body, all the way to my racquet grip.

This is normally fine when I have lots of time to move, then set into my stroke ready position with a relaxed wrist/grip and finally play the stroke; however, when I have less time e.g. drive return/flat lift return, I'm left in a tense state and tend to play less good strokes.

1) is tensing more than just your legs normal, or is there a way to train to stop it?

2) If it is normal, how can you practise getting your upper body/arm/wrist relaxed again in time for the stroke?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It depends how tense tense is... I mean when you split you're gonna tense a little bit. You're activating muscles and getting them ready for movement. Readying your body for movement is the primary goal of the split step.

Being tense should only last an instant though, it shouldn't persist. I don't know how to tell you how to relax, it's just sort of something you do. You should really be relaxing your muscles after you've taken a directional step.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I actually believe tensing your legs in the first place sounds wrong. But maybe thats just the word "tensing" - which sounds like an active thing. However, preloading the muscles is something done by bending at the knees and maintaining good balance, which is something you would do naturally if I just told you to move from a static stance and move somewhere quickly.

Ideally, you would feel completely relaxed, load the legs appropriately by widening and lowering your stance so you feel a bit more "ready" to move, and then push off explosively. I would actually suggest the best way of stopping your tendency to tense up is to simply do some drills at a very high pace. You will soon learn that you don't have time for any of the things you are currently thinking about.

Not sure if that helped, but those are my thoughts. Tensing of muscles and usage of muscles should not be confused, because they are different. Tensing muscles stops them moving, loading them is necessary for moving them.

Good luck!

DarkHiatus likes this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Do you know how to bounce lightly with slightly bent knees on one spot on the balls of your feet (heels off the ground an inch or so)? That's all there is. Just like a boxer bouncing around, all relaxed.

#4 visor, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    DarkHiatus and Cheung like this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Train your lower body to bounce and keep your upper body relaxed.

That way, you don't have to 'relax in time'. You are already relaxed.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Thanks for the replies all.

I get the gist now :p I think i'm just too tense overall - especially on a defensive split. I suppose I was confusing the split step itself with the pushing off - sometimes this is in the same foot position as the split, and sometimes it isn't.

Either way, I do have some work on keeping my upper body relaxed. If i concentrate on it, I do get the right feeling, it's under pressure (stretching out, moving back quickly, diving) that I lose the feeling.

I just have to get rid of the 'tight grip = ready' feeling!

Cheung likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Forgot to mention that after you play a shot in your routines, you can also try to immediately relax the upper body. Use a fairly simple and slow routine first to practice it.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You have to remember that in such situations, you are in a very defensive position. The first priority is to regain balance. How to do that? Give the opponent a neutral shot that makes them play a slow shot. I.E. Frustrate them.

For instance, this is how I think if I am caught off balance running back. I play a very high clear. I will prioritise height over depth. It might not go to the back of the opponent's court but it is very high. This gives me time to regain my balance and relax my body. Then I look at the opponent's position. He is likely to smash. My aim is to pressure him to play a good smash even if it is easy for him. I still get ready to receive a smash but say only cover 70% of the width of the court where I think he will smash. Now, if I get the smash back, he has pressure because he had an easy smash, didn't put it away first time and had to play another shot. Even if I just reach the shuttle but not get it back, I smile to let him know he was lucky. :)

If you get three similar situations like this, the opponent starts thinking, 'this guy keeps getting shots back. I have got to put more quality in.'. The result is your opponent starts doubting himself and tries to play even better. Once you notice your opponent play more unforced errors, you know you have started to break him mentally. He will start to feel tense (if he doesn't, you are playing an experienced player)

If you cannot do this, then probably you will lose the point but know this will happen, save your energy, keep calm, give a shrug of the shoulders, relax and prepare yourself for the next point. Badminton is not a game where you can rush around like a madman scooping up the shuttle or forcing things as this may make you lose over the whole course of a game. It is more cerebral than that. After losing a point, it is important to leave the point behind emotionally and to regain your calmness and relaxation of the body...

Of course, there are certain junctures in the game where you need to up the pace a bit more. Like near the end of a tight game. But this should be intentional and under your control rather than reactionary.

If you are always under pressure, then know on the day, the opponent is simply better than you. Work on your weaknesses when in training for another attempt in the future.

#8 Cheung, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    MitchTheFox likes this.