Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Top 5 Players in each event (MS, WS, MD, WD, XD)

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Master of Badminton, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Master of Badminton

Master of Badminton New Member

I have heard many discussions in other sports, always comparing current players to the previous generations (ie, Lebron James to Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan)

I have always wondered who people would consider to be the greatest or top 5 in their event (MS, WS, MD, WD, XD)

MS
    1. Lin Dan
    2. Ardy Wiranata
    3. Taufik Hidayat
    4. Lee Chong Wei
    5. Xia Xuanze/Peter Gade

WS
    1. Zhang Ning
    2. Xie XingFang
    3. Susi Susanti
    4. Camilla Martin
    5. Tine Rasmussen

MD
    1. Tony Gunawan
    2. Kim Dong Moon
    3. Cai Yun
    4. Lee Yong Dae
    5. Jonas Rasmussen

WD
    1. Zhao Yunlei
    2. Gao Ling
    3. Yu Yang
    4. Ra Kyung-Min
    5. Chung Myung-Hee

XD
    1. Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei
    2. Zhang Jun/Gao Ling
    3. Kim Dong Moon/Ra Kyung-Min
    4. Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir
    5. Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter Juhl

These rankings are not in specific order, but they're just simply my opinion of the five players/pairs that I believe are top 5 in their respective events.

Please comment below and I would love to start a discussion to see what everyone else thinks.

#1 Master of Badminton, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. Master of Badminton

I have heard many discussions in other sports, always comparing current players to the previous generations (ie, Lebron James to Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan)

I have always wondered who people would consider to be the greatest or top 5 in their event (MS, WS, MD, WD, XD)

MS
    1. Lin Dan
    2. Ardy Wiranata
    3. Taufik Hidayat
    4. Lee Chong Wei
    5. Xia Xuanze/Peter Gade

WS
    1. Zhang Ning
    2. Xie XingFang
    3. Susi Susanti
    4. Camilla Martin
    5. Zhang Ning

MD
    1. Tony Gunawan
    2. Kim Dong Moon
    3. Cai Yun
    4. Lee Yong Dae
    5. Jonas Rasmussen

WD
    1. Zhao Yunlei
    2. Gao Ling
    3. Yu Yang
    4. Ra Kyung-Min
    5. Chung Myung-Hee

XD
    1. Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei
    2. Zhang Jun/Gao Ling
    3. Kim Dong Moon/Ra Kyung-Min
    4. Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir
    5. Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter Juhl

These rankings are not in specific order, but they're just simply my opinion of the five players/pairs that I believe are top 5 in their respective events.

Please comment below and I would love to start a discussion to see what everyone else thinks.

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ws #1 & #5...?

4. Master of Badminton

sorry my friend. I will fix that. Thank you for noticing it

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Replace Taufik Hidayat by Chen Long. And Xia Xuanze by Rudy Hartono.

Include Fu Haifeng and Hendra Setiawan in MD.

Hannibal127 likes this.
  6. Master of Badminton

Appreciate your input my friend.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Self-employed
    For MD and WD, the names should be a pair, just like for XD, not singly. So in MD, Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng and Park Joo Bong/Kim Mon Soo; in WD, Ge Fei/Gu Jun, Yu Yang/Wang Xiaoli.

However, if you have in mind a most versatile male doubles player,my vote is Zhang Nan who is great in Xd and a bit less so in MD. As for female doubles player, my pick is Zhao Yunlei who is equally adept in XD and WD with record achievements to prove it.

Hannibal127 likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Self-employed
    For me, the greatest MS player has to be none other than Lin Dan, and at a respectable second is Zhao Jianhua, then come the rest.

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    not necl'y. master asked for players, as opposed to teams. the best doubles players would be the one w/ the most and most valuable titles with various partners, i.e.:

md - lee yong-dae, tony gunawan, hendra setiawan
    xd - lilyana natsir, park joo-bong
    wd - yu yang

10. Master of Badminton

Yes I agree with you. I purposely did the MD and WD with single players because Tony Gunawan for example, won titles with various partners, and it was very difficult to choose one pair over the other. As a result, I chose based on versatility and how adaptable they are to playing with different partners. But yes, I completely agree with the players you chose.

11. Master of Badminton

Completely agree with you my friend.

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i give the edge to gao ling.

both have 2 olympic golds, but gao ling's are from 2 successive games sydney to athens, it's harder to repeat than surf your apex. zyl could not repeat in wd or xd from london to rio.

for wc zyl's 5 gold's came over 5 years, world's held every year. gao ling won 4 golds over 6 years, world's were held every 2 years.

zyl dominated for about 4.5 years. gao ling dominated for nearly 6 years.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Self-employed
    On second thought, I concede you've made a good case for Gao Ling.

Master of Badminton likes this.
  14. Master of Badminton

Really good analysis of the two players. Who do you feel will take the MS throne after Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei retires? Or do you think there won't be a clear favourite in the near future?

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it's so hard to predict. it's only now we can look back @ zyl & gao ling to compare.

as it stands there's no clear cut favorite. the next 'legend' would have to start dominating now through 2023. they need to pile up ss/p titles (or 2nd place), win a couple of wc's, all england's AND gold or silver in tokyo 2020 along the way. the precedent has been established at 6 years: see lin dan, lcw, taufik & gade. each had an all worldly 6 year run during their respective peak years, then continued to be a threat every time they stepped on the court as they wound down their playing days.

the fun part is to guess where the next 'legend' will come from. it's not only about china, indonesia & malaysia anymore...and less so, but the always game, denmark.

japan (my favorite team since 2013 because of what i witnessed at the gp/gp gold level) has the greatest potential for future 'legends' in the most disciplines: ws, wd, xd & md. not just those winning now from the class of 2013, but also their crop of players in the 18-21 year old range. h.o.l.y. s.h.i.t! ... oh, and wait for it... momota. no other team is as deep as japan right now. 2018 uber cup & 2019 sudirman cup is japan's to lose. not quite there for 2018 thomas cup unless momota is back in time and goes on a rampage. china, denmark & korea are the thomas cup favorites in my book.

korea is primed to grow a couple of 'legends' in wd & xd. unfortunately they took a step backwards in md.

back to ms: in a word india. for the same reasons i like japan. they're about 2 years behind japan in wd, md & xd but their future is extremely bright.

thailand is on the brink of turning the corner and breaking through. so the ?'n is: will they actually turn the corner and break through? a few ws (intanon & company), 1 xd & 1 wd (both lead by sapsiree) & 1 md. ms? i don't see tanongsak lasting.

in 2013 i was pegging srikanth, momota & axelsen as the next 'legends' class. shit happens (axelsen), and certainly has happened (momota), along the way but i'm sticking to them up until tokyo 2020. the game and type of athlete are changing, which is why i avoided picking someone from the high pressure cooker teams like china & malaysia.

Master of Badminton likes this.
  16. Master of Badminton

Yeah I completely agree with what you're saying. So far I haven't seen many players in MS be able to put up consistent results, minimum SF finish at Superseries, would you say the competition nowadays has gotten higher and everyone's level is a lot closer? Or would you say that LCW, LD, Tauifk, Gade were all just way ahead of their competition at the time? Really enjoying this discussion my friend.

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you kind of have to be ahead of your time to have the best chances of sustaining a 6 year peak, but not always. you have to look back at their age when they started their peak.

taufik & gade started making waves when they were 19, so yes, you could say those 2 were way ahead of their competition. recent comparisons would be:
    • lee yong-dae: starting winning majors @ 18, olympic gold & wc medals starting @ 19 and was still tearing it up @ 28 when he retired. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Yong-dae#2006
    • yu yang @ 20, up to the age of 30.
    • zhang nan: starting winning majors @ 19 (now 27) with more to come.
    • tai tzu-ying @ 19 (now 23), and we're witnessing what she can do
    • yamaguchi @ 15! (just turned 20) and currently on a roll...
    • okuhara @ 20 (now 23), after a nearly 2 year delay due to major injury/surgery @ 18. imagine if she was healthy the whole time. she's only 1 month older than intanon.
    • intanon @ 18 (now 22), but i honestly think she's fading from the top 4.
    lin dan reached #1 @ 20, so yes, ahead of his time & still(!) writing history. he's the ultimate outlier. like jordan/le bron, federer, serena, tiger, gretzky. recent comparisons:
    • nobody
    lee chong-wei actually began his peak @ 24, which is normal for a world-class male athlete. for that reason i don't consider lcw ahead of his time. however, if his peak didn't overlap w/ lin dan for so long he'd be the undisputed g.o.a.t... recent comparisons would be:
    • srikanth kidambi - began ascension @ 23, currently 24 and on a hot streak. we shall see...
    • pv sindhu - began entering peak recently at age 21, which is normal for female athletes. again, we shall see.
    chen long is a possible late bloomer. started dominating @ late 25 (28 now), so only time will tell. can he dominate up to the latter half of age 31? i personally don't think so due to today's competitive atmosphere, the toughest ever.

who was the farthest 'ahead of their time'? saina nehwal. hand's down. in 2008, at age 18, she began disrupting the great wall of china. she showed the world the future of women's singles is not rooted in china. she gave the world of ws hope. seriously. 9 years later she's still in the mix. one of my all-time badminton heroes :).

#17 samkool, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  18. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

it's a part of the game, and in badminton, most injury made by player theirself. If she was healthy the whole time, everybody would be healthy the whole time
    i think abt rat who won 3 world junior and then became the youngest wc champions

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    no doubt a notable achievement, but, staying in the top 4 for 6+ years on the senior circuit is what legends are made of. your junior record is rarely mentioned when people start debating a legacy.

lippro likes this.
  20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i'm not making any excuses for her because i'm not a couch potato fanboy. i was merely exercising my imagination. :)