Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Top 5 Players in each event (MS, WS, MD, WD, XD)

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Master of Badminton, Jun 19, 2017.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

In ascending order

10+ SS titles -> 1x WC -> 1x OG...

2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    which community are you asking, player or spectator?

to clarify your original ?'n i reformatted it. apparently some readers think there are 3 choices instead of 2.

3. Master of Badminton

Master of Badminton New Member

Thank you for clarifying: I think just in terms of players/spectators, just as a general badminton community:

Would you rather have (a) 10+ SS titles + World Championships vs (b) Olympic Gold Medal?

4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Olympics gold is for 1 person. How many persons could attain it? It comes every 4 years. Even badminton powerhouse like China could not repeat the feat they attained during London Olympics . Even though they try to close the gap in certain areas, they still find it difficult to cope in certain discipline. WS discipline is one such area, where they have been struggling for more than w years now. Now, MS is going to be very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

5. Master of Badminton

Master of Badminton New Member

That is true. So should we weigh the previous world champions heavier then? When World Championships were only once every 2 years. I also agree that MS and WS will be very interesting, but I believe it is better for the sport when there's more countries/players that can win, keeps the competitions exciting to watch.

6. make France great again

Saina?
    Third place in london 2012, first and second place are chinese
    Third place in asian championships in 2010 and 2016. Again, first and second place are chinese

She disrupted the great wall of china in 2015 when she's runners-up of AE and WC and no chinese is the champion

7. Baddyforall

He was talking about 2008. Nowhere he mentioned that she was at the top of the podium or the greatest of all time. Disruption is totally different if you really read what he spoke about.

samkool likes this.
  8. Baddyforall

Yes. When she reached AE finals and WC finals, she encountered Sun Yu and Wang Yihan respectively.
    You might have missed Australian Open 2017 , where Sun Yu defeated Saina and the way she wept after the win tells you the story how difficult to win Saina . By the way , I never seen Sun Yu weeping anywhere. That was the first time I saw her weeping. We have to consider that Saina still did not reach her form after her operation .

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    correct. it's nice to know some people read carefully and understand context. disrupt does not mean to take over.

disruption - to interrupt or alter so as to prevent normal or expected outcomes.

10. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

for that, it's not new, she's not the first one as mention above. I don't think chinese have anything to disappoint that time around

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Bottom Half of Men's Single is anybody's to grab.

In a way, MS is exciting without Lee, Lin, Chen but is this good or bad for badminton? Hmm..it sure make it looks more competitive

12. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

David G Freeman, undefeated Men's Single throughout his entire career. He only participated once in All England in 1949, in which he won the tournament. He defeated Ooi Tiek Hock and Wong Peng Soon in both All England and Thomas Cup (though the american team lost the Thomas Cup) If you are looking a player from the past, I would say Freeman is one that should be included.