Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Viktor Axelsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by LD rules!, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Is it a joke?

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

2. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Yup a serious joke :)

3. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Viktor does have a point tbf.
    Being tall does have its advantages and disadvantages, but limiting its advantages by putting a height limit to the serve seems a bit silly.

4. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Agree on that. And IMO a shorter player have advantages by being able to come below the shuttle and set in a fast direct pressure when receiving a service,, I'm 195 cm and did last evening a little testing for own reference, and it was a very awkward feeling, 115 cm sounds maybe quite high, but if you're taller than 190 cm you actually need to bend the legs or bend the back forward like an old man.
    Another thing I wonder about, how will the service judges carry out this rule.. I think this rule will confuse and frustrate players and service judges more than giving any benefits to the sport.

nokh88, Cheung and dave010 like this.
  5. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Wow. Viktor wins the Japan Open in 3 games. LCW showed his experience at the end of the second set when he made viktor miss two winners.
    Viktor as strong as at the World Championships with smashes at 384 km/h. And one of his smash heights was at 3.18m if i remember correctly. very steep. previous "max" was 3.05 m

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What a year for Viktor. Congrats for winning the Japan Open today in a nailbiter against LCW.

He will take over WR #1 next week. Well deserved as current world champion and after after beating the big three LD, CL, LCW plus the reigning #1 SWH within the last two tournaments.

titionthewall and racketman123 like this.
  7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    VA showed why he is the current WC. A worthy title holder to another entertaining win against the mighty DLCW. VA WILL conquer many titles to come if he can maintain his current style of play. With his height as an additional advantage, onced he has further mature his playing brains good enough, he will be a hard and tall wall to play against. Hopefully he can be on top consistenly and beat superdan WC title record. Well done VA........please come again to Msia like that day bcoz i am eager to challenge you........oops....sorry... I mean...... treat you.....

8. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    He's 23.
    How far can this kid go...

Petersen likes this.
  9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    LCW smashed a 417 km/h smash today

10. John Cena

John Cena New Member

Another good overall performance by the young dane. He’s proven himself to be best of the rest and now knocking on entry door into tier 1.

With China players coming off hectic weeks, and lcw no longer can depend on ped, va took the opportunity to win a significant title.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nizze likes this.
  11. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Nice to see this simplified and super-efficient version V-A avoiding tricky play and boy pranks, focusing with great determination on what he does best and not continuously redo unsuccessfully actions. There was glitches and tiny mental tic's in 2 game, but was led back on track in 3 game where V-A wisely avoided The masters superior curiosities for example his well known off balance traps etcetera.

IMO the turning point in V-A's badminton career where a new level of ZENFIDENCE sneaks in, comes at the Olympic Games,, V-A releases tears in pride and we can view his sensitive character in full blow-out, he receive the bronze medal as was it the one of gold/ hereafter he beam to the sky, subsequent he completely loses focus on the next 2-3 tournaments. At W-C his feet was luckily grounded again, and the hard work, with his coaches was paying back well.

The question with V-A was always how/when would he mature and erase some of the stupid flaws often done in playfulness or wild temper
    or in combo. the direction is for now set, and in the future he is the one who hunt the scalps, and make small Scandinavian boys dream big, to be the next Super Viktor

12. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree.

Have been watching VA since he started playing on the senior circuit. Iirc, he just won the junior championships and was seen as a talented and promising young successor to PG.

Tbh, i wasn't overly impressed with those early games. Then, I thought his movements were not smooth and his play not outstanding either. My OS was "PG's successor?... Perhaps that's a big shoe to fill"

Over the next few years, he improved alot and raised the level of his game. He developed stronger offensive / defensive skills and works the rallies better. Seeing this I thought "wow great improvement, he can potentially rise to the top and be PG's successor". However, the emotional/mental aspect of the game became his archilles heel, which from a supporter POV is quite frustrating, because he capable of achieving so much more.

Since the Dubai SS final win, I thought VA has matured emotionally and all his improvements (result of his coaches and his hard work) culminated into the All rounded player we saw at the WC, reaching the pinnacle of badminton MS.

IMO VA has become his own man, stepping out of PG's shoes. If he continues to improve himself and maintain consistency, he could potentially become a ledgend of his time too.

Kudos to VA!

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

#532 nizze, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  13. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

you must be kidding me... Viktor is currently the man to beat.

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Hasn't he surpassed my idol PG with the Olympic bronze medal and World Champion title?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Makes one kinda feel sad for LCW... so close yet so far... yet again...

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    That's life.
    You may not have some but you have others, if you know what I mean.

17. John Cena

John Cena New Member

To achieve what he had done before is quite hard for him without ped. Even if he still uses, need to try hard to avoid detection now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Badminton: Axelsen's Japan victory fuels his rise to summit

SEP 25, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT

TOKYO • World champion Viktor Axelsen proved he is the best shuttler on the planet by beating Malaysian Lee Chong Wei yesterday to clinch his first Japan Open title.

The world rankings will confirm that on Thursday, with the Dane set to become the first European to become men's world No. 1 since the SuperSeries era was launched in 2007.

Axelsen, who defeated two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan of China to bag the world title in Glasgow last month, edged out Lee 21-14, 19-21, 21-14 in the men's singles final in 75 minutes.

The 23-year-old found the perfect response after losing the second game by the narrowest of margins despite leading 18-14.

"I'm really happy and proud for getting rid of the disappointment and winning the game," he said.

Former world No. 1 Lee was competing in his 100th SuperSeries final but could not celebrate the milestone with a win at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium.

[​IMG]
    Viktor Axelsen celebrates defeating Lee Chong Wei in the Japan Open final. The Dane's win will see him rise to the top of the world rankings. PHOTO: EPA-EFE
    It was his second straight loss to Axelsen, having lost to him in the World SuperSeries Finals in Dubai. Prior to that meeting last December, Lee won the first nine clashes between the two.

"Compared to the past, Viktor played more confidently and was more stable today," said Lee.

The 34 year-old has lifted the Japan Open crown six times (2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016), but Axelsen's triumph will see him displace South Korea's Son Wan Ho, whom he defeated in the semi-finals, as the world's top player.

The world No. 2 has won every last meeting against a player ranked in the top 10, apart from China's world No. 4 Shi Yuqi, whom he is yet to face.

In the women's singles final yesterday, world No. 5 Carolina Marin of Spain, last year's Olympic gold medallist, overwhelmed He Bingjiao of China 23-21, 21-12.

"Compared to the best players in the world, I still lack in the faith that I must win," world No. 7 He said.

Petersen and s_mair like this.
  19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    VA is definitely the man to beat at the moment. He has transformed his game this year and reminds me of CL when he was on form in terms of getting everything back with interest.

I don't think he is unbeatable though. I think LCW could have beaten him had he been able to keep up the shot quality and pace. VA was starting to struggle in terms of stamina towards the end which although LCW was too, he was still able get to the shuttle quickly. Of the players that can take on VA I think only LCW and CL can potentially beat him. I can't see anyone else having an answer for his steep smashes and excellent defence.

dave010 likes this.
  20. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

The Time After Peter Gade who was the Successor of The white China-man/Peter Rasmussen (Studied Miyamoto Musashi and walked the Buddhist way).. There was a dessert to cross, Jan Ø Jørgensen, kept the boat floating, as I recall, his best results were in different Europe tournaments and Indonesia , Then this talented but annoying young boy V-A pops up and start to seriously bite JØJ in the rump 13-14. Anders Antonsen will soon do the same to V-A , A-A is of a another foundry, with an enormous confidence in own skills and to be the best very soon ;) well lets see :D

nizze likes this.