Wang Shixian ( 王适娴 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by george@chongwei, Jun 28, 2009.

1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Han Li is too old. So I do not expect much from her to deliver in major events.

Chen XiaoJia is too small and young. But both are considered extremely useful assets to the CBA.

Han Li did exhibit the same brilliance WL did in Paris two years ago. Their skills are exactly identical.

2. repentedboy

student la
    Not another one

What's with CHN WS players with kids these days ?

376533_496559387028227_732609124_n.jpg

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

OT : personally, WL will never be the same player as she was before her (knee) injury. She may come close but most likely won't be the same player. It will be somewhat of a miracle, if she comes back to her previous form & can make the WS OG squad in 4 more yrs..

As for WSX's fate, 4 more yrs is still quite a wait..

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    WYH will probably not be around (or good enough) in 4 years.
    LXR will, barring injury and other acts of God/LYB.
    WX will not be around.
    So look around; who else is good enough to be in the elite team?

The other girls may make to to the elite level; they may not.
    But WSX has shown that she belongs, despite a bad phase; she is still among the top 4 players in the world, and has not been out of the top 5 since.... when? :D

She has shown she is a huge asset to the team over the past few years. It is the CBA that need to re-invest in this asset, this time more wisely than they have done so far.
    She needs re-tooling and getting some very few changes made to her style of play, and to her posture.
    CBA can use down time to put her through an intense training phase. It doesn't matter if she slips down the rankings for 6-9 months. She can't slip beyond #10 even if she tried; she's just too good for that.

She has good reason to be aggrieved, but IMO she's feeling for all the wrong reasons.
    If the CBA backroom boys pull their head out and admit they screwed up, they can still make her their top gun in 4 years.

WSX is a perfect example of the CBA not knowing when they're well off.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Chinese head coach explains why Wang Shixian left out of Olympic squad
    2012-07-10 Xinhua English
    http://english.sina.com/china/2012/0710/484959.html

Excerpts:

BEIJING, July 10 (Xinhua) -- Chinese badminton head coach Li Yongbo said Tuesday that Asian Games gold medallist Wang Shixian was left out of the London Olympic squad because she had a relatively sluggish record against foreign shuttlers compared with her teammates.

..."We conduct a specific analysis about their results facing our major rivals and made the final decision depending on it," said Li.

According to Li, in the past year Wang Yihan holds 34 wins and three losses facing major rivals, Li Xuerui ranked the second on the list with 33 wins and four losses, Wang Xin has 28 wins and seven losses while Wang Shixian only registers 17 wins and 11 losses.

"The list is very persuasive that Wang Shixian had a relatively sluggish performance comparing with three teammates," Li said.

Li hoped the 22-year-old Wang Shixian could continue to train hard and fight for the 2016 Olympic Games.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    4 years is a long time.

in 2008, who will think that we will no longer see the shadow of LL, WL, ZL? and who expected we will see WYH, WX, WSX, LXR be at the top?

the Chinese wheel turns very fast at the WS department, there is an abundant supply of youngsters who are fitter and more eager to fight.

7. repentedboy

student la
    I have a feeling WYH and WSX will still be around in the next four years to rule the central plain together with LXR.

To be really honest, I cant say the same for the LXR actually because her fate will be decided by her results in London. She will fall out of favour if she failed to get one medal.

WX will not be around because she is too old plus her inconsistency will slowly force her to retire soon. WL on the other hand is still young but her ability is up to the point where she could try her best to play in the top tournaments again and no guaranteed good results.

I believe experience-wise, WSX is much needed because she is one of the few Chinese players that could deal with the Koreans and Japanese who will become a potential problem to the Chinese in team competitions.

After the Olympics, Baun and Schenk wont be around. Only left with this Nehwal to deal with.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    her fate is partly in her own hands. if she perform well and with no injuries, there is no reason to drop her. WYH failed and she pick herself up and now she is the top girl.

one tournament do not determine everything.

9. repentedboy

student la
    It doesnt take only one person's opinion to fail one person's career. Media and fan harassment will be a huge blow to the player's mental state. If LXR fails, she must be prepared for it.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    True. Besides, LXR has not been around long enough to build a profile of consistency. She like any other player, will have a couple of off days. Some will be insignificant, some may be huge.

But these players have demonstrated that they are the cream of the crop of WS players worldwide, at the moment. They are still young, fit and motivated. Who is to say they cannot be around in 4 or even 6 years time?

WSX has been generally very fit, injury-free and mentally one of the strongest girls around. I for one, will still believe she has all the attributes to shrug off this temporary glitch and come back stronger. IF the CBA make the effort to make the necessary adjustments to her game.... :mad:

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    LXR should be selected, since she is ranked higher than WSX

Most BCers already know what I think; regarding National Associations players and independent players going on their own, without their National Associations.

Link: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/93949-Professional-Players-going-Professional

No matter what ranking a player is, if he/she is a player from a National Association set-up, it is up to the National Association to make the selection.

In this case I agree with CBA; LXR should be selected, since she is ranked higher than WSX.

But on the other hand; Wasn't WSX sent to fewer tournaments just before the 2012 Olympics Qualification period, thus allowing LXR to overtake her ranking?

This is the issue, and this is what I have witnessed.

BCers' comments/replies are appreciated. :):):)

12. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    The Olympic qualification list was based on the ranking on May 03. On that day, WSX was ranked #3, and LXR was ranked #4. It's the dumb rule that allows the country to pick 3 out of 4. If it's just simply based on the ranking on May 03, WSX should go instead. It's not fair to WSX.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree. let's not forget the biggest flop in badminton Olympics history. Lin Dan in 2004.

it was up to him to pick himself up and he did. no one can stop him if he has the desire to. not even the media.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Very true, if Lin Dan's debacle in Athens 2004 OG could be forgiven,why not the rest? What's more,he was able to pick himself up and emerged stronger than ever. Sometimes,I'd like to say often,failure can be just as powerful a motivating force as success if one possesses the character and will to overcome it. It's all up to the individual,everything else is just noise which you can ignore or turn into music.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    VICTOR- BWF Superseries Finals 2010
    Finals Winner: WSX January 9, 2011

PROTON Malaysia Open 2011
    Finals Winner: WSX Jan 23, 2011

VICTOR Korea Open 2011
    Finals Runner-up: WSX January 30, 2011

YONEX All England Open 2011
    Finals Winner: WSX March 13, 2011

Badminton Asia Championships 2011
    WSX lost to Lu Lan in R16

16. repentedboy

student la

No the lost to Lu Lan was totally unexpected because apparently WSX was leading throughout the game and suddenly surprised to play the rubber set by Lu Lan. Halfway through, she felt tired and then she decided to give up.

Zhang Ning watching from the stand was like WTF is this girl up to. She confronted WSX after the defeat and she honestly told her that she gave up because she was tired.

Zhang Ning was really pissed at that time i remembered and later WSX cried. That was still alright, actually until the end of the Sudirman Cup, from there on people internally started to question whether WSX can actually maintain her form against foreign opponents. Doubt begins and LXR slowly climbed her way to the top four.

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    So that was the start of her downfall.

18. repentedboy

student la
    Not only that, I started to notice her completely lack of attacking play when she lost to Baun in the SG open semifinal and how dimensionless her game was.
    She does not seem to learn from her mistakes and tend to repeat the same thing even though it doesnt work. Naive and stubborn i think.
    The concern began and it turned out to be true when she was outclassed by Cheng Shao Chieh (an unexpected finalist) in London. She was upset by the defeat but the worst was she did not take anything from the defeat at all instead she promised that she would try to find a better way to beat her.

The remaining months of the 2011 season were the worst I have seen from WSX, she was stagnant and no improvement at all in her game.

WYH on the other hand is no better than WSX but she has better position because of her gifted height and she could create angles out of nowhere. WSX just played the same game over and over again.
    Having said that, she still could maintain a good performance (from the result perspective) by reaching the semifinal at least in almost every tournament.

The momentous point was her shocking first round defeat (her only early exit blow so far i could remember) from Ratchanok, which made everyone started to completely challenge their belief and confidence in WSX.

Curiously, in the same tournament LXR was on the rise and lost the tie to WX in the semifinal. WSX was completely broken at that time and promised again to find a solution before it's too late. However, her nightmare came true.

Still, with her capability I believe she could deliver a medal (not gold i am sure) compared to WX because I never put my money on inconsistent players.

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    repentedboy, thanks for your input. You must have felt bad watching her badminton career going downhill.

20. repentedboy

student la
    If the Koreans do rise to the occasion and win the gold instead of Nehwal/Baun, then LYB and the rest of the staff will be hugely blamed for their shortsightedness.

WSX is the solution to defeat the Koreans and Japanese players. Bear in mind, WX/WYH/LXR have to deal with these batch of players first before the QF (maybe not SJH). I can say on the spot WX and WYH are extremely vulnerable to these Koreas/Japanese.