want a racket with more 'omph'

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by skadias, Dec 22, 2011.

1. skadias

skadias New Member

Hi guys, first time posting here..

I'm currently looking for a racket that will give me more power. Previously i played with the 3rd gen (purple) Ti-10 but broke two of them within a year. So therefore i'm looking for a new racket thats more up to date and with more new tech in it..

I mainly play doubles, seldom singles, more of a wristy person, hence i'm looking for a doubles racket. I found while playing with the Ti-10, its excellent in control/placement, defense & drives.. but when it comes to power shots like smashes, it lacks the killer-shot factor..

I am an intermediate player and likes to play at the net, I want the confidence of being the 'back player' from time to time and able to do power shots, while not losing too much control at the nets.. Was considering Arc10 for its balance headweight (good at control & power but not best at either?), also considered the NR700's.. any suggestion guys? just considering the yonex range of rackets.. :) Thank you guys!!

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hi, and welcome to BC! :)

You're mostly on track with your options, but there's something that worries me. You mentioned that the Ti10 lacks the killer factor for you when it comes to smashes and power shots. Could it be that the Ti10 is a bit too stiff for your style of play? If so, you might want to think twice about the Arc10...

But the Nanorays appear to be a great option. Of course, if possible, you should first try out both the RP and FX before committing yourself. Also remember, the strings and tension will play an important part in bringing the best out of any racquet you choose...

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    NS9900, ARC-10 are the best rackets produced by YY imop. So if it must be YY those are the best ones ARC-Z, and all the VTs are really a step backwards imop, gimmick/economy before performance really).

And to reiterate cobalts point.. If you lack power from the back with Ti-10 its not the racket you should focus on!!!

4. skadias

skadias New Member

Hmm.. i just thought maybe a more balance/head heavier racket would improve my game a wee bit.. am doing some gym exercise designed by trainer & dumbells on biceps & triceps, wrist exercise at home to build up strength as i am of a skinny built, just find it difficult to generate power shots in my game.. a year or so ago i used 900p, found its has crazy amount of power, but when it comes to long games / placement, it became too taxing on my hands and therefore i lose performance, then my coach recommended me the ti 10 for its lightness and "wrist friendliness" as he himself was a placement/wristy person.. loved the ti 10, but sadly for me, lacked the power & durability :crying:.. btw, on both my ti 10's i used ngb98 on 25lbs..

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    After you say that handling 900P for a long game taxing your hand & arm, you should try Arc 10.. it is a nice racket to use, you won't easily feel tired with that racket although after some repetitive smashes.

I myself a 900P user, initially i feel that the racket taxing my arm & wrist after a long game, however slowly my body get used to it. 900P lacks in defense & speed, and Arc 10 compensates it well with the cost of power although it is not that much and for me it paid off for the speed & maneuverability it provides.

If you do like Ti.10 3rd gen headlight characteristic but still want to increase the power of it, you might try NS9900... I use NS9900 for double & 900P for single though...
    IMO, NS9900 is a nice attacking racket & it is also fast for defense, in short it is a well built racket.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The 900p is predominantly a singles racquet IMO. You need power and a certain amount of technique to be able to obtain consistent results from it.

If you aren't able to generate power on your shots, you may need to devote more time to practise on your technique; I've seen skinny guys playing awesome, and it's about technique first, muscles later for the additional 10-15%. You'd probably be better advised to work on strengthening your core; that will make an overall very positive difference to your game. Also, weights per se are not necessarily the answer; you need to mix up your routine with other stuff, if you are serious about improving your game.

For doubles play with the accent on touch and "wristy" stuff, I'd still go with the Nanospeeds or the Nanorays. I know you mentioned that you're looking at just Yonex, but if you want to widen the aperture a bit, you would do well to consider the MX80 (or a BS) or the Panda T-Pro. Those are all very good weapons. :)

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    A liitle bit out of topic, suddenly this thing bumps into my head.
    @cobalt
    In your opinion, which weight training is useful for Badminton player? Weight training or repetitive light weight training or both?

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I'm not the expert. I'm not even too knowledgeable! :D

I know that Mseeley had a lot of good suggestions in other threads. He's a real-life, certified coach in UK, so he knows what he's talking about - definitely more than me! :p I'll look for them and send you the links. Alternatively, you could do a search by member name Mseeley and check his posts.

I do know that the condition of your core directly affects your performance on court. The core controls all your movements on court. And then, the legs. The thing with weight training is: to know how much to do, because you need to increment the weights for optimum effect. I much prefer to settle in for circuit training and extended stretching/flexing routines, after a few days of isolated weights. When I don't do any regular training for a long time, I mess with resistance bands at home; it works for me! :D But the main thing is to train muscle memory and reactions; doing plyometrics is the real thing, but again, not unsupervised. Frankly, I'm too old and too slow to be interested in plyometrics! Maybe that's why I'm not on the local street team! :p

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Another viable option for the OP is to *continue* using his vt80, kinda like a training racket. As long as your arm, elbow, and shoulder can take it without too much pain, and you are patient over the next few months not minding losing most of your defense, then you will end up much stronger.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    VT80??:confused: Op used to have Ti10s, now broken... and messed a bit with a AT900p...

Edit: are you trying some of the subliminal auto-suggestion stuff? :D

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol! Too much wine still in my system. :p. Yeah, keep on using at900p or whichever head heavy racket he prefers to train himself.

12. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I will search for Mseeley. Thanks a lot cobalt for answering my question..

I agree with you " The thing with weight training is: to know how much to do " to the extent weight training did not influence our movement on court to be like Robot :p

13. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

arc10 is a pretty good all-rounder but its slightly head heavy though but li-ning's N50 has probably replaced if you're looking for the same profile. good thing though its sort of medium flex so you'll have the added power if you do end up at the back of the court.

but a good replacement for a Ti10 is definitely still the NS9900 (until they get a better nanoray). its has the same power and feedback as a ti-10 but still being quicker.

here is a good comparison between ti-10, ns9900 and the new nr700rp i picked up from a blog:
    Power: (Ti-10 = NS9900) > NR 700 RP
    Defense: NS9900 > (Ti-10 = NR 700RP)
    Feel: Ti-10 = NS9900 = NR700RP
    Control: (Ti-10 = NR700RP) > NS9900
    Maneuverability: NS9900 > NR700RP> Ti-10

you can always choose the 2u version for more power or something similar like the Victor BS10 :D

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Here are a couple of threads that have some very good discussions and information (references, links etc) w.r.t. training, weights, gym stuff etc.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...dy-in-the-gym-for-Badminton-Singles?highlight

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ut-exercises-are-good-for-badminton?highlight

15. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student

Thanks a lot cobalt, the more i read about core training, the more i find it to be useful. It also helps to prevent injuries. I guess i need to start core training really soon.... No wonder i have a lot of strange injuries although i have done stretching before badminton game.