Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Warming up your strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Jan 30, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

This probably sounds silly, but have you ever warmed up your strings after it's been outside in the cold? By the time I get to the gym, my racquet is usually half frozen, including the strings., which seems as stiff as my racquet. I warmed the string bed with a hair dryer when i got home today, and noticed a huge improvement in repulsion afterwards. (I bounced a bird up and down, which isn't exactly scientific, but I do think there is a difference.) I heard some talk awhile back about steaming your birds before playing... so does anyone steam/heat their strings before playing?

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

E-commerce content co-ordinator
    i've heard that if it is fairly cold and you don't have ur rackets in a thermo bag it is usually advisable to warm the strings up to prevent them snapping - since the elastic properties of strings are somewhat dependant on their temperature

i usually rub my hands together with the strings inbetween i usually deem to that to be enought - then the knock up does the trick - but i do have my racquets in a bag and with the racquet head covers on to warm up with

See ya

Neil

3. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    never really do that since i always have my racquets in a bag. this thread is somewhat related to what I posted about warming up a racquet.

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I have a pretty thick bag too but since I bike to the gym, and end up spending quite awhile in the -30'C weather until i'm inside, the strings are usually pretty forzen up by then. You know how your glassess fogs up when you enter a warm room from outside? I can see the "fog" water condensation on the racquet by the time I get there, which isn't too good for the racquet I guess, as mentioned in your other thread. Actually, kwun, could you merge the two threads? I started this before I noticed you guys talking about strings. I'd keep my racquet warmer, but i'd have no where to put it. It's already in a thermo bag with 4 layers of plastic shell sandwhiched in two layers of foam. It's alot warmer in TO now so I guess I dont have to worry about that too much now (only -2'C this evening.)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After read "jwu" 's scary thread about racket, now, I just run to gym from parking lot to make sure my beloved rackets won't follow the same fate.

Well, since I can't run fast, guess it just a matter of 3 min vs 5 min, which does not do too much against the frozen air outside. Well, at least, I tried, and consider this as a little warm up for my legs, too. :D

Errr... Did I metioned that since I "run" so slow, ppl still think I was walking? Or, jogging? :(