Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

What must i do to get a flexible and fast wrist?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, Oct 14, 2008.

1. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    LOL at #2 ...makes me think of Bruce Lee's push ups!!! XD

but yeah, twirling a rope or chain or gopher-chucks! should help. GO AT YOUR OWN PACE because over working anything will result in a longer recovery and sometimes... recovery won't get you fully back to original feel/strength.

also, hold a weight in the air in front of you with your arm fully extended 90degress rotating your wrist only in a figure 8 pattern for intervals of 15-20 seconds (rest 15-20sec, work out 15-20sec, etc.) make sure you use the full extension in rotation of your wrist. (ps: this is meant for one wrist at a time)

hope i helped anyone

2. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

I got mine from ebay. Signature series. Quite cheap compared to ordering locally.
    It's really fun and seems solid enough to last quite a while.
    And it IS addictive. My hand got blisters...handyplast and keep going...

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  4. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

damn, i can't ever seem to get it to come back at me like that. maybe something is wrong with my wall :p

5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Having a fast, flexible and powerfull wrist is a valuable assets for any Badminton player especially at the competitive level. And for single player,this is one capability that they must have inorder to have an edge against their opponent. When i had an opportunity to be trained with one of Malaysia 1970 ThomasCup Single Player for state level competition, this are the type of execrcise that i went through to improve my wrist work.

A.Out court training

1. Gym

- We use a light dumbell (less than 3kg) in agym(or buy/borrow one)and use it by moving your wrist up/down/left/right. Support your forearm with your lower leg but ONLY MOVE YOUR WRIST. Try it at a tolerate duration but i usually use do this anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour/session (with 3 session a day)

2. Bottle movement

At home, try to find a empty bottle and fill it with water/sand. Similarly move ONLY YOUR WRIST at a circular motion anti or clockwise. Do this also frequently at your own comfort at home.

3. Skipping

Not just use any skipping rope. The aim is to provide much workload to your wrist, so buy a skipping rope that carries weight at its handle. Before skipping, the technique also need to be correct by stretching your arm straight and ONLY MOVE YOUR WRIST. Honestly i do this skipping technique anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 a day.

B.In court training

1. Racket swingging

Swing the racket fast at a short distance with different type of hitting techniques e.g forehand stroke, backhand stroke etc. If you have the cover for the racket, use it. Train this inside the court by covering all the angles as you're like playing.

2. Shuttlecock drill

This exercise will require someone to feed you will shuttlecocks and you need it hit it. For wristwork, hit the shuttle in front of you at a fast and short movement.

6. rohanh

rohanh Regular Member

Try using a (full) wine bottle to strengthen up your wrist. Hold it by the stem and move it back and forth in all directions (including diagonals). Do this for 15-20 mins a day and you'll be surprised by the difference. This has certainly worked for me.

7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    best way to strengthen wrist is to use a squash racket whilst doing footwork. and put your cover on whilst doing taps.

It kills your wrist but it strengthens it very quickly

8. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Marketing
    Play with the wall with a practice racket (120-160grm).
    By doing this your wrist muscle will be trained like in the real time.
    You will have the momentum/reflex with the bird as well as you have the power cause you use a heavier racket.

I saw some prof doing this, OMG you can't imagine how he did it, so quick and powerful.