what supplements do u take to recover body stamina?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by geeza23, May 27, 2010.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I see you list your location as Miami.

In the US, I believe there is an abundance of rich food. Perhaps you didn't need to take anything extra as the normal diet has plenty of carbs e.g. a trip to dunkin' donuts would suffice.:)

2. NeilPM

NeilPM Regular Member

Student | Waiter
    They even have a shop that sells protein shakes, like a fast food, drive through or over the counter.

3. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Yeah. Come to think of it I did go to smoothie king quite often :)

Funny enough back then I ate like a pig and still only weighed 59 kilos and I am 1.68 meters tall (google conversions FTW). I'm now up to 65.8kg :(

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Some added info that may be helpful.

There appears to be a two-hour optimal window immediately after the cessation of exercise for the administration of carbohydrates. Simple carbohydrates appear to be the preferred replacement during this replenishment period.

The rule of thumb is to take about 1-1.5 grams of carbs / bodyweight Kg immideately after training session, and then go with 0.2-0.3 grams /kg every 15 minutes or so for the next couple of hours. And then about 0.8gram/kg every second hour, to maximise resynthesizis.

Supplementing with additional protein also helps to faster get from catabolism to metabolism and stop the breakdown of muscles. But it is of course VERY important to plan muscle-resting time in order to build muscles and not only tear the muscles down by training. Periodization and palnning for load-training and more specialized training to transitional training from Type II to Type I fibers etc.

BCAA, L-glutamine and other amino supplements are all good, but using std. Soya, Whey or cassein protein generally have enough of these aminos anyway. So I would recommend just go with some whey protein, and maybe some extra Cassein before sleep, skip the separated amino-acid supplements if you are not "really" fine tuning all food/supplements on a very detailed level with a higly specialized nutritional coach.

Also DO NOT underestimate the power of sleep!! Without enough sleep, your recovery will be ****! Sleep is extremely important for a serious athlete recovery.

Other good supplements to always supplement is Omega3 fish-oil, and glucosamin, good for joints/knees etc.

Cheers,
    Twobeer

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Indeed :cool:. Sleep should be your hobby, think it might be LYD's hobby :D, not to mention some other world class athletes'. Ryan Lochte: "Ultimate way to relax: sleeping" ;)

------------
    Sleep Extension Improves Athletic Performance And Mood: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090608071939.htm -> Snooze You Win? It's True for Achieving Hoop Dreams, Says New Study

6. TraineeSneakers

TraineeSneakers Regular Member

Student
    if its to recover stamina.....high sugar high cal drinks, coke, mountain dew etc
    and gatorade.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    "Rest is a weapon"
    -- Jason Bourne from his Delta days...

8. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

try drinking a pint of chocolate milk.

studies have shown choc milk is the best for recovering from a workout as you get a healthy blend of simple sugars, complex sugars, protein and fats that help your body rehydrate and rebuild.

plus it tastes good.

i don't recommend between sets though. its a post workout drink :D

9. GhostJ

GhostJ New Member

I drink 500 ml of Gatorade (lemon/orange) after a game. Really refreshing

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If you feel you've kinda overworked your muscles and need a hand with muscle/tissue rebuilding etc, then mixing some Glutamine with your milk or shake and banana post-workout is always a good idea. Sometimes I add a bit of Creatine just for fun.

But I knew this group of guys who used to head out for a couple of beers immediately post-workout, and it didn't seem to harm them at all!! :D