Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

wrist and knee/shin pain? help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by azn_bdmntn_boi, Apr 7, 2007.

1. azn_bdmntn_boi

azn_bdmntn_boi Regular Member

after playing at my local recreation center, my wrist and knee started to hurt, and i was wondering if u guys know any ways to prevent and treat these injuries. i know that going to the doctor is the best choice, but my wrist really doesnt hurt a lot, just some minor pain when doing backhands using a lot of wrist.

my knee has been injured before, well kind of. about 7 months ago i went to see the doctor and he said that my knee hurt because my activity level increased dramatically over a short period, of time (i played 7 days a week during the summer) and told me to rest ice, stretch and strengthen it. after i did, it got a lot better. but this time, its a different kind of pain, somewere just below the kneecap, maybe its shin splints or something, but i don't think its as low as the shin. but the thing is, i didnt do anything very stressful to my knees, and it hurt after about and hour of playing. i can still climb stairs and easy stuff like that, but i cant do lungs and hop on one leg. so do any of u guys know how i could help my knee recover? would stretching, and using a treadmill help? and if so, for how long and how often?

as for my wrist, it doesn't hurt a lot, and im hoping that it will heal in a week or so, probably because i did too many backhands, but i was wondering if i could help it by strechting or icing it. and how would i stretch the wrist? would it be stretching the forearm? would doing dumbell curls help my wrist get stronger? o, and a very general question about badminton, i was wondering if most of my power should come from my wrist or not, as i have read both sides of the arguments in this forum, and i am really confused.

im really sorry about this long post, as it is geting late, im im kinda scared, because if these kind of injuries occur so oftern, then i might develop a phsycological fear of playing badminton or something:(

i know that i asked so many questions, but i would appreciate your answers a lot, and i you don't have any, thanks for reading this anyways!:)

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

independently unwealthy, part-time tennis instruct
    Dynamic stretching prior to training or playing and static stretching after badminton. Try a search for more info on that. Also ice (or ice massage) after badminton, never right before. Ice several times a day.

Did you check out the Pain in the Legs thread? --

badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42074

Check out the links there in posts #6 and #11 as well as some of the other posts that talk about orthotics.

The wrist problem could be from gripping your racket handle too tightly. (That appears in quite a few threads). You might be using too much wrist extension or flexion rather than other means of producing power -- forearm rotation (pronation & supination), torso rotation, or finger power (squeezing technique).