Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Kain, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Kain

Kain Guest

I have only seen a few people play with prince rackets but the people Ive played with have had immense smash power. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the odd Y-joint?

Does anyone know the purpose of the Y-joint?
  2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Apr 25, 2002
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I used to play with a Prince Y-joint (the Response, a now obsolete model) and that wasn't a bad racquet actually.

The idea behind the Y-joint was to create a larger sweet spot by elongating the main strings, and to construct a stiffer frame with little torsion. This is just what a hard smasher would look for in a racquet, so maybe that's why they were attracted by Prince. There may be some truth to it, what do I know, but I think it's important to distinguish between facts and marketing BS. You won't get a hard smash just because you have a certain racquet. It's the player, not the racquet, that produces the power.