Yonex BG80 power

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Blitzzards, Jul 14, 2011.

1. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I wonder if Yonex plan to 'phase-out' the BG80 with the power version in the same way the ultimax replaced the BG66? I hope not as I really like the original.

221.jpg

2. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Agree. That's why BG80 gives the impression that's more durable. It looses A LOT of tension fast and then of course it's less likely to snap.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just following up on my comment above.

I've strung my BSLYD with BG80P at 29lb and have to say it feels very nice indeed. I previously had VS850 which played very well but lost tension incredibly fast, and with it playability too.

BG80P is similar to VS850 in terms of feel but is more powerful. I would have preferred it if it was a little rougher but it's not bad.

As others have said, it is a softer version of BG80 and I cannot agree more. I don't like hard strings like BG80, although the repulsion is there, I do like to feel the shuttle more. So I think BG80P suits me better. In terms of power, it's outstanding. Definitely better than VS850. I didn't have a chance to hit 100% power smashes with it, but even with 80% power smashes, I've noticed it is more powerful than the VS850. Control is good overall, but as it doesn't feel as rough as fresh VS850 or BG80, it's not quite as good for net play...

Overall, I think this is so far the best string for the BSLYD. But it's too early for me to say how well it holds tension.

For those who prefer BG80 but want a sharper and more repulsive feel with nicer sound, may I suggest BG85. It's essentially a thinner version of BG80. I'm testing this on my ArcZSTH at 29lb so far, with a few test shots, it feels quite good. Will know more after club night this week.

4. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    Well, BG80P seems not as powerful as BG80.
    I suspect the power goes from the string itself to BG80(P)<- package ;)

Sorry for the bad joke. IMHO Yonex designs BG80P for players use high tension (28lbs+). It feels softer compare to BG80 at same tension (if you string it <28lbs).

But beyond 28lbs, it feels hard and powerful. Stick to BG80 original if you play <28lbs.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Good point - IME, BG80 starts to lose power past 30 lb, but I suspect 80P will carry on a bit further.

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I may have to convert to this from zymax 62/65 for the sound alone! Power and tension holding are also good.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Power yes, tension hold no. BG80P doesn't hold tension very well imo. I'm using 30-31lb and tension loss is quite noticeable at that tension. BG80P is very similar to VS850 in many respects, but if you're willing to sacrifice a little feel for tension hold, I recommend NBG99. My current go-to string.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Thanks for the recommendation. It's on my to-try list.

I took someone else's word for it on the tension loss, will get carltune to verify. You never know, I might have done an awesome job stringing it :)

9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    You have a stringing machine, why do you care about holding tension? You know you're going to cut the strings in a few weeks anyway.

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Cost of string. Cost of keeping the wife happy while stringing. I'm lazy. Customers choosing this string should be advised it won't hold tension like zymax/will feel too tight initially.

11. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    A happy wife? What are they?

Anyway, I think BG80P holds tension well enough for the average club player who strings around 24-26lb.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well, I don't play as much as I used to. Once a week at most now so they tend to stay on the racquets for some time.

Cost and effort aside, it's actually quite wasteful to throw away good string just because the tension has gone down. It's like buying new tyres everytime the pressure goes down.

Yes there's not a lot we can do the tension loss, but having tried many different strings that do retain tension well, it seems a shame that BG80P and other quality strings say VS850 couldn't do better.

Admittedly BG80P isn't as bad as VS850, but it does lose tension relatively quickly. To give you an idea of how I perceive the tension loss, on a scale of 1-10 I would rate BG65Ti at 5/10, BG80P at 5/10, VS850 at 4/10 and NBG99 at 8/10.

I love the consistency of NBG99, I get say 80% of the performance of fresh NBG99 right up until it snaps. Whereas with BG80P, VS850, BG65Ti I have to keep on stringing to maintain a good level of performance.

I might try stringing a set of BG80P at an even higher tension, say 32-33lb and see how it performs when it drops to my preferred tension 29-30lb.

Curvy likes this.
  13. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

did you prestretch it?

14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Don't think that the stated durability from @jhirata is a general rule. Most of my customers play 3-4 times a week. The guys which go for 28lbs with BG80 according my database break it in 3-6 weeks depending on weather condition and play style.

I doubt that BG65 lasts a month at real 33lbs. I string regular for a good friend ( high ranked junior state player in Germany) with BG65 @30/32lbs PS and he broke it regular in 2 weeks.

IMO there is a bias towards BG65. BG80@28 vs. BG65@33, the BG65 will pop earlier.

Simeon likes this.
  15. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

I believe is depend on the player. How hard they hit.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I believe that there are a lot possible reason for such a story, but building a rule of thumb based on a bad experience is too much for my ears. Especially when 2 different stringers are involved.

17. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Legitimately have a crush on this string now.

18. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Imo BG80P holds tension slightly better than BG80 but is kind of hard deadwood for me. The sound is muzzled bereaved of feedback. It does have good power if not better than BG80. Both are different animals and should stay. Agree hands down on NBG99. It has everything a 0.69mm string shouldn't have; great repulsion, control, feel, holds tension pretty well.. Except that it isnt as durable as what one would expect from a 0.69mm

19. Belgian

Belgian Regular Member

student
    I used to play with BG65 for years. Lately I wanted to change to see if another string would really add a bit more power. I changed 1 of my rackets to BG80 en I loved it. I could hit the shuttle faster and harder with smaller movements. There is one little problem. When I play a few hours, I can feel the hardness of the BG80 slightly affecting my wrist, thumb and shoulder. I feel something during certain shots while doing the warming-up. And the next day I sometimes feel my shoulder, which never happened with BG65.

So I tried this BG80P this week hoping it would bring the same power an similar feeling as BG80 (a feeling in between the 65 and the 80) but without the slight pain since it's a bit softer. I didn't like it however. I hit the shuttle out way more often than usual and I felt like I had less control. When I changed back to the regular BG80 my play went back to normal. My stringbed moved more than usual as well. (I like sliced shots)

Am I the only one who experienced this? And is there another string that might suit me better? (a slightly softer BG80).
    My stringer only has yonex strings.

20. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I trained at a camp this week end with a kid from the top 100 in France. In one morning he snapped a Victor TKF in half (middle of the shaft) and broke two strings. He had a real of BG65 with him so I assume it was the string he uses.

No idea about his tension but I was pretty surprised he went through 3 rackets in 3 hours of practice with BG65... (3 hours including non racket training time)

Meanwhile my LN #1 at 12kgs doesn't snap before a month :rolleyes:.

It all depends of the user really (including his tension, level and style of play).