Yonex BG80 power

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Blitzzards, Jul 14, 2011.

1. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

tah dah, you can try BG65 too. feel quite tight at 26 (will drop to 24 in a few days)

2. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

So did anyone try BG80p on VT80 at higher tension?

3. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I had a go at 25x27 on an arcsaber 10 and did the same 25x27 with bg-80 on another arcsaber 10 as comparison/control which both rackets had the same specifications. both were strung one after another.

After about 15 hours on the bg-80 power as well as the normal bg-80, i found that the former has a tad bit more power than the latter but the latter has slightly better feel and response.

and both seems to hold tension well. or at least the bg-80 power was quite alright with holding its own tension as I was used to the bg-80's characteristics.

Conclusion:
    Power/ Repulsion: BG-80 Power > BG-80
    Control: BG-80 Power > BG-80
    Feel: BG-80 > BG-80 Power
    Hitting sound: Both probably about equal with very crisp sounds coming from rightly timed shots. (BG-80 Power may be a tad bit deeper sounding compared to the BG-80's slightly high pitched sounds)
    Durability: No clue yet but it is looking good at the moment for me as I've done quite a few shots which could've broken some strings in other cases but the BG-80 Power is holding its own.

4. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

too late, already got it on my MX80 @ 24lbs:crying:

No power!!!! Arghhhhh!:(

5. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    agreed. the string is dull. no responsive as vs850. thumb down from me...

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I tested BG80P (orange) vs BG80 (yellow) at 30lbs, in short; I didn't like it...

what I love about 80 is the crisp feeling and that solid punch on a shot, it hardly loses tension as well. bg80P felt like it was strung 1-2lbs lower and just a toned down and weakened version of 80.
    I'll bet durability will be better, but I broke mine on a mishit the first week.

I'd recommend 80P for people who like a somewhat soft stringbed, for the rest I see no reason to shell out more money for a string I like less

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    As a user of BG80's for over 10 years, I gave BG80 Power a try as they have "BG80" in the name. I strung two rackets up, one at 32lbs and the other at 34. Tried playing with many types of feathers as well as plastics. The string feels tremendously dull! It absorbs the energy on every shot and the feeling is somewhat reminiscent of the Nanology line which I hate the most. It's somwhat more slippery than regular 80s which means you lose control on the touch shots.

I did the best I could to readjust my timing and my smashes seemed decent. However, it felt like I had no clue where I was aiming. It felt like I was just swinging and the bird would travel in a much more wide spread area as compared to regular 80's where there's an area of focus.
    Overall, drives become harder as it absorbs, netshots aren't so great as there's not much feel, clears and smashes felt uncontrollable, but we're decent.

The only good thing I have to say is that it feels super durable and the strings don't move around on the string bed as much as regular 80's even when fresh. That said, I don't think I will be ordering this stuff again. They would need to discontinue 80's before I'd even consider switching!

8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

agree with many players above that this string is very dull!

I can't find much of any similarity of this one to normal BG80. Well, it's a string for some one else, not me.

9. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    +1 and I hope they never discontinue the normal 80's
    and for me the hard feeling was missing on the 80power

10. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Seriously, where is the 'power' part of BG80 Power? Can anyone find this elusive 'power', at any tension????

11. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

To be frank, i have used it at 28LB and i find the hitting sound is slightly muted compared to BG80. There seems to be different camps on its control. Perhaps some are used to the crisp, high pitched sound of BG80 and its co-relation to the impact and feel and may find the slightly muted BG80P inferior. I beg to differ on this as i actually think the control has improved over BG80. This may be the same reason why some feel it is not as powerful. Without being deceived by the sound, I actually find that BG80P is very slightly easier to wield power than BG80. It is also slightly less hard than BG80, where some may feel easier to play with. Durability wise, BG80P is at least 50% more durable in imho so far. Heard that 90% of the players play with BG80 (quoted from a Denmark Open stringer) so BG80 is here to stay. It's all about what kind feel you are looking for.

12. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    I restrung my MX80 with BG80P at 24 pounds and honestly...I have no idea why it has BG80 in it's name at all. No similarities at all. It feels incredibly dull and you just don't get the same feedback that BG80 gives. It also feels softer at the same tension and it seems to move around a lot. However, I do feel that the strings are slightly more powerful, albeit at the loss of precision. The sound of these strings are also surprisingly dull and low pitched compared to BG80 at 24 pounds. More of a thwack than a ping. Sounds a lot like BG70 Pro which isn't a good thing.

Summary

Pros: Very slightly more power, awesome orange colour, seems to be more durable than BG80

Cons: Dull soft feeling, very little feedback, less control, dull sound.

Unless you absolutely want the awesome orange colour, the price of these strings don't justify its performance.

13. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I guess we're all pretty much coming to the same conclusions with this string!

14. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I see there is a lot of negative comments about this string, its good I am not excited about trying these strings just as I am not excited about using BG80, for me I don't like BG80 although it has a lot of power it has that hard feeling which isn't that great, so if BG80P would be worse I guess.

15. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    If you don't love 80's due to its hard feel, I don't see why you shouldn't try these out. They have a softer feel and may appeal to you!

16. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Really?? It is because I prefer BG66 or BG66UM

17. istringforyou

So what is the conclusion? That BG80P is inferior to BG80? I think it's subjective. BG80P offers something that BG80 may not have and vice versa.

18. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

true, BG80P excels in some area where BG80 is found lacking, esp the durability department. But BG80 fans will find it annoying as BG80P is not exactly the "power" version of BG80, the dull feeling is a big minus. IMO Yonex has done better job on BG66 series, like BG66S, BG66M, and BG66UM.

19. istringforyou

As i have commented that BG80P's seemingly muted sound as compared to BG80 has set the wrong tone of expectations. Most tend to co-relate sound to power to feel and the combination of such in BG80 has led to a habit out of the 'feel'. I agree BG80P's muted sound is somewhat disappointing. But the chain stops here. I certainly think that objectively, BG80P is quietly doing its job and even slightly better than its predecessor without getting its deserved recognition. I am sure i was raining powerful swift lightning strikes with slightly more ease than BG80 on the same racket without the thunder. To the BG80 die hards, BG80P is indeed an anti-climax. It just doesnt feel right or what it should have been or what all have been wanting a new BG80 to be. Just like an out of sync or an english dubbed asian movie. I admit i did feel the same too but on the other hand i also realise what BG80P is intended to be, definitely not what we mere mortals want it to be, it seems. However i believe if one had tried BG80P before BG80, he/she may be able to give a more objective opinion.

I cant exactly say we have a winner in BG80P, because afterall it ultimately boils down to the market response which in this case seems abysmal. Nor i can say BG80P is a loser. Simply because it is indeed slightly better than BG80 in most department except the most crucial one - hitting sound. And the one and only deficiency led to a chain of undesirable reaction. Imagine if BG80P sounds as loud or louder than BG80, then suddenly everything may seem to gel and emerge as a winner.

#139 istringforyou, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  20. anthemtwins

anthemtwins Regular Member

Software Developer
    I know this isn't a popular opinion round here, but so as to not deter people from trying BG80P I'd like to say I massively prefer BG80P to regular BG80 and think it's a great string.
    For your reference I have traditionally preferred medium feeling strings, BG66, BG66UM & NBG98 so if you do too, I'd recommend trying it out.

Compared to BG80 I've found BG80P a friendlier/easier string to play with that is very durable.
    It feels slightly more powerful than BG80 for me, and less harsh without a lack of crispness. (I completely appreciate this is subjective and what many people love about BG80)

I can see how it might be a disappointment to a hardcore/long term BG80 fan, as it is quite different and many will find the name misleading but for me personally it's an improvement on BG80 in every way and a great string.
    I've strung and used it at all tensions from 24-28lbs.

So in summary if you are more of a 'medium feel' string fan then definitely give it a try.
    It's one of my current favourite strings along with Li-Ning NS70 and Victor VS-850.

Hope this is if some use/help to you all!

Mat