Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Yonex Ti-5 Titanium Mesh string enquires

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by whitneythen, Oct 28, 2012.

1. whitneythen

whitneythen New Member

Student
    Hi all!

I recently purchased a Yonex Ti-5 Titanium Mesh 2011 Limited Edition from ebay. It should be arriving soon and I am so excited. I am currently using Yonex Arcsaber 009DX and I can't say I like it because it just seems to heavy.

Anyways, it is written on the racket specs that the string tension is suggested at 15~20lbs. Isn't that a little too low? I'm a bit confused about that. Could anyone explain or clear my doubt about it?

I used to use Ti-5 a few years back when I was still an active player but I broke it. If I remember correctly, I used 22lbs then. It was the original version. I'm not sure if it was real or a counterfeit but it served me well.

Also, if anyone could suggest to me what string I should use? I have a good natural strength, can easy hit all the way to the base line and decent control with net shots. As a women's player my advantage definitely is my strength and 'slightly' above average tactical play on the net shots. My biggest weakness is that I'm a lazy mover even though I have the 'semi-right' footwork.

Thanks for your time!

2. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

The recommended tension is just for warranty purposes. If you go above 20lbs, Yonex won't give you a new racket if it breaks because of string tension. That being said, i don't think anyone has ever broken a racket stringing it below 25lbs (assuming they did it correctly)

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree, and if you want more control then go with a thinner string, a thicker string for more power. that's the really general idea, but power and control can also come from your arm so just because you are using a thinner string doesn't mean you can't have power. then there's also stiffness of the string based on how it feels which is a little harder to rate.