Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

That's not what I said, though, is it?

2. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

"1: I don't care what your technique is like, strings should last more than 3-6hrs before failing due to fraying." -amleto

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Exactly. Sorry that you can't understand plain English. Let me spell it out: I said whatever your technique, strings should last more than 3-6 hours. I did not say technique has no effect at all.

4. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Please do not insult my English. I take offense to that when I am trying to have a civil discussion and it is just used as a null point of putting the opposing person down when you fail to articulate your point across clearly.

Why "should" a string manufacturer produce a product to abide by your abuse when you use it in a way it was not originally designed for? Please show me the warranty documentation of any string manufacturer that promises string durability of at least six hours of playing time irregardless of how it is being used.

I had shown to myself through experimentation that with a specific technique, I can almost on demand fray and snap any string I have come across well before your suggested time frame of usage when the string is freshly strung. I have also proven to myself if I avoid such techniques when I use the strings, I can drastically improve the durability of the string. You do not seem to be able to accept a possible fact that the string is not all to blame. I only ask for your consideration.

Again, I am just sharing the findings of my thorough experimentation with many samples in variation with the same conclusion in hopes of helping people by shedding light on something they may not have thought about before. You are arguing with me while admitting you have only tried one string in the line, one time and suggesting it was not enough to make a conclusion, yet here we are. Even if your technique is perfect, with only one sample, have you ever considered there may have been other faults committed along the way? Maybe something happened during stringing and slipped through your guard. No one will truly know because it is impossible to make a valid judgement call off one sample tested by yourself.

Another example I can provide of such philosophy would be from the performance automobile world. I have seen it many times where the clutch in a manual transmission car is in question. If a person is constantly having issues of burning out clutches very early in its supposed life expectancy, their ego immediately points at product failure when in fact the person spends 80% of the driving time with their foot depressed half way on the clutch pedal. Of course under such conditions, any clutch, no matter the quality, will melt under the unintended extra stress. Yes, there may actually be something wrong with that one clutch, but other factors should also be considered in the diagnostic. Sure, you can always go out and buy a different clutch that might last slightly longer under such circumstances, but the underlying issue was never resolved.

I request that such insulting language cease as per forum rules because it does not add to the discussion in any way. My understanding of the English language is how it is. Any mention of your superior language skills in attempt to belittle mine, are in no way a valid means of proving your point, or disproving mine.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I would also count in the tension and used shuttle. 3-6 hours can be pretty much for a thin string at high tension with slow shuttles or plastics.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[MENTION=44920]vctrku[/MENTION] If someone tells you they didn't say something, and you quote their own post back at them, you better be sure you get it right... and you didn't.

Strawman argument. Do you understand this or do I need to articulate better? Nobody said this so I wont waste time arguing either way. They're strings on a badminton racket. Unless you're playing with razor blades they should work...

One thing that is not clear is what people mean when they talk about durability in terms of hours/weeks etc - what do they mean? I take it to mean x hours of 'normal' use, ie club nights, league play etc. For some this may include some coaching, including me, but I don't think this is the norm. Of course you can rip through strings if you're doing hours of multi-feed slice smash/heavy slice. However this is a disingenuous comparison when others are implicitly talking about 'normal use'.

No, in my case not this is ruled out since there were numerous fraying sites packed in the middle of the sweet spot. If there was a stringing issue it would be nick at a single location and the string would just snap.

Sure, in general. However, in my case ruled out since I don't go though similar 'clutches' all the time.

So the only variable change is the string. Sure could be manufacturing fault or someone dropped in liquid nitrogen or...

Add into the mix that I'm not the only person to see extremely short lifespan from this string but not others... and you chime in with 'seems like a technique issue'. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

#2086 amleto, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. detailermart

detailermart Regular Member

Profesional Detailer
    anyone feels zymax 62 similar to lining ap62 turbo?

8. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    just stringed my vt80etune with zymax 65 with 28lbs. its quite nice to play with. on par with bg66um. but the downside is the string moves a lot

9. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Latest ZM66F moves less. An improvement over the 65.

10. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    So its normal for z65 to move a lot?

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    It's normal for the first generation ZyMax strings to move alot.

12. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    my Z65 is red. it should be 2nd gen right?

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    By first gen I mean the first line up of ZM. Like 62 65 67 and 70. Not. Including the different mk 1 and 2 revisions. Gen 2 to me refers to the Fire strings.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Ermmm... you're messing up with our general understanding.

Gen 1 Zymax refers usually to ZM62 gen 1 when it was actually 0.62mm. Then gen 2 ZM62 became 0.65mm. There was no ZM65 in gen 1.

ZM Fire is a completely different entity altogether.

15. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Ch1k0 statement is to my understanding too...

16. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Correct!
    Gen 1: ashaway only released Zymax 62, 67 and 70. (Packaging had white background for labels)

Gen 2: released version 2 zymax 62, 65, 67 and 70. (Existing packaging with red font and black background)

Zymax Fire/Fire Power is a completely different series.

Anytime we refer to gen 1 or gen 2 we are referring to the original zymax series not the fire/fire power.

17. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    If Gen2 ZM62 is .65mm, then whats the gauge for ZM65...?

18. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Ashaway changed the way they measured the gauge to be whilst under tension, which is why everything in gen 2 is automatically thicker than the gen 1 equivalent.

19. someone

someone Regular Member

Great read, thanks for your experience.

That's explain why most of string broken on my racket happens when i lend my racket to some random pass-by people who claim to know how to play badminton but didn't play for long time. I hit harder than them but i hardly break my own string but they managed to broke one in short time.

20. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    62 is the most textured thin string out there right? Or do I have it wrong?

Looking for a good hybrid to pair with 890 / 850.