Wow! So many new threads.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by vince, Mar 21, 2001.

1. vince

vince Guest

This forum became very active lately, I wonder if the slow respond time cause by this? With so many new threads, missed a day, miss a lots. Due to the slow site and my antique computer, I can not possible read all threads and sub threads. Before, the site is fast and less to read, now the site is much slower and lots to read, not good!

Off topic.
    Hi Kelvin, you're right, yeah it me. Haven't see you at VS for while, I thought you've left town. I was wondering why you had my cell number and didn't call, I guess you must stored my number wrong. Anyway, talk to you on Friday.
    Oh, Kelvin, I think you're much smarter than I am, can you help me unmask cooler identiy? Let me know this Friday, if you have a clue.

Hi cooler, I haven't keep up with this forum for 2 days now, this site is getting extremely slow for me, very fustrated. FYI, I rank somewhere between 70-110 in Alberta ranking. It easy to find out where I rank, because I am new to the list (first ranking tournament I am in), look for a new non-caucasian name. Are you rank?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    vince, I'm not sure whether poliferation of threads have caused the slowdown in your part. Maybe partly. I try to selectively read now, it's hard to read every thread now.

I dont play tournaments. No spare times. However, i do play with or challenge some ranked players so i would know approximately when i rank. I get pleasure from playing the game while learning and trying now techniques, not so much to beat my opponents. Also, this way i can lay low and anonymous. Good luck buddy.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I agree on the speed issue. There is something about the new design that makes the pages slow to display, after everything has loaded... and I'm on a fast computer. It looks nice and everything, but I think the stripped version was more functional. Especially now, when each topic often has 20+ replies...

And Kwun: can we increase the number of topics displayed on the first page? These days, a new topic almost disappears to the next page during its first day...

4. May

May Guest

Yeah, sometimes, u can't find the topic u want and it can be quite frustrating.

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Silent yet deadly strategy! :)
    I like it. hehehe...

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I think I know who Cooler is now....

After a little thinking, I'm just about positive I know who Cooler is now.
    hehehe... Don't worry Cooler, I wont give your Identity away, nor will I give away Vince's
    Now... I do need one answer from you Cooler...
    Are you friends with someone named Chris Chow?
    If so, I know who you are then.
    Anyways... like I said in another thread... you guys get your partners for doubles, and I'll get ready for a singles game, as I completely am crap in doubles, as you've both seen.
    Talk to you guys soon.
    -Kelvin

7. vince

vince Guest

Re: I think I know who Cooler is now....

Hi Kelvin, didn't expect you to call me so early, or call me at all. I have to apology for the abrupt hangup, my cell battery die suddently, didn't bring an extra battery or charger to work; it would be good if I have your number so I could return your call. Yeah cooler is very careful what he write, he will give you an answer but not the answer you expected, kinda like a politician (Not that anything is wrong with that). It strange, the more he try to be anonymous, the more I like to know who he is. Everytime I see a new person at VS, I wonder if that person is cooler because I'm very much like to play him. They say curiosity kills, maybe that's what I'm feeling right now at VS. I guess I should respect cooler decision to stay anonymous but I'm pretty sure he has an good idea who I'm, the playing field is somewhat uneven.

To cooler:
    Unlike you, I don't just play to improve my skill, I play to win or to lose, it benefit me either way. If I lose, the better because it give me a new perspective of my weakness and what aspect of the game I must improve on.

PS. I hope you are not offended by Kelvin and I trying desperately to figure out who you are, it's a fair game, right?

8. vince

vince Guest

Yes, it been very frustrating, it was nice before. I wonder the delay cause by the changes Kwun made in this forum or just a bad hosting site. If Kwun changes are the causes, I would be a happy camper if he unchanges, graphic and looks are nice but it's not essential to have. Plain vanilla is good enough, if it serves the purpose.

I will try this forum in the public library, if there is a huge different in respond time, I will definely will buy a new computer in this coming few months.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

unless u have less than a P166, buying a new computer wouldn't not speed up your internet surfing. It's really depends on your ISP connections: 56k analog modem, isdn, dsl or cable are the common type of connection available to common people. T1 and T3 are even better if one could afford it. Public libraries likely use isdn unless they have changed ISP to dsl type due to lowering of dsl cost.

I do not think kwun changes on the look of BC are the causes of the slowdown.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cooler is correct. the connection slowdown is more because of the connection than anything else. i have been testing out the connection from my work to the webhost, and indeed the connection is not always responsive. i am looking into a new webhost, if anyone knows of a good one, let me know.

the new look changes actually lowers the size of each page. i made it so that the server actually do more work and as a result, minimizing the page size.

anyway..

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Contact...

Kwun,

My friend is a webmaster... you might want to give them an email to learn more, or go to their website at
    http://www.UOweb.com

I hope they can help you out.
    Say that Kelvin recommended you. ;)
    Maybe they'll give you a deal?

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    A contributing factor

Kwun, did you ever check the code that is generated for a page (such as this one)? It contains loads of errors... This would be the culprit for the slow redraws, because the browser has to decide how to cope with these errors. It's not a bandwidth problem, it's a HTML problem. If it could be cleaned up, we would see a speed increase. Bring a page into Dreamweaver and you'll see what I mean.

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    wait...

Kwun,

I'm not sure if that link I gave you will help at all. :(

Email them first, to find out... because I'm still not exactly quite sure what those guys are doing... (there's only two of them running the company...)

Sorry, I can't really help.

14. vince

vince Guest

I'm falling way behind in the technology trend, don't laught, I'm using a pentium120 and a 28000 modem. Sad huh? Oh, I'm also using 3web (free internet access) so everything is slow as hell, the only thing that run smoothly is the 3web advertisement. Yeah a new computer will do me good, the delay respond time in this site is not bad when accessing in the library and at work. If Kwun able to get a better hosting site would be good but a new computer for me is better. Thanks again, Cooler.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

vince, you can buy a used 56k modem for 10$. People who moved up to cable or adsl connection have no need of their old 56k modem.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I can donate my Pentium 100Mhz to you if you want. You need to collect it though.

17. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Vince, if you have electronics superstores near you, such as Best Buy, Circuit City or CompUSA, you should be able to pick up a 56k modem for free or at least for under $10, after rebates - they seem to run that kind of special at least once a month.

A friend of mine had free internet service from Yahoo, said it was fast and he could also mostly minimize the ad banners so they weren't too annoying. This was about six months ago and I am not sure if Yahoo still offers this service anymore. A lot of the free internet services that sprung up a year or two ago have either gone bust or discontinued the free service, but it should be worth looking at - good luck.

18. vince

vince Guest

Thanks guys for the offer and suggestion. $10 for a 56k modem sounds great, but $10 can buy me 2 dozens of delicious Tim Horton donuts. Yummy! The problem I find with upgrade is the the never ending of upgrade and more upgrade. $10 for modem, $100 for hardrive, $100 for video card, $300 for a monitor, $300 for a new motherboard, $200 for memmory, etc. So I already make up my mind, I'm get a new computer this coming months, for now I will be very in-active in this forum, hopefully I don't miss much.