User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Muscle Power 23 Qustions

    COULD A MODERATOR PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE BADMINTON RACKET/EQUIPMENT SECTION INSTEAD PLEASE.

    Hi guys,

    Yesterday I after I finished working and got my pay I had an urge to buy a backup racket since i'm without one and have 35+ hours of badminton next week . I can't afford to break a string next week because that would sideline me. I got a racket that I felt was a good price for a back up, a Muscle Power 23 (power).

    Have you guys had ANY experience with this racket previous? I'm not sure what to expect with a muscle power.

    Thanks,

    -Middo
    Last edited by Middo; 07-06-2011 at 02:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,903
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    The MP23 or MP23pro is a bit above the beginner class; its a bit heavy, a fairly flexible shaft, and is not exceptionally fast with defensive responses. It is pretty steady and accurate at the net, however, and you can obtain very good, tight net play once you get used to this racquet. Smashes are so-so, you will need to watch out for timing issues because of the flexy shaft here. Clears are not a problem. I found no issues with pronation, but supination does require more effort than usual.

    I used to string it with BG65ti at 21/23, but I think I would prefer to go BG80 as that will give more control, responsiveness, and overall performance. I believe Yonex recommends tensions up to only 24 for this racquet.

    For some reason the handle does not provide as much feedback as I would like, and this used to leave me dissatisfied.

    Overall it's a decent racquet, but sadly I found nothing special or truly likeable about it. If you got this racquet for around $65 or 70 I'd say it's an acceptable buy. I'd rather spend my money on a T-Pro or a Woven9 or something; but then again, I'd be spending a bit more than aforementioned, and again, that's just me...

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Regular Member urameatball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drill-Sergeant Troll-Face
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My review is the complete opposite of cobalt's.
    MP23 has a stiff enough shaft for good control and good power. I've used my friend's on several occasions and found it to be a great racquet for a great price. In Toronto, it normally sells for $50 and occasionally goes on sale for $40.
    Of course, it doesn't compare to the $150+ racquets, but it rates on the VERY top of my list for racquets for around $50.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    k.l
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Generally Yonex Muscle Power series specifications are even-balanced and medium stiff in YY ratings. With this kind of spec it would normally suits beginner to intermediate level players so it depends which category you fall into.

    Another point to look into though is whether the MP23 are made in Japan or Taiwan because as far as I am concerned, Japan made rackets are more balanced and well weighted. I believe its a Taiwan produced because the entry level for the made in Japan MPs is the 33 if I am not mistaken.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    I used to string it with BG65ti at 21/23, but I think I would prefer to go BG80 as that will give more control, responsiveness, and overall performance. I believe Yonex recommends tensions up to only 24 .
    I'm prettty sure it strings 17-22, I also bought it for 44.99 Canadian which came to 56 with tax. So a good value I'd say. I think I'm going to use this racket for doubles and stick with my Nanospeed for singles.I will post my experiences with it in the coming week. Thank you two for your reviews. Does anybody else have opions on this racket?-Middo

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flite View Post
    Generally Yonex Muscle Power series specifications are even-balanced and medium stiff in YY ratings. With this kind of spec it would normally suits beginner to intermediate level players so it depends which category you fall into.

    Another point to look into though is whether the MP23 are made in Japan or Taiwan because as far as I am concerned, Japan made rackets are more balanced and well weighted. I believe its a Taiwan produced because the entry level for the made in Japan MPs is the 33 if I am not mistaken.
    It is from Taiwan, what does this mean?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    k.l
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It is from Taiwan, what does this mean?
    Its a matter of high-end and mid range categorization in YY marketing strategy. It also meant in terms of material composition and design, it isn't at the same level of its M.I.J counterparts and it reflects on its overall feel and balance. Of course you get what you paid.

    Nevertheless, it doesn't matter to certain individual as long as they feel comfortable with the racket itself.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flite View Post
    Its a matter of high-end and mid range categorization in YY marketing strategy. It also meant in terms of material composition and design, it isn't at the same level of its M.I.J counterparts and it reflects on its overall feel and balance. Of course you get what you paid.

    Nevertheless, it doesn't matter to certain individual as long as they feel comfortable with the racket itself.
    Ok thanks!

    I'm using the racket today, will tell how it feels.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Good_friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in INDONESIA
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm now waiing for the review about this gear.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe if the thread wasn't over a year old

  11. #11
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blableblibloblu View Post
    Maybe if the thread wasn't over a year old
    hahahahahahaha.

    currently comparable racket at the same price range would be the carbonex 8600 titanium i think

Similar Threads

  1. FS: wts YONEX armortec 700,muscle power 100 and isometric ti SX swing power for sale SG
    By tommy_uk77 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 12
    : 05-01-2012, 02:17 AM
  2. FS: Carbonex 30 Muscle SP & Muscle Power 100 SP (Singapore only)
    By PoseidonLee in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
  3. Apacs Armor Muscle Pro 90 or Yonex Muscle power limited
    By singchaii in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 0
    : 02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    : 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM
  5. Muscle Power 23 vs. Muscle Power 23 Power-2005
    By topdogg373 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 1
    : 01-27-2006, 02:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •