Muscle Power 23 Qustions

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Middo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    COULD A MODERATOR PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE BADMINTON RACKET/EQUIPMENT SECTION INSTEAD PLEASE.

Hi guys,

Yesterday I after I finished working and got my pay I had an urge to buy a backup racket since i'm without one and have 35+ hours of badminton next week . I can't afford to break a string next week because that would sideline me. I got a racket that I felt was a good price for a back up, a Muscle Power 23 (power).

Have you guys had ANY experience with this racket previous? I'm not sure what to expect with a muscle power.

Thanks,

-Middo

#1 Middo, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The MP23 or MP23pro is a bit above the beginner class; its a bit heavy, a fairly flexible shaft, and is not exceptionally fast with defensive responses. It is pretty steady and accurate at the net, however, and you can obtain very good, tight net play once you get used to this racquet. Smashes are so-so, you will need to watch out for timing issues because of the flexy shaft here. Clears are not a problem. I found no issues with pronation, but supination does require more effort than usual.

I used to string it with BG65ti at 21/23, but I think I would prefer to go BG80 as that will give more control, responsiveness, and overall performance. I believe Yonex recommends tensions up to only 24 for this racquet.

For some reason the handle does not provide as much feedback as I would like, and this used to leave me dissatisfied.

Overall it's a decent racquet, but sadly I found nothing special or truly likeable about it. If you got this racquet for around $65 or 70 I'd say it's an acceptable buy. I'd rather spend my money on a T-Pro or a Woven9 or something; but then again, I'd be spending a bit more than aforementioned, and again, that's just me... :)

Hope this helps. :)

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    My review is the complete opposite of cobalt's.
    MP23 has a stiff enough shaft for good control and good power. I've used my friend's on several occasions and found it to be a great racquet for a great price. In Toronto, it normally sells for $50 and occasionally goes on sale for $40.
    Of course, it doesn't compare to the $150+ racquets, but it rates on the VERY top of my list for racquets for around $50.

4. flite

flite Regular Member

Generally Yonex Muscle Power series specifications are even-balanced and medium stiff in YY ratings. With this kind of spec it would normally suits beginner to intermediate level players so it depends which category you fall into.

Another point to look into though is whether the MP23 are made in Japan or Taiwan because as far as I am concerned, Japan made rackets are more balanced and well weighted. I believe its a Taiwan produced because the entry level for the made in Japan MPs is the 33 if I am not mistaken.

5. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    I'm prettty sure it strings 17-22, I also bought it for 44.99 Canadian which came to 56 with tax. So a good value I'd say. I think I'm going to use this racket for doubles and stick with my Nanospeed for singles.I will post my experiences with it in the coming week. Thank you two for your reviews. Does anybody else have opions on this racket?-Middo

6. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    It is from Taiwan, what does this mean?

7. flite

flite Regular Member

Its a matter of high-end and mid range categorization in YY marketing strategy. It also meant in terms of material composition and design, it isn't at the same level of its M.I.J counterparts and it reflects on its overall feel and balance. Of course you get what you paid.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter to certain individual as long as they feel comfortable with the racket itself.

8. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    Ok thanks!

I'm using the racket today, will tell how it feels.

9. Good_friend

Good_friend Regular Member

Social Servis
    I'm now waiing for the review about this gear. :)

10. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Maybe if the thread wasn't over a year old

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    hahahahahahaha.

currently comparable racket at the same price range would be the carbonex 8600 titanium i think