Weak defence pls help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mrshuttle, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mrshuttle

mrshuttle Regular Member

when i am playing doubles,i have a hard time returning hard smashes.i had tried a lot of methods such as smashing drills and hitting shuttles against the wall.it does not help much.i also do not have friends who can make hard smashes to train with.
    how can i improve my defence??

2. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

What I used to do to get quicker is have someone stand right in front of the service line and I stand a little further than 1/2 court and he would drive down to me and I would drive return to him. Helps you get quicker and return things coming down at you.

You could also just stand closer to the net and practice returning the weaker smashes with less time to react.

Otherwise if your friends can't smash hard then you have nothing to worry about right? :)

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Assuming your technique is right, try:

As above practice driving at the forecourt player who hits down
    Get someone to hit half smashes and practice lifting it constantly
    Get someone to throw shuttles rapidly from the side and you practcie hitting and recovering
    Practice defending with a heavy training racket (if you are of sufficient strength/age/standard
    Try and block return more, you should always be able to get a racket on the smash and at least block it back to forecourt
    Don't give the opponent the opportunity to smash!

4. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

what is the actual problem?
    My coach is trying to instill in me a couple of things
    1) Keep the racket up at all times - it is easier to drop for a low shot than pick it up for a high shot
    2) Use the back hand for the majority (90%) of returns - you can cover more 'area' with a backhand defence than a forehand defence.

HTH

5. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I found if you pretend your forearm is shivering, moving your racquet up and down in a relatively fast manner in preparation for defense, it helps with timing. Don't make big swings, rather slightly shake your hand like you would toget salt out of it's container. If you don't understand, I'll try to explain it more.That and drives allowing you to practice returning fast shots at multiple angles.

6. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    Get urself apacs feather weight 200 then u improve instantly

7. Arcsaberz 5

Arcsaberz 5 Regular Member

Playing badminton
    i prefer u to have wall training session, instead in att position, u choose defence position, i improve my defence towards that way.
    now 1 able to beat my friends that i lose to around two years before

8. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I don't know your level of play, I'll try my best.

Some tips that might help:
    1. Face the smasher.
    2. Feet apart.
    3. Bend your knees.
    4. Racket on your side. Don't commit too much on one side (backhand or forehand).
    5. Loosen your grip at first so you could switch to backhand grip or forehand grip.
    6. Do not force to lift the shuttle, unless the smash is really angled downward. If the smash is a little flat, just block it so the shuttle would go just over the net. If the smash is super flat, prepare to push or drive. Your aim here is to gain the attack.
    7. If the smasher is far backward, stay midcourt.
    8. If the smasher is in the midcourt or almost near the net, go backward. This is used during desparate situations.
    9. If the front player opponent is bombarding you with continuous smashes, don't force a lift. It'll only get smashed by the rear player. In desperate situations like this, I think the best way is to do a crosscourt.

I hope these help. But still, the best way is to not give them the opportunity to smash. Enjoy playing.