Racquet Recommendation for a Beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by nimishprasad, Jul 7, 2011.

1. nimishprasad

nimishprasad New Member

Hello,

I am kinda a beginner - i used to play for fun about 15 years ago - and want to pick up again mainly for exercise and fun. I will be playing about 2-3 times a week. I don't really have any particular style of play since I'm a beginner but I'm pretty sure I'm not the aggressive kind. I do care about the durability of any racquet I buy.

I live in the United States (Charlotte, North Carolina)and have a budget of about $50 and will be buying my racquet online. I was thinking of buying the Yonex Muscle Power 7 before I stumbled onto this forum where I read that I may be able to get better racquets for the same budget. Could you guys suggest the brand and model of these which, in your opinion, you feel are better than the MP7?

I hope I have provided the information you need to answer my question but please do let me know if you need further information.

Nimish

If you want a racquet:
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    4. How much money do you want to spend?

2. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Apacs might be a good choice, I started using their rackets instead of Yonex and find they are very good. They can be found on eBay at very good prices.

3. nimishprasad

nimishprasad New Member

Is there any particular model of apacs that you recommend which is in the $50 vicinity?

Nimish

4. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Hi Nimish,

I think you might like the Apacs Nano 900 Power or even the EdgeSaber 10. They are both medium flex and might suit you and they go about 30 - 40 dollars on eBay.

There is just a lot to choose from and ended up with 10 different rackets haha.

5. nimishprasad

nimishprasad New Member

Thanks Gary. I will look those up.

Nimish

6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    1. I play everyday except saturday for 3 hours. very competitive but not a sore loser

7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    1. I play everyday except saturday for 3 hours. very competitive but not a sore loser
    2.I am probably like 85% aggresive 15% deceptive.
    3. For me its all about performance. For me if you take the right steps to take care of your racket it'll last a while.
    4. I will spend maybe 100 dollars tops (philllipines here is sponsored by yonex or something so everything from yonex is cheaper)

If you only have a budget of 50$ (usd im assuming) first of all go to badmintonalley.com. They price their things very comppetively are placed in california. and they have a 2 week gurantee on rackets. they also give ratings and reviews on everything they sell. they have wilson li-ning and yonex. a lot more too. I would do extra research like prices from competition etc. before you make your decision. but for you i would probably suggest a low end nanospeed. they have are made for fast swing speed. since your a beginner this will help in lots of things like it will be less taxing on your arm and help you manuever better.

Welcome in advance :)