how to replace the spring for a HQ flying clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by skoal2047, Jul 7, 2011.

1. skoal2047

skoal2047 Regular Member

I bought a used stringing machine recently. Anything is fine except the HQ CLAMP, it doesn't hold the tension beyoud 20 lbs. Can you replace the spring and bring it back to work? Thanks!

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I imagine you'd have to knock the long pin out that serves as the hinge - that spring is probably far too strong to try and dig out without breaking the clamp down.

3. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Hi

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/86613-Repairing-slipping-clamp

Removed old spring using pliers - just klip two or three loops where pliers fit and press them together. This will shorten spring enough to be removed. Watch out - string will possible slip out of pliers after removal - so protect yourself and everybody around.
    For installing the new string I just used a hummer - it works for HI-QUA. Be carefull here as well - if you do it wrong spring will shoot itself out.

Regards,
    Valentinas

4. skoal2047

skoal2047 Regular Member

thanks, but i don't know where to find the spring.

5. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Hi

I think online like www.leespring.com or thomething like this. Or try local hardware store. The keywords you must use are: compression spring, closed ends, wire diameter up to 2 mm, free length 28-30 mm, outside diameter up to 14 mm. You can measure the old spring to get the parameters - but remember it became shorter. Of course usually the minimum order quantity is like 5 to 10 springs - it means a lot :)

#5 Valentinas, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011