drop help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jul 8, 2011.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    i am somewhere between a intermediate and an "advanced amateur". i am five foot 1 and physically built male. my problem is when i do a fast drop it either a too week and doesnt even make it over then net or too strong where it goes a couple inches above the net where my opponent can see it. id like to drop it where it would go over the net and drop straight down. any drills or tips to help with that? Also when i spar with my coach when i drop sometimes he would do a net kill. Also any tips or drills for that? thx in advance :)

2. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    you have a coach! why don't you ask him? or is he having too much fun net killing you.
    in my opinion you should do a drop shot in a way like a slower smash. so just aim for the 6 inches above the net but aim the speed to slow down as it goes over. you're hitting diagonal downward straight line, then gravity takes over more (not forward and down curve, don't want a floaty drop shot). unless the opponent is already at the net all they can do is net shot or lift. it's not as tight to the net but at least they wont have time for net kill. all your drops should be this version unless the opponent is rear court and not manage to get back to base, then the tighter floaty drop can be used as they are too far to get to it early for a net kill but are forced to move more as its tighter to the net.

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    U r getting bit confused with terms ere. U mean slow drop shot which does take lot of practice but shud be used with caution!! Only use this shot when the opponent is slow to the front court! In singles its best to use fast drop, where it flies tight past the net but lands around the front service line. Kinda like a quarter paced smash.

Against better players esp singles avoid the slow drop, for they wil either kill it or do a tight spinning net shot and ur stuck!!

I would use it bit more in doubles as my partner is at the front and and take the return early but my drops and smashes and clears all look the same so they cant anticipate my shot and kill it :)

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good one from ginger. ;)

5. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    hehe, thats what i said in my head. I just typed it rubbish :D

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Work on your slow drop and do drills with ur coach. Jus try and make it look the same as the clear and smash. Only at the last sec do u drastically reduce the speed. Also follow throught wit ur racket arm. Mount of people I c jus stop and wonder why it is not going over!! lol. It takes time a practice to develop the touch for it but keep working on it.

With ur coach avoid this shot thou. He can read it. Even when I was being coached, my coach could react to my slow drop even thou it looks similar to my clear and smash and he cud kill it at the net cause he is very fast so I only used fast drops which is only a matter of hitting the shuttle more infront of you and aiming for the service line.

This means he hasnt the time to kill it, at very most he can try a net shot but because its far away from the net, mistakes can be easily made and he wont be able to make a super tight net shot or spinning net shot! I learned this the hard way from my coach. He slaughtered me with the slow drops by a kill or tumbling net shot which was almost impossible to return!! :mad: