RUMOR: Arbi to Malaysia?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Mar 21, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    According to a news article, Malaysia is trying to recruit Heryanto Arbi to coach for Malaysia. and Arbi was described as "very interested".

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Possible. Retired players are often targeted as national coaches. Often for other countries as well. These include Park Joo Bong who currently coaches Malaysia and Rexy Mainaky who currently is coaching England

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Canada needs Heryanto Arbi!!!
    This guy was one of my idols back in highschool/training days....
    Such interesting form on his jumpsmash.
    Which I didn't try to mimic, because I didn't want to end my career/playing days prematurely with injury. B)
    Go figure... why did the guy retire?

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Hey, you guys just got Andy Wiranata! Why complain? :)

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    The more the better isn't it? :)

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Do many good players arch their backs when doing

overheads ?People like Zhou Mi seem to paddle well

behind shuttle than lean on it and swing the arm.Others

like Dai Yun or Poul Erik save a step by standing

perpendicular to net when hitting.Maybe many people resort

to 2nd when legs get tired.Doctor, how healthy is it to use your

back to play?

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Arched back response...

I'm not so sure if it's an arching of the back, I think it's more of a matter of proper technique...

You're supposed to have your racquet ready, and up in the air behind you, so this may give the appearance of any arched back? I don't know... maybe I do to.
    But I'm going to speak on Cheung's behalf, seeing as he's the medical expert here...
    I'm sure it's not a good thing, infact I'm sure it's harmful; as it leaves your spine more susceptible to injury.
    The sudden motion of jerking forward, while your spine is mis-aligned doesn't seem to be a very nice thought at all...
    I imagine this has probably caused some players to retire, from dislocating a disc, or some other strange thing...
    I understand what you mean by the paddle shot... LMAO... I've never thought of my shots being in that way before... hahaha...
    It also depends on the coaching.... different coaches provide different coaching techniques for their players...
    If you look at all the pros, not all of them play the same way, there's always some sort of variations.

I apologize if I'm not answering any of your questions, as I'm trying to read up on some of my biochemistry notes from way back in the day.... (also thanks to Cheung... lol)

Back to your point about perpendicular positioning...
    I know a lot, and I mean A LOT of left handed players that play in that manner, and I find it very interesting.... I'm not sure about Dai Yun, but maybe it's something with left handed players? I don't know... I just see all of them standing in that same manner, pro or not.
    To be precise, technically people should take the step forward, to transfer body weight, and mementum into their shots, adding even more speed, and power.
    I on the other hand, can generate a lot of power from wrist, and arm strength alone, but when I do take the extra step, I can produce an insane amount of power coming from my blocky frame... (I'm not built for badminton, more for weight lifting, but I still try.)
    You're also right about the fact that when people get tired, they lose their 'perfect' form.
    To end this post... I supposed the while in the air, getting ready for the jump smash; the slight pivoting of the waist, and the back, may add extra power. I'm not sure, as I'm not really a jump smasher, believe it or not.
    I'm more of an on the ground type of smasher.... jump smashing wastes too much energy. :p

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Arched back response...

Hah, there's too much to learn in medicine. I only touch a little bit of it. Lucky for me that bit is physiology and I am really into sports as well.

There are a few people in China who have injuries and retire from badminton in their early 20's. I have heard of hip problems and a would-be pro I know(in HK) has got a hairline frature of his back and has been out for 6 months.

Have to agree with you about the left handed players. Some have them have funny shots rather than mirror images of right handed players. Dai Yun is a good example. She's got some really good angled shots that seem impossible form the angle of the racquet face.

Have you seen Choong Tan Fook defend when under pressure? He can get the shuttle back with some real wierd positions and doesn;t need to move his legs that much. So different from the right handed players. Just saying for interests sake, I played badminton against a lefthander from CTF's home town and played pretty much like CTF in the way he defended. Strange.

9. Sing

Sing Guest

Re: Arched back response...

Well I am not boasting, But players from SEA tend to be

natural players, ie they learn the game from street and

backlane like Maradonna in football.They have good racquet

skills but are rather poor in the pro and athletism league.

I am afraid it is changing with new scoring system and greater

emphasis on coaching by ex China players.

I always appreciate good skills eg. Taufik, Zhao, the older

Denmark players,etc, they may be an endangered species.