Restring 1, 2 or all?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cheung, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Scenarion:

4 racquets, all the same. Strung with all the same string, strung at same tension, same stringer.

All racquets used interchangeably.

2 about to break.

I had both racquets restrung.

The older ones, although still tight, are softer than the newly strung ones.

This puts me in a dilemma because now only have two racquets that feel the same (and it makes me insecure :D)

Should I get the third restrung?

But then what to do with the fourth racquet with old strings but still look in decent condition?

BTW, the strings are yonex nanogy(?) 95. [I think that's the name] and it's the most I've paid for restrings in a racquet for a long time (I was previously a long term BG65 user)]

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

do you string it by the same person ?

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I find it takes time for a new string job to "work in". Then there is that sweet period time when it just feels right. Finally there is that period where the stringbed has just lost that loving feeling.

Therefore restring the two almost broken ones simultaneously. But keep the other two as is, for comforts sake, whilst working in the new ones. (New one feels little stiff after few games? Revert to old one)

BTW, why doesn't a Noble Master like you, who can afford to rotate four rackets, have his own machine?:rolleyes:

4. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    Keeping 3 rackets strung at most for a regular sessions (3-5x per week) is good enough. Change whichever the string snaps. Cycle for string life & feeling for playability are more/less the same.

Participate in competition which requires to play 2-3days consecutively (away from usual stringer&place) would require 4 rackets, the 4th piece serves as backup would be deem useful.

Otherwise, stowed & kept as spare. Use when deemed necessary :)

#4 Willi@m, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not quite playing 3x per week but trying!

Hmm four racquets overkill? The only difficulty is getting to the stringer and then returning to collect the racquets again. Can be sometimes be over a week. I used to only carry 3 racquets but that time, it was easier to get the racquets to the stringer and collect them again.

Yes, I could be the stringer again but space is calculated by cost per square foot. Considering the area that a stringing machine would take up, it doesn't really work out :D

The two racquets with older strings have lost their sweet nothings but still not overly frayed. Going on your advice, I will change them after my holidays.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Oops, forgot that you lived in the "vertical" city of Hong Kong, where every inch counts (and costs!) :rolleyes:

Here in North America we can still be a little spoiled for space. Means that square footage doesn't cost as much; but then transport can be a problem. For example, here is a picture of my old stringer's place. Very nice but hard to get to in winter. ;):)

:) lighthouse.jpg bike in snow.jpeg :eek:

7. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Rotate them in pairs. String n play with only 2 of them , if one of the two strung rackets breaks string , send the 2 unstrung to ur stringer n switch when neccessary.

8. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Cheung, how much do you pay for restrings?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What if two racquets string breaks? Both can break in one day!

I think it cost HKD140 per restring. The strings are expensive but seem to last pretty well.

10. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Dunno if it's a good idea or not, but why don't you get rackets strung when you go to China? Much cheaper than HK I would think, Shenzhen is pretty close by if you go up there for food, foot massages etc during the weekend...

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'd get them all done and haggle for a discount on four. If you're taking two rackets to be done, you might as well take four - IMO having a bouncy backup racket isn't much better than not having one at all, and if you have rackets that are completely identical you can label them and rotate them across your sessions so they'll wear/break in evenly - that way there will be absolutely no surprises if you have to switch out due to a breakage.

12. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Yes it may , u may take up Mark A's suggestion.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hmm, the stringer is quite a personal thing. I go to them because not many will string my racquets at my required tension. In fact, they refused at first until the owner's son (who I have played matches against in the past) recognised me. I specifically went to them as they used to be the stringers for the HK Open (now Sunrise brings stringers in). I am rather fussy about the strings.:

Yeah, I think I'll do that. I'll use the older strings a few more times such as practise session and when I get back from holiday, redo the older two racquets. TBH, I actually pick one of the four racquets at random but perhaps not as randomly as I thought. :)

14. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Cheung, $140 is a lot but if they were tournament stringers then fair enough.

Most enthusiasts here have a stringing machine so why not join us?

If you are worried about stringing at 30lbs, why not try a thinner string a few lbs lower.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cheung, just pile up all your unstrung racket and fly over here. i will do them for you for free. your savings might be enough for a flight ticket!

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I just took the other two to redo! Get them back next week. I tried the old strings but they felt so soft compared to the newly strung ones. :( I wouldn't use them again in a serious game so decided to restring them.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

... exactly why I use Z62 at a low 28-or-29: all the feel and control of high-tension washing line, but far less stress on the racket (but also a lower power ceiling, sadly). However, conversing with Dan has convinced me to give BG65 @ 32 another whirl:D.

18. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

One has to be careful when stringing with the thinner strings such as ZM62 at their "higher limit" (which is 28-30lbs compared to 31lbs and above with the thicker strings). On paper it may sound better as you are not putting as much stress on the frame but due to the thinness of the (for e.g.) 0.62mm, a tension at 28lbs generates enough pressure (force over area of distribution) to cut through a grommet like hot knife through butter. That was what exactly happened to my VT70 strung with ZM62 at 28lbs constant tension. I cut out the string immediately after noticing the cleanly cut grommet but even then the grommet underneath has already been nicked noticeably :(

Another thing is that I find the thinner strings such as the ZM62 and BG66M/UM too soft (BG80 is hard while BG65 is soft for comparison) on shuttle impact even though the overall stiffness of the high tension is still there. There is no direct replacement for high tension on a thicker string by using a thinner string at lower tension.