Comparison between: ti3 and ti3 SP

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by TI-SP-SS dude, May 9, 2003.

1. TI-SP-SS dude

TI-SP-SS dude Regular Member

Yesterday at a tournament my friend's poped her strings on her ti 7 lite, because she was the better player(been playing for 4 years) i lent her my ti 7 long. I borrowed from my firiend his ti 3, Went on a court, and began to hit around. Later that day he had to leave, so i borrow my other friend's racket. Surprisingly she had a YOnex ti 3 SP.

Yonex ti 3
    weight : 3u
    string: BG65 at 20lb
    balance:head heavy
    clears: were good
    smashes were great (not as powerful as my ti 7 long though)
    net shots good, and drops good
    backhand shots: weak

Yonex ti 3 SP
    weight: 2u
    string :BG 65 at 20lb
    balance: head heavy
    clears : better than ti 3
    smashes: weaker than ti 3
    net shots: good-excellent, drops: good
    backhand shots: good-excellent

The ti 3 SP, seems to be not as powerful a racket as the ti 3, but the feel of holding the racket and hitting around with it was great.

Weight wise, the ti 3 SP 2u felt lighter than the 3u ti 3. I have no idea why.

I hope this helps anyone who is planning on buying a ti 3 or ti 3 SP

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I used to have a Ti-3 (Went to Bunni). It is an OK racquet. You never mentioned what the region code of the Ti-3 was, we just know that the other one is SP. I found it to be a real good "low" intermediate racquet. I used it when I first started out. First of all, it's head heavy so you don't need a super fast swing to generate the power. The only thing was bad that mine was 2U and head heavy so the backhand was not too great if you did not have the technique. I liked smashing with it more than dropping. Weird how smashing and clearing had a different rating for you since they're usually the same for me. If I can clear really well with a racquet, I can smash really well. So I found it to be a real good racquet if you can't swing fast.

The downfalls of this racquet would probably be:

Not a defensive racquet - head heavy and mine was 2U
    Rather flex
    Only standard lenght
    Could only find G3 in CD version

The goods:

The head heavy and 2U gives it alot of power when smashing
    Ti series is very solid and I had mine for nearly 2 years with lots of string changing and the frame is still good, no warping...
    Isometric - I hit the sweet spot so much but with my Rapier I felt more of a clunk and began to hate it so I stick with the Forza.

3. TI-SP-SS dude

TI-SP-SS dude Regular Member

The ti 3 was a US model.

4. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    sometimes when you have diff. weights of rackets the balance tends to change also. i have a mp100 3U and my friend has a 2U(both US), and his 2U feels much head heavier than my 3U. our grips are both the same size also. we tested the balance points roughly and his is more towards the head than my racket.

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

My friend bought 2 MP99s from Taiwan and one felt balanced and the other one felt more head heavy. Really weird, and yes they were definitely not fakes.

Yodums