Wooden Racquet With Fibreglass Shaft - Vintage - Recommended String Tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Closet Gamer, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Closet Gamer

Closet Gamer New Member

IMG_0204-800.jpg

My uncle gave me this wooden racquet and I thought it would be pretty funny to show up at the local rec center with it. I can't find ANY information online about what tension ranges were used on wooden racquets.

I don't need an exact value, but just an approximate "less than 20lbs" or "around 15lbs" would be great.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Go 15-18lbs. In those days, they used catgut more. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the guys would string by hand those days. With modern strings, they don't stretch as much as catgut so I wouldn't go above 18lbs. If you string by hand, you can only select the tension by pinging each string. Any number to the tension is going to be a very guide.

Probably a better way is to start off at 15lbs and see how it goes from there.

#2 Cheung, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. Closet Gamer

Closet Gamer New Member

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. Looking forward to look on everyone's face when I pull this thing out of my bag. It's in great condition so it should still be playable :)