is it worth it to start playing badminton?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Russ7, May 9, 2003.

1. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

All right, I've been thinking about playing on the school badminton team next year, but I haven't played on a badminton team in my life... ever. My friend plays it and got bronze in provincials... and I do ok against him. I am in grade 10, so next year I will be in grade 11 in intermediate. Should i start training to get better at badminton and see if I make the team next year or is it too late? Right now I'm fairly good but not good enough to make the team yet... and also need some ways to improve my game.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's always the "first time". If u never try, u will never even get a chance to take the shot at the titel later on.

Grade 10 might be a little bit late for pure beginners, but seems u got some skills already. Therefore, with some proper training, I think u will enjoy the fun and have good chance to be good later on.

My suggestion is, go for it, if u really like it, and be mentally and physically ready for the hard work ahead.

3. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    What!?

Go for it!!! It's not that late. If your really serious about badminton, (like me) then you should start as early as possible. I mean, you still got a lot of time. Your young and strong, and should use your time wisely. Well, i dunno how u feel bout badmintnon, but you should give it a try.

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I can only say one thing...

Go for it!!!

What did you expect? This is called BADMINTON forum... all the badminton crazy people are here. Lol. It's never too late to start anything if you want to do it.

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

you do realize where you posted this message, right? :p

Grade 10-11 isn't too late to start. I didn't start until I started university, and I'm loving it still. As for playing competitively... gimme a few more years :eek:

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

The things you are going to regret in your life are the things YOU DID NOT DO. Go for it man.

It's not as bad as if you were to start @ Age 30 or something since people can improve at Grade 10 pretty fast. If you're determined and want to learn, you can definitely do it. My friend played mixed for her school. Unfortunately, there was no one that good at the time and the guy she went stayed infront. But he was deteremined and still is even after the tournament is over and he's getting alot better.

You can start from 0 and improve alot!

Go get a coach and that'll speed up the process even more :)

7. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

It's never too late.

One of my friends started when he was in his 50's. He's now been playing nearly 20 years. He can play better shots than me and makes fewer mistakes. I can only beat him 'cos I'm younger and have more stamina, speed and strength. I'm 37 have been playing since my teens, but only regularly for the last 9 years.

8. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    This is a page for badminton fanatics, if u ask that question in here, your only ever gonna get 1 answer. ;)

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Just give it a try and maybe you will like it as we all did:)

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I've been playing badminton for the past 11 years and I started to learn how play it the PROPER way only in the past few months!

Of course it's worth it, and it's never too late. Provides good exercise as well as the satisfaction of learning to play like an artist on canvas.

As for provincial competition, titles etc. well... I doubt I can do any of those. The last time I heard, there are more people playing badminton in Malaysia than in China!

The only risk here is long term injuries - a friend's dad had to give it up after breaking a ligament. But then again, you get injuries in just about any sport.

The key is to enjoy[\B] the game.

11. ironian

ironian New Member

Broadcast
    It seems that you're really interested in taking it but are a bit hesitant that you might fail. Dude, if you really want to do something, then go and do it, and just give it your best shot. You may not become a national or world champion, but the main thing is you took control of your life and didn't let fear or apathy get in the way.

A saying goes: The best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago. The second best time is now.

Good luck, and most importantly...HAVE FUN!!!

12. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    this is a forum filled with serious badminton fanatics so I am pretty sure most ppl will tell you to go for it, including me. :D It's a great sport and even if you think you might not be as good as your friends coz you start late, which is very untrue, you will still have some good time playing in an exciting sport. Good luck with it and as for improvement on your game, browse the site, plenty of info there. ;)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you have fun playing it, who cares if you are better or not. :)

play badminton not because you want to beat your friend, not because you want to be in the school team, play it for the love of the game!

14. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

No, No, NO, haven't you learnt from all the young folk? You play badminton to pick up/try to impress chicks, duh ;P

Argh I can't believe I just noticed you live in Mountain View, Kwun, if I knew that I would've bugged you for a place to play last time I was in San Jose, probably going back in Feb/Mar, one of my friends lives in Santa Clara.

15. birdieman

birdieman Regular Member

It's too late. I'd advise you to not try out for the team.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One yr for a pure beginner to make into the team might seems a little bit "push". However, with some skill (doing ok against his skillful friends) it should be worthy to take a shot.

The worst possible he might face is, slow improvement, and did not make the starting roster. However, if he success, there will be much more fun ahead. To me, doing well in tourny or a team, is far away from the "most important".

Of course, it's a matter of how hard he will try, and how much time he willing to put in. And most important, how much he LOVE this game itself.

17. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with birdieman here.

The human body is like bamboo - the older it is, the harder to bend. As with badminton, you may find it harder to learn and perfect the techniques once you're already over a certain age level.

The coach can be patient enough and train you up, but I think he's likely to tell you that it would be difficult. One year's too short. Players like Xia Xuanze and Peter Gade start early, as in when they're in their early teens or even younger, and it takes a LOT of time to do that.

But don't let anyone stop you. Just go ahead if it means a lot to you, and let your performance on the court justify if you're fit for selection.

Even if you don't make it, the training would've made you a superior player in comparison to yourself before you did it.

It's always worth it.

Update us on your progress.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    wilfredlgf / birdieman,

I can clearly see ur point, and I agree it won't be such an easy task to achieve in relatively such short a period of time.

HOWEVER,

1. Seems Russ7 is not a pure beginner as he stated. He could already match against some skillful friend (assume his friend is not really taking very easy on him)

2. It depends on what is Russ' major "goal". If just to "make the team". Well, hard work ahead, and might not be successful. However, no matter yes or no, he surely will improve his game and have fun during the training.

3. Assume high school teams' standard is not like way up in the sky. I am not saying high school players are not good. But I really don't think being part of the team (of course, very hard to be #1 or #2 starter) is like "mission impossible", unless the entire school team are state ranked players or something...

19. fallen

fallen Regular Member

Russ7, you should go for it and definitely try out for the team. badminton is such an easy sport to learn. you should be able to learn it in a few months. all you need to do is work on the strokes such as the serve, smash, drives, clears, dropshots, net shots along with some strategies and good footwork. then you will become an advanced player in no time. ;)

#19 fallen, Jun 3, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2003
  20. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Thanks for elaborating LazyBuddy. I totally forgot to add the 'goals' part. :eek:

Regardless of what we all say, Russ7, go ahead and try your best. Even if you don't make it, you will be satisfied that at least you tried, losing only to better players.