Results 1 to 17 of 232
07-11-2011, 06:03 PM #1
2011 U.S. Open daily recaps, happenings, side news...
..okay, first bit of news to share..
1. As i'm typing this, the Qualification Rd. is about to wrap up shortly in about 2 hrs..Part of 1st Rd. will start at 5 pm today and will continue tomorrow..Saw a couple other pretty competitive Qualification Rd. matches..
2. As you all know Chen Jin has withdrawn from the tourney..But as far as i know, he's the only "big name" who has withdrawn..
3. Another news from Qualification Rd., Li Gen, the son of Li Yongbo lost in straight games in his XD match against a pair from Australia..
..The usual lackadaisical playing attitude, fooling around on court..
4. Also, just to catch everyone by surprise, we had a brief power outage! Right when they were playing..Thankfully no one got hurt or got smacked by a shuttle or racket!..Welcome to Southern California for those players visiting here for the first time!..I was about to log in BC and zap, the power went out..
5. This yr's Qualification Rd. only uses 4 courts instead of 6 courts like last yr's edition..
Let's see what else to share:
Saw Karyn Velez
Saw Claudia Rivero
Saw Kang Ji Wook
Saw Reiko Shiota & the entire JPN squad
Saw Li Gen & the CHN juniors
Saw the CHN TPE squad minus Tai Tzu Ying (i don't know where she is, probably too busy at Disneyland)
Saw Wang Chen (coaching now)
Did not see Bao Chunlai
Did not see Taufik
Did not see Boonsak P.
Did not see Lee Yongdae (maybe out on a date??)
Did not see Ratchanok Inthanon
..alright, that's all to share for now..stay tuned for more..
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM #2
..just had a 2nd power outage~apparently caused from the power company...hope this is not a sign of what's to come for the rest of the week..
07-11-2011, 06:29 PM #3
interesting to see Tien Chen Chou/Shao Chieh Cheng playing together in MX. They won their 1st qualification match quite easily against the Egyptians. Let's see how they do against Ji Wook Kang and his partner.
07-11-2011, 10:10 PM #4
07-11-2011, 10:13 PM #5
R1 MS begin this night as well........
07-11-2011, 11:19 PM #6
07-12-2011, 10:51 AM #7
Day 1 recap..
..well, other than then power outages in the afternoon (which caused about 30 min. delay), there weren't really much surprises in terms of the matches..
A few other interesting notes:
1. For some reason the chants of of "Allez Brice Allez" were missing..or maybe his supporters haven't shown up yet..On his match, Brice started slow but revved up in the 2nd game and cruised all the way in the 3rd..
2. The XD match between Chou TC & Cheng vs. Ji Wook Kang & Kyung Eun Jung was probably the most entertaining one of the day..
3. The MS match between Wing KW vs. Tian Houwei was probably the most exciting singles match of the day. Wing KW showed some iron defense in rallying and eventually denying Tian Houwei a win. And after the match was over, the crowd gave a rousing applause to Wing KW.
*Tian Houwei does mimic LD's body language and style..
4. U.S. MS fave, Lee Hock Lai had to yield to Takuma Ueda as Hock Lai was hampered by a knee injury; his court movements were definitely limited.
5. Another crowd fave, Sattawat P., brought out the "Sattawat! Sattawat!" chants, but Mr. Baxter wouldn't be denied and charged up to win the last 2 games..
6. A lot of youngster in the fray. But most of them were eliminated early..
7. Crowd turnout was decent, esp. for a 1st Day event..
07-12-2011, 02:14 PM #8
David Pohan has a fever so that means they will forfeit the match to towboss (Toby Ng) and his partner.
07-12-2011, 03:43 PM #9
I saw Sattawat play in November last year, and honestly wasn't too impressed, hopefully he has improved since then...
07-12-2011, 05:09 PM #10
good job by BruceLi to defeat the Japanese pair Eto Rie/Yu Wakita
07-12-2011, 05:13 PM #11
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM #12
Michelle Li is a gem that is getting polished
07-12-2011, 05:44 PM #13
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM #14
Japanese and Chinese XD pairs' match going down to the wire. 21-21 in the rubber
07-12-2011, 05:53 PM #15
07-12-2011, 05:58 PM #16
07-12-2011, 06:06 PM #17
By george@chongwei in forum World Championships 2009Replies: 469: 05-25-2011, 11:59 PM
By ctjcad in forum Malaysia GP / US Open / Australia Open / Canadian Open 2010Replies: 20: 07-25-2010, 08:59 PM
By huangkwokhau in forum Indonesia Open / Thailand Open 2010Replies: 106: 07-02-2010, 06:51 AM
By ctjcad in forum US Open 2009Replies: 94: 07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
By huangkwokhau in forum Indonesia Open / Thailand Open 2008Replies: 176: 06-25-2008, 07:06 PM