best kinda of racquet for a beginner-intermediate level?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Russ7, May 10, 2003.

1. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

I've decided to take up badminton, and I have the basic skills. What is a good racquet to use? I lookd at Yonex, etc, but what would you recommend?

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Can you be a little more detailed? Can you smash hard compared to your other friends or something? Do you like to be more offensive than offensive or both etc. Do you like a heavy or light racquet or average weight?

Also, where you located? What is your budget?

Hehe lots of questions to be answered for just one racquet huh :)

3. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

yeah i can be more specific

Can you smash hard compared to your other friends or something? I can smash, but I can't make it go like a laser like some people can

Do you like to be more offensive than defensive or both etc. I prefer offense, but I play defense also to make sure I don't screw up

Do you like a heavy or light racquet or average weight? a light racquet

Also, where you located? What is your budget? i am located in edmonton, alberta, canada. my budget? 100 canadian dollars

Something to add is that my sister used to play badminton seven years ago. back then her racquet was 150 dollars, and she's offering to sell it to me for much, much less. It just needs to be restrung. It is a yonex. I was just wondering if it would be outdated to today's technology? She says it is a very light 2 piece.

4. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

Russ7 ...

That should be ok ... racquet will not improve your skill of playing ...

I still have a friend who use carbonex 9 and he's playing very good.

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Yeh it should be ok but what is the racquet? I think the racquet plays a big role when you want to imrprove and you're at a beginner level. If you can't find anything. the BK Rapier 865 is a really nice racquet for anyone beginner to intermediate. The racquet is sold here for 120.00 from my coach - haha it says his name on it :D It should be sold for 120.00 CAD with stock strings but he'll give you strings of choice for free!

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

If you are a beginner/intermediate player, you'll probably find that a racquet with a more flexible shaft is easier to use. Also, an even balance racquet would be easier for you to wield.

But for the most part, a relatively cheap ($60 - $80) racquet should do you just fine. Since you prefer a light (read: easy to wield) racquet, you might want to consider the Yonex Iso 62 MF Lite. It sells for around Cdn $70 to $80, and the balance is pretty even.

-Rick

7. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
    if you want a light raquet just go to sportscheck in edmonton.......their yonex raquets are light plus under $100.00

8. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I started out with an isometric 97 VF. Its a good begginers racket, its one of the lightest rackets out there, and can generate a lot of power if strung with bg 85. I liked the balance and control it has and all, but i sort of grew outta this racket after using it for so long. I'm willing to sell it and the bag for a low low price $50 (US) bucks if your interested. regualar price is about 80 or 90 bucks. (US)

Got some chips and scratches on the head though, but what a deal!!

9. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    For a beginner, I suggest these points when choosing a racquet:

Durability - You don't want something that will break easy, because it is a big waste of money. Also, having a durable racquet means you can afford to take more risks like going for a shot between you and your partner, and saving a shot near the ground. When I am using a pricey racquet, I'm reluctant to go for shots near myself and an inexperienced player because of the chance of clashing. With a more durable racquet, this isn't as much of a factor. Black Knight racquets are very durable, as are some of the cheaper Yonex ones. (I have a ISO 500 that has tonnes of paint chips, even though it chips easily, and it has survived a clash that broke a Black Knight)

Price - Don't go for something over, say, $80 CAD (about $55 USD). A novice won't be able to effectively use the features that high-end racquets offer. Plus, if it breaks, it will suck.

Weight - Just as long as its not too heavy so as to hinder proper technique, it should be fine.

Balance - Evenly balanced should be fine. Too head light, and you can't get power, too head heavy, and it moves too slow.

I second Traum's suggestion of the ISO 62 MF. My first racquet was an ISO 60 Light (same thing, basically), and it was very durable until someone who borrowed it broke it. It is an excellent beginner's racquet.

Phil

10. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    phil pretty much summed it up. one racquet you should not consider is Iso50MF... its terrible, too unbalanced and heavy.

I would say a Bk or a Wilson will give you bang for buck at this stage of the game. you don't need to have the newest and best of yonex when u're beginning to learn the game. Wilson's are pretty solid, the hyper carbon can give a pretty good punch. Bk is durable (may chip, but durable), they are usually pretty well balanced and easy to play with. Good manueverability and pretty decent smash. Overall i think the other companies have good low end racquets, but Yonex racquets are best bought when you have good skills and money. most Yonex low-end racquets shouldn't have the yonex logo on them, they are so crappy.

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Normally, racquets between $50-80 are good for beginners.
    Or you can try those Yonex Cab series racquets, they are good and durable.

12. TI-SP-SS dude

TI-SP-SS dude Regular Member

Let me see, if you are a beginner, then you should go with a 30-40 dollar racket, such as the ISO 20 or something liek that. Iyou shouldn't buy a racket that is 100+
    if you are a beginner becuase you might not liek it later on when you can actually feel the difference between a 100+ dollar racket and a 40 dollar racket. So get a 30-40 dolalr racket and play with that.

When you get better, try borrowing people's rackets and testing them out. That way you can find the racket that is perfect for you, and you wont spend that much

Good luck

13. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I saw a diagram of the Yonex racquets being compared to one another via a graph that is separated into singles-or-doubles and power-or-control.

Right in the middle where both lines intersect, is the Cab20. This means, it comparison to other models, it is the most well balanced and is suitable for all sort of players.

Also, it's cheap.

The graph is in the forum here somewhere but I can't remember where. Maybe someone here can help you?

14. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

15. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Re: Re: best kinda of racquet for a beginner-intermediate level?

I disagree with the ISO 20. It is too heavy and will inhibit proper technique, unless the player is strong. It is aluminum and steel which is quite heavy. A beginner should, in my opinion, get an all-graphite, but inexpensive, racquet.

Phil

16. LoveJoy

LoveJoy Regular Member

I have seen Yonex Cab series racquet and the VF series at Sportmart.ca and Tad's Sporting goods for $50 canadian dollars...the Cab 8200 light is only 85grams.

17. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    There's a problem with the 8200 LIght though; it's a little too fragile. A student of mine bought one (the same as the red one you can see on www.yonex.com) and it broke in less than two months, without any head clashes or other similar accidents.

And it's not exactly cheap; the Cab 20 SP being only RM 30 (~US$ 8) more expensive.

The good thing about that racquet is the lightness; brings about quicker response.

18. ibaniski

ibaniski Regular Member

student
    beginner, looking 4 racquet

Hey all.. I've started playing badminton like a month ago, and our coach @ school says that my racquet is killing me, so I decided to buy a decent cheap racquet that would be suitable for noobs. I dont know what racquet I'm currently using, but I can say that it is pretty crappy (it's from the school supply). I know that it is BK, but I have no idea which model it is.

Anyways, as I'm playing for like a month, I can't tell you much about what I am looking for. I know that I wouldn't want to spend more than 70CAD (taxes included), so that would be somewhere around 60CAD. I know that that's pretty cheap, but I still don't know if I am going to stick with badminton, so I just want to try and see how it goes with racquet better than the one I'm using right now :p .

Something that might be useful:
    We usually play doubles - front/back (offence); sides by side (defenece)
    I'd like to improve my smashing skills more than the "close to net" skills
    (ofcourse I'd sometimes have 2 do both)
    It would be great if the original price is no more than 65CAD

Here are some of the racquets that I've been looking at, but every input is extremely appreciated:
    Wilson Pro Staff Graphit,
    Wilson Pro Staff Kevlar,
    Yonex ISO 62 MF Light,
    Black Knight Carbo-Knight, and
    Black Knight Fury

Thanks in advance, and I'd ask where I can buy "the perfect racquet" after I decide (ofcourse in the appropriate forum)

Ilija

19. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    as a beginner i only have to tell you that u will need a durable racquet, even more so because you will be playing doubles (with another beginner i presume)... i think those brands you have mentioned are good beginner brands and i have heard that their durablility is ok.

and don't bother asking for the perfect racquet, there is no real answer.

20. ibaniski

ibaniski Regular Member

student
    Thanks..

Btw. I know that there's no perfect racquet, every1 should find a perfect racquet for himself.. It's just that I wanted to ask for more experienced players' opinions before I purchase my racquet.

Cheers,
    Ilija