birdie flight

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by palydu, May 11, 2003.

1. palydu

palydu Regular Member

Has anyone noticed that the same bird (in this case, the Yonex Mavis 350) will fly dramatically different under different conditions? For example, I had been training in my school's gyms (we have two separate gyms) and yesterday went to the Ford Center at Stanford University which is barely 5 blocks away from my school. I only have one racket so it's improbable that the cause of the discrepancy was due to the racket.

Upon hitting the bird, it seemed to slow down dramatically as it cut through the air, most noticeably on overhand drops. In addition, while I can usually clear from back alley to back alley with ease, it was impossible for me to clear past midcourt at the Stanford complex, even using all the energy I had. I did notice that the air at the Ford Center was surprisingly stiff and humid, and that might have led to some interferences with the birdie. I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this same problem and is willing to share their experience(s). Thanks.

2. Lee

Lee Regular Member

I notice the same. Some places seem to be the same, with this one particular place i have to exert some more energy to achieve the same affect. This only seems to affect shots that go up (clears, lifts) however.

3. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Many different factors will affect a shuttlecock's flight. Higher temperatures allow the bird to fly faster as compared to lower temp. Lower atmospheric pressure will also allow shuttle to fly faster as compared to higher pressure. But there shouldn't be that much deviation in shuttle flight from two location only 5 blocks apart. Perhaps there was air drift coming in from the ventilation system at the Uni?
    I know though that at my school gym sometimes the shuttle flight will course off from original direction when it is hit very high when the ventilation is turned on.

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    There can be, if one gym is much cooler or warmer than the other. Hotter gyms carry the bird farther. Once at a tournament, I didn't think of the heat, and all my (and my opponent's) shots were landing just a few inches out, all the time. I even asked the tournament convener's if the lines were regulation size. :D There was another gym in the same building that was perfectly fine.

Phil

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    The airflow will differ with different size of space(gyms), sound, altitude, and temperature according to aero. physics.

This may solve your puzzle.

6. Stijn

Stijn Regular Member

Student
    Thats why there are different speeds.
    (for example, red is for colder places)

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    There's a badminton gym in Montreal in the Olympic Stadium... the courts are near the swimming pools. The humidity makes the birds fly like chunks of styrofoam.:eek: