Free String Job!

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by silentheart, Jul 16, 2011.

1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

OK, I got your attention now. There is no such thing as free string job. I would like to propose a pricing question to members on the forum.

Given
    1 your regular stringing person is an experienced stringer (not me).
    2 He is charging you, his friend, below market average price on his string job with is cheaper but good machine (Yonex ST250 or Klippermate M140 or a Gamma crank machine).
    3 He is given an approval by the CFO of his house to purchase an Yonex ES5Pro Tech or a Wilson Baiardo Machine (Both retail for a lot of money).

Q1: Given that you have the choice to ask him to string with cheaper machine at current friend and family price or pay extra $5 to string on the Mercedes of stringing machine. Which one will you chose knowing you can tell very minor difference between the expensive and cheap machine on a freshly strung racquet. You can really tell after 2 days because the cheaper machine has noticeable tension drop.
    Q2: Given that he actually bought the expensive machine and he is going to raise his normal price for public. What do you think is a reasonable price? $1 over the average? $2 over the average? $5 over?

Your input and suggestion is more than welcome.

Thank you all for replying.

Don't worry, I have access to a ES5Pro already to a tennis pro shop. So, I am not running out to get a expensive machine.

2. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Q1: Will go ECP - on the basis that I think it could hold tension better.
    Q2: $2 sounds about right for jobs strung on ECP machines.

Been doing this to with my stringer who has both crank and ECP. She charges approximately $2 more on the ECP.

Justin.

3. silentheart

thank you Justin!

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I also think $2 would be low enough to entice the majority of clients. $5 would probably put some serious doubts in their mind on whether it's worth it (for the average customer). I guess it would also depend on how low the orignal price was in the first place

Regular price is ~$30 incl. string, family price: free :cool: (unlike the others I at least supply my own string :rolleyes:)

5. silentheart

Thanks Master D for your info. I will pass alone. We are a little luckier here in US that average price is about $18~$20 for not in shop and $20~$25 for pro shop. Once my friend start his business, I will stop by and use his machine for my own racquets. I am going to pass all my current customers to him to help him recover the cost of the machine.