Repairing broken Shuttlecocks

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by sjoe, May 11, 2003.

1. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    A friend told me that one day someone came to his club and showed him that those unused shuttlecocks can be repaired. He then twigled a shuttle, replacing the broken feathers with the good one from the other broken shuttles. And within minutes (fast), he repaired and said "what you need now is glue'. He then said, they do this all the time in China.
    Can someone tell me that this true.

2. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    very interesting! In theory, I guess you'll be able to glue them on, but what about the speed of the shuttle?

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    in our countries, the luxury of playing with a clean new shuttle every few rallies is something we may often take for granted. we may gripe about the cost of shuttles, but when the price is a couple bucks compared to the average income, it's not that big a deal. in poorer countries, maximizing the life and use of any equipment including shuttles is a necessity simply because they can't afford to do the same thing.

the problem with replacing the shuttles by twisting the feather out, you may do damage both to the feather spine and the cork may also be worn out. some shuttlecocks will have glue on both outside and inside of the cage, and twisting to break off the glue may damage the feather.

gooping up the repaired shuttle with glue will give it back to some level of solidness, but balance, weight and flight will likely be out of whack...

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I was thinking that the weight might be different so you'd be hurting it more than you would be doing any good? Hmmm, but what if you used the shame shuttle cock feathers though from another one?

Yodums

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    I tried repairing 4 shuttles with broken feathers also, just as you described. I used a white glue, and 2 were OK, no balance problems or anything. The other two had noticable wobbles. The 2 good ones lasted for about 10 minutes each.

6. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

Na, i don't think it can be done to any useful extent. Just stick to nylons if u realli need durability, but repairing feathers would prolly require replacing ALL the feathers, since it's all glued and strung together. By that time, u mite as well just get another bird.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Probably good enough for multi shuttle feeds but not for games.

8. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    OTOH, for many drills requiring multi shuttle feeds, ragged shuttles with a feather or two missing seem good enough. So it seems that repairing old shuttles is only practical in extreme financial circumstances.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Depends on how long a new shuttle lasts for you.
    10 minutes sounds good to me.

If I use a tube of 12 and can then get 6 more by repairing, I'll give it a go.