what are the most unique training methods you've seen?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thumpsky, Jul 19, 2011.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I once saw a coach who wanted his players to be in "perfect position" when attempting to do basic smashes or clears. He would pop up high shots and then make his players get into position by allowing the birdie to hit them right on the forehead without even holding rackets. they were wearing what looked like hockey style plastic visors, but I thought that was really unique.

the idea was to create that perfect straight line i think when attempting these shots, as opposed to "reaching" or "stretching" for these shots, which is not ideal.

I've also seen a doubles team being trained by having 4 people on the other side. although i think this is relatively common.

what have you guys seen?

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    From what you've said the shuttle on forehead sounds a terible idea, as would be the wrong position.

3. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    where should the birdie land?

4. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    If its been lifted high (e.g. high serve, lift from net) it should be slightly in front of the head and slightly to the racket arm side.

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    If you merely wanted children to run back and get under the shuttle letting it land on their head could be a "fun" element I suppose and get them to move, but it would not be the best set up for a shot

6. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I think it would be cool if they made a paddle shaped like a badminton racket, thereby teaching people how to drive without even need a net or opponent.

7. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    ^ edit: that should read "paddle ball"

8. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I like the idea of breaking down the mechanics of badminton into its smallest parts and being able to drill those things a thousand times.

9. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    Covering the net with cloth

I have seen a video where the feeder put a cloth to cover the net. I believe the purpose is to get the players to be fast to react. I haven't tried this though yet but i think it is a good idea.

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    The cloth/newspaper over net thing was common twenty years ago, I haven't seen it lately. Although it sounds good if you think about it you aren't actually practicing what you want. Example practice return of serve with net covered, you will react to seeing the shuttle cross the net and take the shuttle late, instead of reacting to the shuttle leaving the racket and taking the shuttle early. Again if it is somethign different /fun which inspires players to try harder fine but I think there are far better practices.

11. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    yes, i agree with the covered net on receiving the serve is not advisable and yes the reation is late. The string with gap is a good for service.

The video i've seen i think the feeder is feeding underhand strokes like weak lift/or drives and player is on the middle of the court. Probably this drill is more with the Front player for doubles so he can react fast on flat shots.