what am i doing wrong? how to correct ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wirey, May 12, 2003.

1. wirey

wirey Regular Member

graphic artist
    Background: Old-Newbie; Weekend player (but getting really hooked); No coach except this forum and hodge-podge of advice from other players. Right-handed. I play mostly mixed doubles.

Situation: Currently working on my smash

Problem: My stupid right foot keeps on popping back (raised & pointing back) when I smash. Kinda Like how a baseball pitcher's right foot looks.

I go through the pre -shot prep fine (i think): body sideways; perpendicular to the net. Raquet foot (Right foot) back; slightly bent ; body weight on it. Bird approaches. I push off with my right foot. I start to twist starting from the hips/waist. On contact with the bird, upperboddy facing the net; weight transferred to the left leg.

The bird scorches to the otherside for the kill. A few Ooos and aaas from my opponent and my partner.

Then attention transfers to my stupid right foot which sticks out, pointing up like a ballerina.

So whadido???? How do I correct it?

wirey

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

you can try stepping forward and hit, like start clearing. step forward and hit. or just keep practicing your smashes with something. dont think about it, just keep trying...but i dont know if what your doing is wrong cause i saw somebody do it on occasions and he's a very very very good player.

3. Lee

Lee Regular Member

That almost sounds normal to me. If you really wanted, you could step forward with your right foot instead of doing a *ballerina step*

I'm presuming it looks something like a golfer after his swing. Correct?

4. wirey

wirey Regular Member

graphic artist
    Yes Lee, something like a golfer's although the right foot is much, much higher (About butt high) . And what makes me it look worst is I'm balanced on my "tippie-toe". My friends keep heckling that I audition for "Swan Lake".

Anyway, aside from being heckled from the form my real concern is getting back to the ready position. ALthough more times than not I didn't need to :)

wirey

5. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Yes, it will be a problem when you get up against better players who will drive your smash crosscourt. You will have the same problem as baseball pitchers who aren't ready to field the ball hit back near them because they are still on one foot.

You might try practicing the scissors-switch step with the legs when you hit. Instead of transferring your weight forward from back right foot to front left foot (sounds like you are right-handed) as you would in a ball throw, simultaneously kick your right foot forward and your left leg backward as you hit. This is a standard badminton technique. When you get the hang of it, it will still give you power, you will be better balanced after the hit, and your right leg won't stick up.

Maybe someone else here can put up some pictures or give a link to online photos that will illustrate it for you.

6. wirey

wirey Regular Member

graphic artist
    Yes I agree. I think this is what I should do. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done - for me at least. It doesn't feel natural. I think somethings wrong with the connection between my brain and my legs. My timing has been completely off. When i try this "scissors-switch" I usually make a small jump which makes me miss hit the shuttle. Also, my smash seems to have loss some of its umph (not to mention its accuracy).

I guess I need to practice this a lot until I'm no longer conscious of my legs and can focus on hitting the shuttle.

I'm not sure though whether my new form would be less amusing than my "ballerina" pose.:)

Anyway thanks

wirey

7. Californian

This can be a difficult technique to learn, possibly because it's hard to relate to any other sports techinques. In all the sports I can think of offhand, for righthanders, weight is transferred from the right leg in back to the left leg in front. In badminton, it is the right leg that usually ends up in front.

You might try this to help you transition to the new technique: as you make your overhead shot, when you rotate your hips, pick up your RIGHT foot and step forward with it as you hit. Start out with keeping your left foot on the floor so that you are just stepping forward with your right foot. As that move becomes more comfortable with practice, try sliding the left foot back slightly as you step forward with the right. You won't have much power or control at first, so you should probably set some time in your playing aside to practice only this.

It all depends on how serious you want to get. If you are intent on improving and playing against better competition, you will have to accept some temporary regression in your game while you are developing new skills.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is it right to assume you are the lady of the mixed doubles?

Are there any specific situations when you do the 'ballerina' style and others when you don't, when smashing?

9. wirey

wirey Regular Member

graphic artist
    I'm actually the guy:( which is why having the silly "ballerina" pose embarrasses me a lot. Even my partner/fiance can't help but smirk sometimes.

To answer the question I find that I perform the (let's just call it ) "the wrong stance" when i try to smash real hard and if the shuttle falls to far in front of me.

Anyway, I'm still practicing the "scissor-switch" following the pointers posted.
    So far I've hit my right foot w/ the raquet about 4 times and mange to slip and landed on my butt once.

Some clarifying questions on the "scissor-switch":
    1. Generally (assuming i'm not reaching back or sideways) should i land on the same place when i perform this or is there a forward movement? (In the "step-over w/ the right foot" suggestion given, i'm of course moving forward)

2. In performing this technique, should both feet be off the ground? Do I have to jump?
    ________

wirey

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It might be that you are trying to smash in the wrong situation if the shuttle is too far in front of you. I'm a bit surprised you say you can do an effective smash if the shuttle is that far ahead. Maybe you fall forward so much, your upper body moves forward with the lower body going backwards and then your foot going up.

If the shuttle is very far in front, it's very difficult to do a full smash (sub-optimal position of the body relative to shuttle). I'd say go for accuracy and placement and experiment with half drives or block to the net. Then aim is to get the opponents to run and produce a weak shot you can exploit. Wait for the full smash when in a better position on a subsequent reply from the oponents.

I don't think scissor kick will work in this situation. Just step forward with your fight leg and play a drive.

Alternatively, if you wanting to smash, run forward a little bit more when preparing.

#10 Cheung, May 14, 2003
    Last edited: May 14, 2003
  11. wirey

wirey Regular Member

graphic artist
    Is a shuttle (lifted high) landing about a "foot" before my leading foot (left foot) too far up front?

With regards to my smash being an effective one, It has a good kill rate
    (about 70 %). But that's maybe because my opponent are just not that skilled yet.
    When I smash in my mid-court, the shuttle usually lands deep to the opponents court (about 3/4th). Not really steep enough.

I guess you're right, i should position myself better.

thanks

wirey

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Oh, that's quite an OK position for a smash.

Are you running backwards to play the smash or are you waiting for the shuttle to drop before hitting it (ie no need to take backward steps at time of hitting shuttle)

13. wirey

wirey Regular Member

graphic artist
    Most of the time i'm just waiting. It's about the only time i try to smash. So when I get the rare opportunity to smash I usuall try to hit it as hard as I can, and that's when my right foot kicks back.

Should I try to move a little forward so the shuttle will drop to my leading leg?
    Maybe I'm trying to hit the shuttle to low... I'll have to take note of this.

14. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

well from what you described, you're doing a body twist to add power to the smash, but then you're not moving your right foot from back to front --> assuming this because your right foot leaves off the ground but sticks up behind your butt instead of going forward. It's actually natural for your body to do so, reason being if it doesn't do that, you might over stretch the muscle above your right hip since you're doing a hip rotation.

Suggestion: Learn jump smash or for forehand smash (not around the head), don't twist your hip. Instead do a quick hop to change the position of your feets without moving forward, this is another way of gaining power without the hip twist.

The hip twist, for me at least, is only used when jumping with full power backwards to catch the shuttle early for a smash. That's because I can't do the "switch feet position hop" in the mid air when I want to jump for full height and distance backwards.

For when the shuttle goes backhand, and you want to perform an around the head smash, there is a footwork that allows you to do a jumping smash around the head without twisting your hip. That is the scissors kick, and this can be performed even when you're jumping for full height and length towards the back. This is my favourite form of smash :D its just beautiful :) heheheee and the power is there too.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Iwan, I find that interesting you can do the scissor kick without rotating your hips. I actually believe a more powerful and balanced smash can be performed with a hip rotation (for a right hander switches from left leg forward, body turned facing to the right side of the court TO right foot forward, left leg back, swing racquet, finish with right shoulder aiming towards net.

Of course there are different type of smash (half smash, clipped smash that have different techniques).

Here's a photo of Xia XuenZe. There's no way that he is not doing leg/hip/body rotation. This might help wirey..

Attached Files:

16. Californian

Thanks Cheung. I'm glad someone posted a picture of this position.

Every photo I've seen of this follow-through in advanced players looks basically the same--both feet off the floor, racquet leg up and out in front, wrist fully pronated.

Wirey, you don't need to be so high off the floor as this player, as he is jumping too.

The intent of this technique is to add to the power of the shot by thrusting the right side of the body into it. It also keeps your body mass centered better.

If the shuttle is too low or too far out in front of you, this technique wouldn't work.

It is possible to scissor without hip rotation, but it seems that would minimize the benefits.

17. wirey

wirey Regular Member

graphic artist
    So ok, iv'e been doing drills for the past 2 days and have succeeded in gaining some body control in performing the "scissor-switch". (I'm just practising the posture and leg switch; no hitting of the shuttle yet).

So i have this tendency to lift my left foot of the floor a little before i skip with my right foot to ake the switch. (Kinda reminds me of Karate Kid - shows you how old i am:D ) Anyway, is this ok - Lifting of the left foot ? I got to tired trying to jump with both feet.

Thanks for the reply people. Although i'm having a little bit of information overload. I don't think I'm ready for "jump-smashes" yet. (I'm kind of a slow learner:D )
    wirey

18. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

well, Cheung, I would call it a body rotation instead of a hip rotation. Maybe its just me, but what I mean by a hip rotation is rotating the hip without changing the position of the feet. I don't call it a hip rotation unless you're actually making the muscles around your hip work to turn.

19. Californian

I understand, Iwan. It's like what happens when a baseball player hits a ball. There is weight transfer from back foot to front foot, and hip rotation, but the feet don't change relative position.