Shirts: Nike dri-fit vs. Victor/Yonex micro polyester

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by visor, Jul 21, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm thinking of getting a new playing shirt. Just wondering if anyone has experience with comparing the two above. In terms of sweat absorption/wicking, comfort, keeping cool. Is dri-fit supposed to be better or are they all the same?

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    of course drifit is better...!!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Are you just saying that because that's your namesake, or from experience? :p. Btw, you liked it so much that you chose this screename?

4. szekt

szekt Regular Member

I have tried, yonex, nike, head and even adidas shirts, all supposedly to have special materials eg drifit etc but somehow the sweat absorption does not seem to be as good as my average 100% cotton T; don't know if it is just me, I seem to smell more from the sweat when I wear these "high-tech" materials.....:D

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Thanx szekt, looks like I'll order it and see for myself. I'll report back...

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Yes, cotton will absorb sweat better but it will retain it too. Drifit material in other words, dries up faster. If you wear cotton, your shirt will be getting heavier as it will be soaked. In a badminton session, you might change 1-2 times if wearing drifit material. For cotton, you might change 3-4 times.

7. dnoah

dnoah Regular Member

Sales
    I dont know much about yonex's , but i`ve tried nike drifit and greg norman shirt... nike drifit felt heavier after sweat heavily as maybe the weather of my country.. i personally prefer greg norman shirt (dont really know whats their technologies) as it can last few more games if compared with nike dri fit.

just my personal 2 cents tho =)

8. Porky

Porky Regular Member

U are not the only 1....all my yonex drifit shirts seems to get more smellier as it aged....new 1s are okie, but as the drifit material starts wearing off (perhaps from the frequent washing and sweat-soak sessions), it does gets more smellier than those new shirts

9. tclphz

tclphz Regular Member

I've tried Nike, Under Armor, and Adidas. I think that Under Armor and Nike are tied as a best 2. Adidas shirts just don't seem quite as good.

I've had the same problem with smells on the shirt, I've been trying to soak shirts in water & detergent before washing to see if that can help get rid of the smell. It's light for now, but at some point, going to have to phase them out.

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    Just buy Yonex VeryCool shirts... they are really good and all the creterias are well handled (if I can say soo :S)

For me Yonex VeryCool and Victor Perfect-Dry are really good. I personally think they are better than any other brand :S however thats my personal taste

11. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Don't some dri-fit clothes have the anti-stink technology?
    I think the treads incorporate silver or something like that.
    I know some yoga clothes that were marketed like that.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Anti-stink technology? I believe they call it deodorant :D. A proper one that is, not that useless spray on stuff that is only designed to cover up the stench, not prevent it in the first place ;)

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

As for comfort, Yonex JP have to rank near the best of them. Not the best to comment on sweat wicking tech (not a heavy sweater) but for so called cooling tech I think Adidas Climacool works better than Yonex' VeryCool tech. And for comfort have a look at the Formotion Adidas range (also has ClimaCool tech). Nike Dri-Fit I also think works better than VeryCool if you have the right ones ...

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I know a lot of people have complained in the past about the smell due to bacteria build-up in the polyester shirts, including Nike Drifit.

Apparently the Climacool stuff from Adidas is more preferred, and remains drier than the Nike stuff.

Many people have also opined that the best is a poly-cotton blend fabric.

15. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Googled smartsilver.

http://www.smartsilver.com/

I do yoga sometimes and it's in some Lululemon clothing (yoga store in Vancouver).

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I personally like the Victor ones, the Nike ones aren't bad, and the yonex ones aren't bad either, but the Victor ones are the best in terms of overall quality IMO.

17. Porky

Porky Regular Member

I tried the same method as well, didnt really help....as u mentioned, i've phased out many of this drifit shirts becoz of the smells even though the shirt was still pretty new itself...sigh....quite waste of money, but luckily i always buy those on-sale offseason shirts

18. hduong

hduong Regular Member

I have about 8 polyester shirts from Nike, Yonex, Lacoste..etc. I find most of them are similar. Fabric quality varies within the same manufacturer. But I don't sweat a ton compared to other people.

The Nike Roger Federer shirts are really nice. Good feel. Too bad they are so expensive and never on sale.

So washing these shirts don't get ride of the smell/bateria for you guys? I have never had any issues with not being able to remove smell after putting in washing machine. Maybe a antibacterial detergent would help.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

For me, Yonex and Victor work very well, with Victor being a tad better. My Under Armour garments are nowhere near them concerning dryness....Li Ning&Oliver shirts are similar to my UA stuff, very smooth texture and not staying as dry. They get very cold as a result (and not the good cooling-me-down-when-its-hot kinda way, but really uncomfortably cold).
    I've never had real issues with smell, although it's very important to dry them quickly after washing (they get a bit smelly if they stay wet for too long).

20. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

I personally own both Nike Dri-Fit Compression and also Under Armour Compression (Both base layers) & they do the job VERY well while keeping my Victor, Addidas & Yonex shirts dry.