Comments about BACK HAND

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Aotis, May 13, 2003.

1. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    I did a search and didn't really see any threads specifically on the back hand so I just wanna start one. So what do you guys all think about the back hand? the technique section has a pretty thorough article on how to perform a proper technique. Does anyone else wanna add to that? thanks.

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    my backhand is odd, it only works when i REALLY need it.... i can't just say, i will use it, and it will happen... it only work when it's complete desperation.... fortunately, when it does work, it works very well...

this is for singles by the way.....

as for doubles and mixed, my backhand is non existant.... it doesn't come when i need it, it doesn't come when i don't...

3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    My backhand... don't even comment. Only my backhand lift it good... the rest... :eek:

4. mojoe

mojoe Regular Member

student
    yea indeed, my backhand is only good for drops, net shots, lifts and not so effective drives :p. when it comes to backhand clears, i'll be running for cover as soon as I hit the bird :( .

so i think that the backhand is one of the key areas for improvement, although i can avoid it more now since i've improved my round the head strokes :D

5. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Sounds like you're good in all but clears... tell me about running for cover. My clears are so high and yet so near the net... :(

6. mojoe

mojoe Regular Member

student
    well those are the only shots(besides the lift) i could make to put me in a position where i dont have to hide, but rather set up the opponent to put me away in a less... humiliating way

7. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I know we've had a few threads about backhands.

8. yobujji

yobujji Regular Member

Grad Student
    My backhand is not so great either. still have some difficulties in clearing the bird. I kind of wierdly heard frm my friend that its not good to excessively practice on ur backhand strokes and instead one shd focus on the round the head strokes. he said that if u r confident abt ur b/h prowess u wud become complacent and not move fast enuf to convert them to round the head strokes which r obviously more powerful.

however, guess one shd still know how to get the b/h strokes right in times of emergency.

9. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
  10. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    I'm terrible at backhands. I'm not even good at smashing or dorpping with backhand. But my clear is good.
    I guess you just need some serious practice for that.

11. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    I can perform backhand smashes, drives, lifts and sometimes backhand drops. But my backhand clear is just like my backhand lift! So high, so near to the net! :D

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Serious practice??? Hmm... Looks like I've got to start practicing... :( :(

13. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

i dont think you should practise your back-hand ... but practise how to use your fore-hand to take back-hand shot. as long as I remember, my coach will always shout everytime anyone of us use our back-hand.

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

That's what I'm doing now... but don't you sometimes feel stupid doing that when others can just do a simple backhand???

15. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

unless your back-hand is very powerful (like Taufik) otherwise it's useless ... especially if your opponent is a very good attacker ...

the reason: yes back-hand will cut 1 step in order to get the shuttle ... but it also require you to move 1 step faster in order to defense.

16. modious

modious Regular Member

What swijaya0101 and coaches meant is that you should use the overhead shots whenever possible. This is to develop the habit so that you will not rely too much on your backhand. Overhead shots are better because you're still facing and seeing your opponent when hitting the shot unlike the backhand shot.

17. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    My backhand sucks. The only backhand I can do well is the lift low over the net. Followed advice to do around-the-head shots, so, don't do much backhand.

On the other hand, one student of mine who never played badminton until January this year, his backhand smashes are better than his forehand versions!

Also, my regular doubles partner is quite good with the backhand, with accurate smashes and drops over the net.

18. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Once upon a time (far, far ago) I used to have a decent backhand, but since I play only doubles nowadays, I use round the head shots almost exclusively instead. I can bend almost 90 degrees sideways if need be to do that.:D

Nevertheless, if I find myself too far away to use the round-the-head I usually resort to a cross court backhand slice, i.e. I'll drop the bird to the net on the left corner from deep in the right back corner (from my opponent's perspective). At least, this has the advantage of surprising the opponent compared with a weak backhand clear.;)

Cheers,

Mike

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Oh I see... I always do it anyway...

Lift low... I can lift high and deep, but basically that's all my backhand is good at. :( :(

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    a strong backhand is a necessary tool, but one that sits ont the shelf until you really need it. in other words, you need it since if you don't have one, it will quickly be noticed by any astute opponent or coach and will be exploited. but having a strong backhand does not mean you must use it. the preferred stroke should be forehand as much as physically possible.

but when you do have a strong backhand, there is greater tendency to get lazy and hit more than you should with your backhand. a good backhand attack is only effective if the opponent is not expecting it. but if the opponent is prepared, a backhand attack can easily turn your offense into defence very quickly.

building a strong backhand requires strength training and lots of practice to get the right timing. once learned though, the backhand stroke is really a much simpler stroke to execute than a forehand.