Any tips for singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gangstar, May 14, 2003.

1. gangstar

gangstar New Member

high skool student
    Okay, it seems everytime I play i get kind of nervous, my shoulders are always up and it is tense. And when I play, I tend to drive shot with them. Is there any tatics that you guys could suggest? Like how to make them run, use their backhand, etc

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Hi welcome to badmintonforum,

Go do a seach for singles tactics using the seach option. This topic has been discussed many times and you will find lots of information.

3. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    relaxs..

Just relax while playin is enough to make you better ..... cuz you'll be able to observe
    and remember to keep ur foot light ...,um...yea light :p

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Yeah.. do a search. BTW, Welcome to BF!!! :)

5. gangstar

gangstar New Member

high skool student
    :)

Thank you, lemme intro myself.

I'm a high school student and of course, I'm on the badminton team. Our team isnt doing so good (4-10) cuz we play the top skools in our leauge. I have a musclepower 33 racquet and i put it on 20 lbs for strings. We don't use feather birdies, but we use plastic. Wats the difference between them?

6. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    feathers fly better, better sounding too (has that snapping sound), it just gets broken easily too. Maybe a couple hard ralleys and u will need to replace the bird.

plastic shuttles last longer, produces a sound thats more dull compared to the feather. This should be what you are using if you are a beginner and still learning to hit the bird solidly.

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    The one and the only tip I can give you is:

When you are trying hitting long, make sure you hit it long, not half way through.
    and the same thing applies to the short.

Because there will be no one to cover you up in singles.

8. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    And also consider the opponent's postion. If he's at the front, he lacks in the rear(court) and vive versa.

9. SeasonW

SeasonW Regular Member

student
    When clears it right to the back i usually do a drop because making a clear right from the back is to risky for me.it might go out.when i do my drop opponent is there is receive my drops n does a cross drop which i barley get to the tip of it.can any one please tell me how to improve my game play?????

10. zach1234

zach1234 Regular Member

answer

you just pretty much answered your own question (for that situation).

If you have no confidence hitting clears from the back, then that is really important to practice. Your opponent is picking that up and probably takes a step forward and waits for your drop. I would do the same. to add, good footwork will get you to the back faster (in this situation), so you will have many more options and will be able to hit a really good shot. You'll need to have a strong wrist to snap the shuttle from end to end when falling backwards... good footwork will get you there faster, and will move you back in towards the court while hitting. More power for smashes, more accuracy, more consistency, tighter shots and you'll be already back and ready for the next shot. Keep up the work though. I have been working on my singles game for years and years ... and i keep learning something new every time I play or train.

Also there is only one thing I tell myself when i'm playing: Don't go for perfect shots all the time. I always leave myself some room for error on my shots and even deep serves. It's incredible how something simple can save you soo many points.

#10 zach1234, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  11. SeasonW

SeasonW Regular Member

student
    Im also really pressured with my serves.its not going high and deep enough.i have a 50/50 feeling that it might go out or making a half court for the opponents to smash.

12. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Work on your depth and placement first. Depth is usally more important than height. After you have the depth aspect under control, then you can start to work on the height.

Make sure that your arm and grip are relaxed when starting your serve. If you are too tight it will hurt both power and control. I am assuming that you are using a forehand serve. To intiate this serve, be sure to drop or toss the shuttle well in front of you so that it will be easier to hit a high, deep serve.

13. Noobsmash

Noobsmash Regular Member

Try alternating your shots between punches and chops. Your opponent will be down and out really fast as he will not be able to predict the shots u are gonna play.

14. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    Isn't there a thread directly under this one that asks the same question....

I agree with everybody, but I believe the two MOST important points of winning in singles, is Footwork and Shot Placement.

Footwork - Allows you to be ready for the shot. Finish the shot cleanly. And of course, GET to the birdie.

Shot Placement - Hitting away from the opponent is vital, it tires them out, makes the opponent have harder time doing a shot that he or she wants to do, and give u more time to get to a good spot when your in the backcourt or net.

These two concepts combine will lead to one of the way to win in singles. Forcing the opponent to make a bad shot, so you can smash or hit the birdie away for the point.

15. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Hmmm.. that doesn't seem to say very much though. So... in badminton it is important to be good at getting to the bird, then hitting a good shot when you get there - isn't that basically the whole point of playing badminton? It's like saying the key to winning a sprint is to get from point A to point B quickly.

16. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Ah, but you're forgetting the other thing that's vitally important - one has to look good! If you can't win, make sure you lose in style.

But more seriously, the ONE thing that everyone can do no matter what their ability or access to coaching is to work on your fitness. If you don't have the fitness, then the rest doesn't really matter.

Wayne Young

17. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

footwork, if ur moving properly the shot should be rite there XD

18. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    make sure your drops are fast enough and not loopy ones. against someone who's fast, those slow, loopy tight drops are really dumb cos they get to it and can play tight net shots. as for clearing, it's just practise and feel. don't avoid your weakness.

19. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    i mean getting to the bird in an efficient way. and hitting the shuttle away from the player, such as.

example of placement: if the opponent clears it to u. and hes still in the back, dont clear it to him again.

example of footwork: if he clears it to u. get there efficiently and quickly so you wont have to bend your back and arch your arm just hit it.

haha and nice one kiwi. but what u said is true. with ugly footwork u will find urself arching ur back and stretching your body as hard as u can to the left to try and get a slow birdie that was placed well. sort of embarassing.

#19 XKazeCloudX, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  20. Lemons

Lemons Regular Member

dancing potatoes
    yes like XKazeCloudX said hit AWAY from your opponent make them run and get exhausted... drop away from them.. and always do clears to the back and if you have a good reaction you can try to drop from the backcourt but be ready for a drop return or clear back to you... and for serving try to serve long to the baseline... drop serve is a risk if you aren't ready for they can jsut drop away from you or do a strong clear to the back..oh and always go back to the centre after each hit and stay on your toes you move faster when you do .. i hope tha'ts good enough for you that's what my friend told me when i was practicing for singles with him :)