forehand clear/drop/smash footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by powertrail, Jul 27, 2011.

1. powertrail

powertrail Regular Member

Hi guys,

I've always enjoyed watching pros play on youtube once a week or something.maybe learn a thing or two from them:cool:.recently i have noticed (i cant believe i dint notice it earlier) that when making a forehand shot (it doesnt mater what shot,smash/drop/clear) they NEVER use a scissor jump.I usually do a scissor jump when im making a forehand clear.drop shots.......sometimes.smashes.........sometimes.BUT i have been watching many many videos to confirm this and i'm right.the pros NEVER use a scissor jump for forehand shots.why is that?can anyone give me an explanation?:confused:

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I think you should watch more closely, and you will find that particularly in the backhand rear corner, MANY professionals use a scissor kick. Lee Chong Wei uses a scissor jump movement frequently when playing smashes! Bao Chunlai is another great example! However, they do not normally bother unless it is a smash - there is no need for a drop or clear, usually a jump out or step out movement is used instead because body rotation is less needed (as less power is required).

What you may notice is that most professionals use jump smashes instead of standing smashes - a standing smash would use a very obvious scissor kick (watch some danish players), but a jump smash is different.

I would agree with you that it is not used every time - far from it! Watch some videos of lee chong way (recent match in djarum Indonesian Open with Chen Long) and others and see if you agree or not!

3. powertrail

Oopps i think i dint phrase it properly.What i meant is "shots to their FOREHAND CORNER".what i mean is,ive seen that they only use a scissor jump for overhead shots aimed at the back-left corner(the backhand corner).when clearing,droping or smashing at the back-right corner(the forehand corner),they dont use a scissor jump or even switch their legs.

4. powertrail

I had forgotten that overhead shots at the backhand corner also counts as forehand :eek:

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    powertrail: thats a fair comment. I would agree that virtually no professional players use the scissor kick in their rear forehand rear corner.

This has been discussed at length in another thread I believe... can't remember which one, but it was fairly recent (within a month i think). There are several reasons - in the forehand corner, a smash is normally a jump smash, using jump smash footwork. The forehand rear corner is also the most difficult to get to (normally) because of the racket foot forwards ready position. Thus, many professionals will not truly get behind the shuttle, but will be "reaching" for it slightly more. The jump out and step out are ideal for this - the jump out uses a block jump (feet don't switch) instead. Watch lin dan from a few years ago. When the shuttle is in his forehand rear corner, he rarely attacks it, he uses a step out movement. However, round the head, he can attack anything, using a scissor movement. The jump out allows you to take the shuttle from slightly behind, and still be able to play aggressive shots from the deep forehand corner. Because they are not quite behind the shuttle, they did not have to move so far, and can hence take the shuttle a little earlier too - this is crucial.

Maybe you can find that other thread?

6. powertrail

Oh,thanks alot for the explanation.hmmm....yea i would like to find that other thread.Gona go find it now :)