Berating partners.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by asmd6230, Jul 28, 2011.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Hey guys,

Ive had one hell of a lousy week. Im an intermediate player and play in various open play courts. Three times this week ive been berated or got yelled at for a mistake or for getting in the way in a doubles game (as if there was money involved or a twinkie prize!) All instances ended in a confrontation which of course ruins the rest of the game, if not the rest of the day. Point is this, I'll stand up for myself but whats with all the foul tempered badminton players ive had the unfortunate luck to get saddled with. The last instance, my partner wanted the shuttle so bad even though i was already behind it that he ended up hitting me... lovely day with me ending up with a bruised wrist. Just because one guy shouts "Mine!!" does not make it his if the other guys already got it.

Ive always figured that you play with your partners strengths and make up for the deficiencies. And raising ones voice is against your partner should be somewhere up in RULE NO 1 in any team sport.

How do you guys handle such situations?

This may sound like me venting and maybe to an extent it is, but would love to hear that im not the only one who has to deal with it.

regards,
    asmd.

#1 asmd6230, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sorry to hear that you have a lousy week. sometime lousiness just build on itself.

when i am having a lousy day, which happens often with hectic work and other schedules, i usually go take on some easy games during badminton. playing competitive badminton games is extra stress on itself and won't be of much relief to an already lousy day. i am lucky to have a good group of close badminton friends who never fails to make the game fun and relaxing if needs to be.

choose your partner and friends wisely.

3. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Thanks for the reply.
    "choose your partner and friends wisely." - wise words indeed, only if it were easier said than done esp in open play courts. But yes, i've been working on exactly that. Closed circles, while may defeat the spirit of the sport is more reliable in preventing lousy game days.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    close friends. not closed friends. :D

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I've been in the same situation at times, especialy when I play at community centres, where its often not in your hands to choose the other 3 you play with.

Once it becomes clear to me that my partner is the type of guy who goes for everything regardless, I just stay away from the bird if he is anywhere in the vicinity. When it comes time for the next round of games, I sometimes suggest with a smile if we may want to switch around, just to make it more interesting. If that doesn't work, I just shrug, ask my "partner" to choose how he wants to play, mixed style or regular doubles style. And I become hyper-aware of his presence, and stay the hell away from him.

Mostly these type of players are no good at their game. They are a bloody nuisance. But I guess you just have to bear it. The alternative of course, is to plead some other circumstance and just walk off the court. I've even done that a couple of times when the situation is really hopeless. I find that works better for me than taking any confrontationist stance, which never is a good thing. :)

On the whole however, I have noticed that the nuisance "partner" kinda comes to his senses after a few games we play together (either by accident or because we have no choice) once it's obvious to all that he is actually the weak link... :D

6. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Close friends in a closed circle. :)

@ Cobalt - yep, my situation exactly. I cannot say some of these guys are the weak link, at times i am the weaker player, just that these guys play ridiculously aggressively, trying to own the entire court and take it so personally when down on points as if there was a medal involved. Sometimes i seriously wonder wtf!!?? I dont mind taking criticism especially if its constructive, thats how we learn after all, but stop shy at being berated.

The best criticism on court during game play ive had to ever deal with was to get to the shuttle quicker... ha ha, as if most of us dont already know that. its just that im physically incapable, else id be playing against taufik hidayat or LCW instead of a mongrel of a club player venting his anger of his day job or home life on the court. But those sort of quips are easy to shrug off. i know they mean well.

#6 asmd6230, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I did this once with a guy who played better than me but had an "attitude problem":

"Take it easy, Sir. We're all learning here. And we're playing a doubles game, so you do have a partner. I know you're a better player than me, so maybe you should be offering me some support and encouragement instead of being so offensive with me. Because let me tell you, that's not going to help!" This with a smile. He 'adopted' me! :D

8. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Next time...just stand in the corner and if he gives you a dirty look...just say...

"Dude...you want to play by yourself anyways".

9. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

*LOL* thats funyy... but would probably make things worse. ha ha....

Theres this one guy that laments when saddled with me... i do not give him the pleasure of walking off court to be replaced by someone else. You lament, you walk. I stay, I play. Tough titties. Just wish it didnt have to be that way.

10. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I too have been both the 'stronger' and 'weaker' player. I certainly can empathise with asmd. Whilst momentary bouts of frustration are normal, there is no excuse for losing your temper. Any criticism shall be constructive & delivered constructively.

One way to try to work better with someone who is overly-competitive is to call more. If you accompany your shot with a 'me' or 'mine', your partner may chill a bit and leave you to hit it. Also, if both partners make the same call (i.e. both 'me' or both 'you') you should re-call as soon as you can. If the call is still the same, you run with the call from the rear-most player (who typically has a better view).

Most peg-board systems allow players to refuse to play when picked, but at the expense of being sent to the back of the queue. Whilst I believe that if you turn up for a club night, you should be prepared to play with anyone against anyone, this could be a fair compromise. The ultra-competitives can play amongst themselves, but will play fewer games than the rest. May give the rest of you a break too.

Hope that helps.

#10 Line & Length, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  11. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    This comes down to experience and confidence.

Some people r jus that hyped up on winning and get angry and angry at us our partner. Ive been there a few times where I wasnt on top form and losing the game due to my errors but then my partner also making errors aswell. Of course I got the brunt of the anger.

At 1st I didnt say anything but now I do. Im tired of being treated like that when I play so when i do encounter these people I play against them and beat them most of the time showing them im better ;) or if they are better than me and they r shouting at me, I jus dont listen to them and tel them am trying my best. Off court id say look, calm urself down, shouting at me isnt helping me. If u have advice tell me but getting angry will only make things worse and u put me off. Am trying me hardest out there.

12. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Men basic ego instinct at work. To win is to feel superior.:p

13. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Appreciate all the replies... had an awesome game with some good friends yesterday evening. Very gentlemanly... almost makes up for the previous day. Then again, i will be meeting these a$$holes again come Sunday. It will most probably be awkward, but I'm certainly not avoiding open play because of a few rotten apples. :)

14. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Those players you described are probably full of themselves and think they are God-Gifted players . In reality they arearmatures and have no idea about the tactics involve in doubles. We got a few of them at my club . they think they have talent just because they have powerful smashes but most of the time they will be out of position for the next shot due to their poor technique, movement and footwork . These type of players are total nuisance and someone should teach them the basic of badminton before they put their ego back on the court and make a fool out of themselves again.

I always notice the really good players , who understand the game, would always encourage/motivate their partner , put their partner into good position around the court ....and work as a team even the partner is weaker player.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @staiger: great points; I fully agree with you, especially on the mentality of really good players. They understand how it is not so easy to reach a consistently good level of play and are more mature and understanding in their outlook.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If I have to team up with a ultra aggressive partern who wants to take every single shot, I am very fine with it. I do not mind take the XD approach, even if that means a girl covers my back. Overall in club level of playing, there's a lot "unexpected" will happen, and we need to adjust to the sitution, not purely on "technical correctness" or not. You are more to come to have fun, but not battle for king of hill something. If competitive playing (e.g. tournament), carefully choose your partner, and stick with it.

17. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    I notice the really Top players always there to help the other players , giving them motivation on court ,putting them right places and let them take their shot, positive feedbacks, and anything that needed to be done differently AFTER the game. They dont really give a damn in losing or winning as long as they know that every one had an enjoyable game ,and gave their opposition a good game. This is because they know that they dont have to demonstrate to anyone that they are good, we just know they are class players by watching those guys technique , movement and position on courts.

18. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I came up against 1 of these players last nit for the 1st time. He looked gud and could smash but he could talk the talk like careful now, pressures on. and all this crap. In doubles I crushed him!! In singles he won 2 - 1 but I was tired and exhausted but il get him next time. Hate those players who dont even know you and say at 18 all or something, pressures on now.

19. val_tamse

val_tamse Regular Member

tesco/chef
    is this me ur talking about staiger?lmao..nyway agree with this

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Gill Clark always says "doubles is all about making your partner look good", and I couldn't agree more; it's obvious that the very best world class pairs play with this in mind.