Gripping Racket

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kevinboyz, Jul 28, 2011.

1. kevinboyz

kevinboyz Regular Member

Recently I have been trying out different ways to grip the racket for different shots and found it more comfortable; however, the grips I am using aren't the standard grips that are being taught. Does how you grip racket really matter or is finding what works and makes you comfortable better?

2. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    First you need to learn what is tried and tested-then later if required, you can improve on them. Finding your own comfortable grip is dangerous. You may find the wrong grip more comfortable when you are a biginer-then later find it difficult to change. Almost all newbies, if uncoached, will start using Panhandle grip for overhead shots and find them comfortable. But Pan handle will restrict their shot mechanism and cause injuries if used at wrong places for the wrong shots.
    NP

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/

Follow this. The correct grips r rule of thumb cause in general they give most control and power but then different countries may have slight variations to grips etc. This is what is taught and works so I suggest to do what is taught and experiment later

4. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    All the grips have its own usage. Panhandle is used during netplays and netkills because it is easier to execute and faster. Backhand grip is used for backhand shots because the thumb helps generate power and alligns the shot straight. Sometimes you might have to resort using panhandle version of the backhand to play backhand shots when the shuttle has gone past your head. Forehand grip is generates power when you play overhead shots like the smash. Forehand grip gives more freedom for your wrist. If you were to try and smash with panhandle the handle of the grip would limit your swing but with forehand grip that limit is changed. Learning to switch grips in the middle of the rally to perform the shots needed to end the rally may take some time to master but it is very rewarding.

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

GRIP
    1. Four grips: basic, bevel, thumb, panhandle
    a. Basic: overhead clears/smashes/drops, forehand net play*, smash blocks on
    forehand and backhand side, forehand smash lift, forehand chest-height
    drives/pushes away from body, late forehand shots from deep in rear
    corner, forehand lift
    b. Bevel: backhand clears/smashes/drops*, backhand net play, forehand net
    play*, chest-height drives/pushes away from body, backhand lift, backhand
    cross court smash block/drive, backhand smash lift*
    c. Thumb: backhand drives/pushes and similar shots in front of body,
    backhand net kill, backhand smash lift*
    d. Panhandle: forehand drives/pushes, forehand net kill, late backhand shots
    from deep in rear corner, backhand clears/smashes/drops*
    2. Grip height: high for speed at the net (in doubles play), low for power on
    overhead shots
    3. Grip switching: use fingers to rotate the racket within hand; must be able to
    switch immediately to basic grip and then to any other grip
    4. Finger tightening: begin all strokes with the proper grip, then tighten grip by
    pushing out with thumb and hooking pinky & ring finger where applicable, in
    other cases simply tighten grip in entirety
    5. There are some instances in which two grips will work well for one shot (*), but
    with slightly different outcomes. These all involve the bevel grip, which is also
    called the universal grip due to the ease of switching from it to any other grip.
    Experimenting and coaching will be required to figure out the circumstances in
    which one grip is superior to the other. The ability to switch quickly between the
    two grips relies on using the fingers (particularly the thumb and index finger) to
    rotate the grip.

Source: http://jimmylin.org/files/coachingsupplement.pdf

6. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Jimmy that is a very impressive document that you have put together.

Kevinboyz: Make sure that you learn the proper grips first as they are the ones that will allow you to preform correct technique amd proper shots. When you start to modify grips in ways that are just comfortable you might be changing the way that you will swing the racquet and it may not lead to the ideal technique or swing to be used which in turn may not lead to the shot you want to play or makes it a lot harder to play a "good" shot. Also don't forget about the importance of using your fingers when playing the net and when to tighten your grip when playing other shots too.

7. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

like my case, i hardly change grip and found that i "never" do a backhand net kill with a thumb or even bevel grip.. I always do it with basic grip and it always go crosscourt.. no way the kill will go straight down the line.. and of course the power eventhough sufficient, will never be better than if I play thumb/bevel grip

so sometimes if the opportunity to kill is not too good but i force my way to the front, my opponent ussually ready to repel it because it always goes crosscourt