Alternative grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by retskam, Jul 28, 2011.

1. retskam

retskam Regular Member

Hi guys I need some help for a alternative grip. Currently I'm just using Karakal pu super grip which is great thick tacky grip, but the problem is after a while playing i find it really tacky and just sticks to my hand.

Can someone recommend me a thin and/or thick over-grip or replacement grip that isn't so tacky or grippy :p. I've looked at tower grips but I don't want to change or spend a fortune on them, and I even thought buying maybe the yonex dry powder but that's too expensive and stupid.

I would say my skill is at club level. I've seen some friends and members that have a dryish not so tacky grip but even they can't find where to buy them and it came with the racket :mad:. I live in UK.

P.S. Is athletic tape really thin? i'm thinking of buying some to wrap around my handle instead of using yonex overgrip. Thank you.

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You obviously have not seen or tried Ashaway or Victor roll towel grips. LD Rules have confirmed that they are pretty economic. You should read up on the previous threads before re-spreading the stupid rumour about all towel grips being expensive. One gripping with one of those towel grips cost 1/3 or less of one gripping of a Karakal Super Grip even though the earlier also last 1/3 the usable time of the Karakal so go figure. No one is forcing you to buy the over-priced Yonex AC402EX and it is not the only towel grip available.

Towel grips are the ultimate in giving a dry grip feel for those who are not afraid to use it, period. There are some Yonex grips which are dry types but I don't remember the model name.

Athletic tapes are thin, as thin as cellophane tape (of course). The problem is because athletic tapes are fabric, the glue on the other side can escape from through the weaves and stick to your palm, totally defeating your idea of not wanting your grip to be tacky or sticky.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the other problem with athletic tape is that your fingers and palm will rub on them and eventually the rough fabric surface will cause blisters.

4. retskam

retskam Regular Member

Thanks for the quick reply, i think have to dig deeper in the towel grips. My aim is to get a balance of not loosing head heavy of the racket( having too thick grip) and having a dry/sandy grip feel to not feel like its stuck to my hand and can't change grip position easily.
    With the towel grips to me i thought they have to be changed quite often and be hate keep changing the grip on my racket every few sessions.