NEWS: Joo-bong to set up international academy

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, May 15, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from theStar Online

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2003/5/16/sports/pdbong&sec=sports

----------------------------------

Joo-bong to set up international academy

BY RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: It's not Canada, Singapore or Denmark. Former national badminton doubles chief coach Park Joo-bong is staying put in Malaysia.

Joo-bong ended months of speculations on his future plans when he announced yesterday that he was making arrangements to set up an International Badminton Academy (IBA) in Kuala Lumpur.

He is also keen on organising coaching clinics in the country for schoolchildren and state players as his plans for the IBA take shape. He also plans to work with his former paymaster, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM), in running coaching clinics for youngsters.

The South Korean said he was now having discussions with potential sponsors.

“After coaching the Malaysian national team, I want some new challenges. There were offers to coach in other countries but they did not work out. I finally got interested in setting up the IBA,” said Joo-bong, who joined the BAM in 1999 and quit after the Busan Asian Games last October.

“The IBA in Malaysia will be the hub for national players from the under developed badminton nations. Players from countries like Bangladesh and Nepal may want to train here.

“Some of the players from Europe may also make Malaysia their training centre. There is a similar Academy for the European nations in Denmark.

“For now, many things have not been finalised yet. I have to find a site for the academy, get sponsors and meet various bodies. If everything works out, the IBA will be up next year.”

Joo-bong, who a formed world-beating partnership with Kim Moon-soo, said that he chose Malaysia because of the great interest in badminton in the country.

“Badminton is a big, big sport in Malaysia and has a very huge following. I have been here for many years and my family has settled down here,” he said.

He added that he would liaise with the BAM on coaching clinics.

“It will take a year to get the academy going and in the meantime I hope to conduct coaching clinics. It will be a way for me to contribute to Malaysian badminton,” he said.

“I have to liaise with the MSSM (Malaysian Sports School Council) to conduct coaching clinics for students. I also plan to do one-day training for state players with the assistance of the BAM.”

If everything falls into place, Joo-bong will be another one of the foreign coaches who chose to remain in Malaysia.

Former national chief coach Han Jian of China is heading the SP Setia Badminton Academy while Indonesian Indra Gunawan has pledged to take charge of the Naza Kia-sponsored Ong Ewe Hock team.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

GREAT!!!

This is simply fantastic...another positive step forward.

Seems his family likes it in Malaysia as well. Very good news.

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Man that is awsome. Makes me want to move to Malaysia to go to the IBA :D

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    you malaysian kids (joanne) are so lucky.

He is also keen on organising coaching clinics in the country for schoolchildren

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Definitely... Wouldn't it be nice to be asked, "Who's your coach" and your reply would be "Park Joo-Bong" ... Man, that'd be cool.

6. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    I am jealous to read this thread.
    I just wonder same former best players want to set up such academy in Europe or N. America or S. America or Australia or maybe in Africa.
    As you know, there is just one Badminton academy in Europe, exactly : in Denmark (correct me if I am wrong!).

I just thinking why the former best players don't want to set up a badminton academy in Europe ?
    If there are more academies in Europe, I think it will reduce the level deffrencies between European and Asian. And make badminton more competitive, more interest and more exciting.
    The last badminton will be played all around the world.

Or maybe...... just about business :confused:

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I'm sure PJB had considered all factors before doing what he did.

I can visualize a headline in 2010.

Uber Cup LS Winner to Challenge China Best

Rising malaysian star and recent Uber Cup and All England LS winner to challenge Xia Ying Zhao of china in an exhibition match to be held at neutral ground Orange County of USA. Badminton fans around the world have been debating whether this intense malaysian star under the guidance of PJB is comparable to MS players and this match will surely settle this debate. A prominence medical team led by Dr. Cheung will be flown to the US for this special occasion to oversee medical attention on and 'off' court for these players. For tickets and information on this event, please contact the event organizer Kwun at Badmintonforum.com

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Right choice

Certainly Malaysia is lucky to have Ju Bong as he will bring out youngsters and groom them into international players. I think both sides benefits as Malaysia is the country where badminton is taken as seriuosly as soccer. Why not Europe? My guess is demand is just not there as only few countries like England and Denmark are willingly to spend big money in badminton and England already has Rexy due to the departure of Park years ago. I am surprise why Denmark did not make a move to hire Park as Denmark does have quality MD that have yet to live up to expectation.