Net Shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by random.badmin1, Jul 31, 2011.

1. random.badmin1

random.badmin1 Regular Member

What is the difference between a "jabbing" net shot and a "j-shape" net shot? When and why would you use them?

2. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    A jabbingnet shot is like the motion implies a “jab” so your racquet is just movingforward. This will cause the shuttle to flip over the net and then the falltowards the ground. There is not a lot of spin put onto the shuttle with thismotion and any spin is quickly dissipated and the shuttle recovers to fallnormally quickly. This makes it easy for your opponent to take the shuttle higherand hit a shot off of it, giving them more options.

A “J-Shape”is exactly like it sounds your swing is like making a J shape using yourfingers and wrist. This in turn will put a great deal of spin onto the shuttleand the shuttle will continue to spin further down the net making it harder toreturn. It does not recover as quickly to a “normal” falling pattern. This meansthat your opponent has to wait longer and gives them fewer options for shots toplay.

If a playerplays a shot that’s off the net (fast drop or block off a smash into the court)then you would use the jab as there is a further distance to the net so morespace to make an error, you want to get the shuttle over instead of trying tospin it super tight.

If they playa block or slow drop or a shot that comes tight to the net then that would beyour chance to play a spinning net shot as there is a smaller distance to thenet so less room for error when trying to spin it tight.

Hopefully thatwas helpful and if anybody wants to add or correct anything I said that’salways awesome to have input.

3. random.badmin1

Thank you very much nbonkowsky! That was very informative and helpful! More input by anyone else would be greatly appreciated!

4. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

So J-Shape shots are a lot harder to execute effectively, due to the added sideways motion imparted halfway through the swing?

I'm just uploading an example of each (I hope i'm right with this) but I thought you might appreciate visual aids (I'm the one nearest the camera)

[video=youtube;1l5lPYWfsKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l5lPYWfsKg&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

1st clip was the Jab,
    2nd clip was the J.

I think this videos best to show the resultant Flight of the shuttle after hitting, they are distinctly different.

5. random.badmin1

WOW! Great video AimUk! Thanks! =)

6. latosboy

latosboy Regular Member

nice video this is truly helpful

7. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Maybe you can try and show he same motion played on the same side instead of a different side :).

But thanks for your explantion, it was great.

8. alexh

alexh Regular Member

No, the J-shape is just as easy, provided that you're in position early and can take the shuttle very close to the net. In the second clip you're standing too far away; your front foot needs to be well in front of the service link to play this shot effectively. When you're closer, you can play the shot with mainly finger and wrist action, very little arm movement, as nbonkowsky says above--it's a small movement that's easier to control, and you'll get more spin.

In other words, the challenge isn't really the racket action, it's the anticipation and footwork so that you're in position for the shot.