Elbow pain at antecubital (where you take blood)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by BD-Fan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BD-Fan

BD-Fan Regular Member

Over 20 years of weekly badminton practice my elbow pain has getting worse. Unlike before I feel the pain after badminton session, with few days of rest I am ok to play again. Now the pain start shortly after getting on the court and cut my session very short.

In my early day of playing badminton, my technique is not perfect. Over extend/locking elbow likely contribute to this injury. Over the years I found my elbow range of motion has been reduced. I can't touch my shoulder and fully straighten elbow. X-rate report confirmed joint deformity at radial head.

Sometime I found myself in a situation late to cover the fast drive to my backhand and result to force to reach/intercept it with fully extended elbow. I will let those point go next time if my mind aware of that:)

It's not exactly a tennis elbow injury. My pain is in the mid of the joint near radial bone head (tendon/liagmont/bone pain).
    I have tried all the stretch routines and resistance training.

The pain goes away in about a week. I have all the arm power back. It just the repetetive wiping actions like play badminton will cause the pain to start again.

Not choice, I have to rest for two weeks and see how it goes.

Would love to know anyone have the same experience and any insight about this injury.

Thanks.

2. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Is the pain on the interior or exterior of the elbow joint, when you say you have tried all stretch and resistance routines can you be more specific? Have you considered strengthening from your upper back muscles to the shoulder rotations too specific strengthening of the forearm muscles.

3. BD-Fan

BD-Fan Regular Member

After research the web I found out it's the brachiradialis muscle/tendon strain cause the pain. Typical trigger point pain at the middle of front elbow where you draw the blood. This is the only muscle across the whole arm. It helps you flex the elbow, pronate and supinate the forearm. After two weeks rest, I am pain free now and started stretch and strengthen routine. Hopefully I will be back on court in a week.