User Tag List

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're a right regular reptile, mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't really understand your point about a reptile. Are you implying that my old fashioned values regarding my aversion to Co-ed showers makes me a dinosaur?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winex West Can View Post
    Oh I have seen the location and how close it is to the Vancouver side and I have no doubt that it is very possible to walk from the Vancouver end.

Hey, I'm sure that there is no shortage of volunteers who are willing to come up and help "break-in" the courts for the grand opening

I am looking forward to the completion of the facility as it is very possible for me to drop in on the way home from work (instead of going straight home ) to play a few games.
    maybe even before the grand opening stay tuned for the latest news on facebook

www.facebook.com/badminton.vancouver

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    Don't really understand your point about a reptile. Are you implying that my old fashioned values regarding my aversion to Co-ed showers makes me a dinosaur?
    Nope. Search Eric Clapton...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The location will be a godsend to residents of Burnanby, New Westminster and Coquitlam. To folks living in Richmond and Vancouver West of Cambie, not so much. For us, it will be a matter of having a superior badminton experience that will be the draw.
    All that aside, how is the parking situation? The Richmond gyms weren't great for parking. ACE was probably the best and Clear One was ok. Clear two was adequate (barely) but Richmond Pro could be a damn nightmare at times.
    Sorry, should have asked earlier thunder, what do you think makes for a superior badminton experience?

I think from this picture you can get an idea of the parking situation. Most of it is available in the daytime for badminton players and all of it is available at night.

Name:  latesign1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  46.3 KB

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Superior badminton experience:

-safe clean brightly lit parking: check
    -good ventilation and temperature regulation ie. not stuffy and not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter, ie. should be around 18-25 C
    -clean change and wash rooms
    -good shock absorbing floors, preferably BWF approved playing mats on top of suspended wood flooring
    -good distance of at least 2.5-3 feet separation between adjacent courts
    -good seating and tables courtside and waiting area

-good lighting (this can't be emphasized enough!): not too dim and also not too bright/glaring. The ceiling must not be too dark, otherwise too much contrast between the lights and ceiling causes eyestrain. Obviously, lights should run along the sides of the courts, not directly over the court. Black cloth baffles must be used to control and prevent light glare between the two sides of the gym.

That's about all I can think of now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Visor has summed it up nicely. One small difference for me is the need for mats. VRC doesn't use them and when I play there I don't miss them. Mats are great for the first couple of months or so but then they tend to go to pot in a hurry.

Also, if you're going to have drop ins they need to be well organized (ie supervised). If it's not well supervised you get all kinds of yahoos abusing it.

Edit: Oh yeah, the stinging service needs to be competitive in terms of cost, workmanship and timliness. It could be hit and miss at times and some of the local gyms. To the point where'd I'd end up taking the trouble to drive to TADs.
    Last edited by thunder.tw; 08-23-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

I agree with thunder.tw. Just my recent experience with ClearOne was a let down. I pre-pay to get NBG-98 strings only to get a call a couple of days later that they don't have the string in stock anymore. So I had to choose something else they had in stock (ie. BG80)...they already have my money. Talk about a bait and switch (even though I will be credited the difference). Not too happy as I was looking forward to trying a different string. If I had known they were out of stock...I would have gone to Tads to restring.

Hint: Keep enough strings in stock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey for the change rooms can they have counters and lots of benches? Because often the floor in the change rooms get very wet and you don't really want to put your bag down on a wet floor do you? and counters are very helpful espiecially for putting things like hairclips or hairties on them. Please and thanks xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    ^^

I agree with thunder.tw. Just my recent experience with ClearOne was a let down. I pre-pay to get NBG-98 strings only to get a call a couple of days later that they don't have the string in stock anymore. So I had to choose something else they had in stock (ie. BG80)...they already have my money. Talk about a bait and switch (even though I will be credited the difference). Not too happy as I was looking forward to trying a different string. If I had known they were out of stock...I would have gone to Tads to restring.

True bait and switch and you would have received back a cheaper racquet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Superior badminton experience:

-safe clean brightly lit parking: check
    -good ventilation and temperature regulation ie. not stuffy and not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter, ie. should be around 18-25 C
    -clean change and wash rooms
    -good shock absorbing floors, preferably BWF approved playing mats on top of suspended wood flooring
    -good distance of at least 2.5-3 feet separation between adjacent courts
    -good seating and tables courtside and waiting area

-good lighting (this can't be emphasized enough!): not too dim and also not too bright/glaring. The ceiling must not be too dark, otherwise too much contrast between the lights and ceiling causes eyestrain. Obviously, lights should run along the sides of the courts, not directly over the court. Black cloth baffles must be used to control and prevent light glare between the two sides of the gym.

That's about all I can think of now...
    thanks for the input visor, its much appreciated, I'm sure glad I managed to garner at least one "check" from you. Hopefully we'll be revisiting your list shortly to check off additional items.

Any other lurkers out there? Would love to hear whats important to you in a badminton facility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

One other good point this story raises. Days? Here in Taiwan I can take my racquet to the local store and have it strung the same day. In Vancouver that was not the case. Even next day was rare. TADs was about the best for this. Usually, they'd have it ready the next day. In some cases they could even do same day. It sure as heck wouldn't have taken days just to find out the requested strings are unavailable.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other good point this story raises. Days? Here in Taiwan I can take my racquet to the local store and have it strung the same day. In Vancouver that was not the case. Even next day was rare. TADs was about the best for this. Usually, they'd have it ready the next day. In some cases they could even do same day. It sure as heck wouldn't have taken days just to find out the requested strings are unavailable.
    I didn't need the racket until Thursday. So my racket is not a rush job. So it being a couple days is not much of a concern. However...running out of stock is. They should always carry enough on hand. And if they run out...go out and buy the strings I want. It'll cut into their profit margin but it would have kept me happy and I would most likely still use them in the future. But after this...I will be going elsewhere to get my stringing done. Most likely Tad's cuz I don't know anywhere else that is good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjo View Post
    Hey for the change rooms can they have counters and lots of benches? Because often the floor in the change rooms get very wet and you don't really want to put your bag down on a wet floor do you? and counters are very helpful espiecially for putting things like hairclips or hairties on them. Please and thanks xD
    Hairclips? Hairties?
    At first...I was but then I looked at your profile and saw you were a female and then I was

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hairclips? Hairties?
    At first...I was but then I looked at your profile and saw you were a female and then I was
    Haha well I guess I shouldn't have chosen that username though right? I don't understand why people automatically think its a guy though...
    But ya. Counters are very very helpful. Same for a mirror.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically...Joey is a guy's name. Never heard of a girl called Joey. Maybe your a guy pretending to be a girl? It's the internet after all (cuz ya never know).

And ya need to post more...I got 200+ posts more than you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast