User Tag List

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winex West Can View Post
    One other thing is to have available ice packs or ice compression packs for sprains and injuries.
    ice machine was just delivered today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by bad-vancouver; 09-08-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a lot of feedback regarding drop ins. Lets get the discussion going. How do we make drop ins awesome?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supervise, Supervise Supervise. If you don't supervise them closely you get a lot of players abusing drop ins. One other thing you might want to do is emphasize that it is drop in. If you want to play with your foursome and there are four open slots? Cool. If not then you fill those slots. That means if there are 2 spaces open, two of you take those spots. If you want to just play with the same foursome all night, go book a court.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a quick look at the shoes while playing to make sure they aren't dark soles and appropriate for badminton. At ClearOne Leslie, I seen dark soles and people playing with non-sport shoes. Now the mats have black scuff marks everywhere. Make them play barefoot if need be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well barefoot is a little harsh. A few old shoes that could be rented could also work. Just ask for donations of old badminton shoes. Im sure that eventually there be a small collection and a rental system could work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjo View Post
    Well barefoot is a little harsh. A few old shoes that could be rented could also work. Just ask for donations of old badminton shoes. Im sure that eventually there be a small collection and a rental system could work.
    Yeah...I donated my old pair to ClearOne. I think ClearOne charges $2 for rental shoes.

An idea for drop-ins but requires alot of effort to maintain order. Each person gets a number. On a big screen...display 4 people's number and the court they play on. If a person doesn't go (loses his spot...goes to the end of the line)...the next number goes. Everybody gets to play. Bad part is you probably won't end up playing with your friends. But isn't that what drop-in is about? Playing with different people?

Like thunder.tw says...if you want to play with just your friends...book a court.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Feedback everyone!! Keep em comin!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    Supervise, Supervise Supervise. If you don't supervise them closely you get a lot of players abusing drop ins. One other thing you might want to do is emphasize that it is drop in. If you want to play with your foursome and there are four open slots? Cool. If not then you fill those slots. That means if there are 2 spaces open, two of you take those spots. If you want to just play with the same foursome all night, go book a court.
    Thanks for the feedback thunder. Its a shame if the system gets abused without supervision. Ideally, a group of 4 thats wants to only play amongst themselves would just rent their own court

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjo View Post
    Hey Joey, thanks for your input. I think a supply of well maintained badminton shoes available for rent might be a better option. I wonder if anybody really looks forward to wearing shoes that somebody else didn't want anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about if 2 players drop in and want to stay together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    Yeah...I donated my old pair to ClearOne. I think ClearOne charges $2 for rental shoes.

An idea for drop-ins but requires alot of effort to maintain order. Each person gets a number. On a big screen...display 4 people's number and the court they play on. If a person doesn't go (loses his spot...goes to the end of the line)...the next number goes. Everybody gets to play. Bad part is you probably won't end up playing with your friends. But isn't that what drop-in is about? Playing with different people?

Like thunder.tw says...if you want to play with just your friends...book a court.
    thanks for your input CD, I was thinking something along those lines. Perhaps numbered wristbands for each pair of players and a computerized system to tell people which court to play. What does everybody think about playing 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off when it gets really busy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    What about if 2 players drop in and want to stay together?
    Hey visor, think I just answered that in my reply to CD. Numbered wrist bands with the same number for doubles partners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post
    Hey Joey, thanks for your input. I think a supply of well maintained badminton shoes available for rent might be a better option. I wonder if anybody really looks forward to wearing shoes that somebody else didn't want anymore
    Well I highly doubt anyone would look forward to it, but if they can't wear their own dark soled shoes then it is a better alternative then going barefoot or in socks. It'll also be alot safer to. No need to worry about slipping and less risk for getting injured. Well maintained badminton shoes might be a better option but where will you get these well maintained shoes? Brand new badminton shoes can get quite pricey it will probably be easier to just ask for a donation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever go bowling? You rent those bowling shoes (unless you got your own pair). They keep it clean by spraying them (air freshner?). And a quick wipe down. Same concept as long as the shoes are in decent shape (like my donated pair).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would make sense. I think the spray is probably some kind of antibacterial thing though... Well the problem would only arise if the donated pair was really really beat up though right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop in

Recommendation: Sign up board / Electronic board with names

I actually disagree with the previous suggestions. Personally, I go to drop in with friends so we can play together, but that doesn't mean I will play within my own group all the time. I like meeting and playing with fresh faces as well and that's the benefit of drop in.

However, I don't think you should FORBID a group of 4 from playing together.
    1) people play with friends because they're familiar with each other, nothing wrong with that.
    2) what if a group of 4 (Random people) want a rematch? Are you telling them they can't?
    3) Competition! I feel this is the biggest issue because you can't just put 4 random people together. Players like to play within their skill level hence I don't agree with giving people numbers and assigning them to a court like a lottery.

I don't think the partner wristband works as well because that means they're bound to each other the whole time? There's too much 'restrictions', why not just stick with a classic but altered approach?

I suggest a sign up board because you can write your names down and any individual can join in by writing their names beside yours. Names identify the person, so later on you can choose the correct skill level by signing up with people who you've played. Players who want a rematch or play with each other can simply sign up together on a brand new line but having to wait longer.

This is just my suggestion..cheers

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast