User Tag List

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    Ever go bowling? You rent those bowling shoes (unless you got your own pair). They keep it clean by spraying them (air freshner?). And a quick wipe down. Same concept as long as the shoes are in decent shape (like my donated pair).
    Kind of what I was getting at in my previous post to Joey. A well maintained supply of shoes for rent. Thats very generous of you to be donating a decent pair of shoes though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    What about if 2 players drop in and want to stay together?
    Typically that doesn't create problems it is very rare for 3 names to be waiting in a court assignment. In fact, it is usually a pair that is waiting for two more players when a group of 4 will come along and instead of 'filling the box' skip over the pair and take up the next court. This is unfair to the pair and at Richmond pro it was made worse by the fact that the 'supervisor' would then skip over the pair and put the foursome on the next available court. I don't mean to pick on Richmond pro either. Yumo could be horrible as you'd have a group that would sign up 4 courts at a time staggered so that they'd never stop playing. They'd do this by signing "Fred +3" then two courts down "Jim + 3" and so on.

One other thing Badminton Vancouver might want to consider is a beginner only/friendly drop in session as well. Too many times I watched beginners show up at a drop in only to get completely avoided or destroyed in 5 min and then you never see them again. Such a session would encourage those new to the sport to stick with it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post
    Kind of what I was getting at in my previous post to Joey. A well maintained supply of shoes for rent. Thats very generous of you to be donating a decent pair of shoes though.
    My feet were starting to slide a bit in my old Forza shoes. So I decided it was time to get a new pair of shoes. It was still in decent shape when I donated it.

But to start off with...you might just have to bite the bullet and offer up some brand-new shoes for rental.

Or offer a limited time discount ($10-$20?) of trading old shoes (in decent shape...decided by staff) towards the purchase of new shoes at the pro shop. You won't be making a huge margin off the sales of the shoes but you instantly get old shoes that you can rent out.

At ClearOne...the rental shoes have big felt marked numbers on the back of the shoes to indicate the size of the shoes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    Typically that doesn't create problems it is very rare for 3 names to be waiting in a court assignment. In fact, it is usually a pair that is waiting for two more players when a group of 4 will come along and instead of 'filling the box' skip over the pair and take up the next court. This is unfair to the pair and at Richmond pro it was made worse by the fact that the 'supervisor' would then skip over the pair and put the foursome on the next available court. I don't mean to pick on Richmond pro either. Yumo could be horrible as you'd have a group that would sign up 4 courts at a time staggered so that they'd never stop playing. They'd do this by signing "Fred +3" then two courts down "Jim + 3" and so on.

One other thing Badminton Vancouver might want to consider is a beginner only/friendly drop in session as well. Too many times I watched beginners show up at a drop in only to get completely avoided or destroyed in 5 min and then you never see them again. Such a session would encourage those new to the sport to stick with it.
    This would require someone to determine if they are beginner or not. And someone to kick them out if they are not beginners. If it's beginners...then maybe some free coaching lessons on the basics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would require someone to determine if they are beginner or not. And someone to kick them out if they are not beginners. If it's beginners...then maybe some free coaching lessons on the basics?
    I don't quite see it that way. By declaring it beginner friendly you are putting any player attending on notice that the session will be filled with beginners. It is typically the advanced players that don't want to play with the beginners not the reverse. As an advanced player how eager are you going to be to attend a session where you could end up most of the night playing with 3 grannies who have only very basic skills? When I say beginner don't really mean just people who are in their first months of playing but, also players who are more casual in their approach to the game. Really it wouldn't be about restricting entry rather than just emphasizing a less competitive tone of play.

One measure that could be used by the supervisor is that if they identify 2 or more 'advanced' players they could prevent them from being part of the same foursome.

Really, there isn't much need to over manage. If you attract enough so called beginners, serious players who are looking for competitive matches will quickly learn what 'beginner' means and won't make a habit of showing up during beginner time slots. Or, if not enough beginners show up some courts will be available for the advanced players to have their own game.
    Last edited by thunder.tw; 09-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't quite see it that way. By declaring it beginner friendly you are putting any player attending on notice that the session will be filled with beginners. It is typically the advanced players that don't want to play with the beginners not the reverse. As an advanced player how eager are you going to be to attend a session where you could end up most of the night playing with 3 grannies who have only very basic skills? When I say beginner don't really mean just people who are in their first months of playing but, also players who are more casual in their approach to the game. Really it wouldn't be about restricting entry rather than just emphasizing a less competitive tone of play.

One measure that could be used by the supervisor is that if they identify 2 or more 'advanced' players they could prevent them from being part of the same foursome.

Really, there isn't much need to over manage. If you attract enough so called beginners, serious players who are looking for competitive matches will quickly learn what 'beginner' means and won't make a habit of showing up during beginner time slots. Or, if not enough beginners show up some courts will be available for the advanced players to have their own game.
    Perhaps staggering theme nights is the answer. Beginner/casual nights. Perhaps a ladies night for half price drop-in once a week. Intermediate/advanced nights. And maybe an advanced Friday Saturday late night drop in session.

That way, everyone knows what to expect. Allowing only pairs are allowed to stick together rather than 4's would ensure a good mixing of the drop-in players. I really liked your suggestion on stressing that the theme of drop-in is "drop-in"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ClearOne and RichmondPro has group and private lessons. Any plans to have a coaching staff to provide lessons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ACE also has lessons. I wonder if the market for lessons in the GVRD is saturated.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ACE also has lessons. I wonder if the market for lessons in the GVRD is saturated.
    Possibly. But if one is taking lessons at Badminton Vancouver, more than likely he/she will play there after his/her lessons are over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly. But if one is taking lessons at Badminton Vancouver, more than likely he/she will play there after his/her lessons are over.
    I don't have anything to announce regarding lessons/coaching in the traditional sense at the moment. Stay tuned though, exciting things are always in the works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's the last day for the contest isn't it? When will we know the results?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjo View Post
    Today's the last day for the contest isn't it? When will we know the results?
    I would imagine in not too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Media is picking up the story; Front Page

Name:  vancosmall.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  95.1 KB

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

not just plastic shuttle... but PINK plastic shuttle?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    not just plastic shuttle... but PINK plastic shuttle?!?
    kwun, from what I hear, multiple colour shuttles were photographed, why they chose to feature the picture with the pink birdie is beyond my knowledge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard drop in was $20? was that correct? and how much is court rental?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjo View Post
    I heard drop in was $20? was that correct? and how much is court rental?
    If drop in were that much it better include dinner, drinks, and a massage afterwards.

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast