User Tag List

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post
    Whoah, looks like I missed a good debate here. Thunder, as per previous discussions, I like the idea of allowing couples or pairs to stick together throughout the drop in night as I think that would encourage a lot more people to grab a friend and go play some badminton. I agree on your point if a group only intends to play together and use drop in as a discount method, they should just book a court. I actually don't have a problem of a group of 4 wanting a re-match or sticking together as long as arrangement are made with the drop in supervisor who could cycle this group's play on and off. If you want to stay together as a couple and play whomever the drop in supervisor assigns them to play, they'll get to play a lot more badminton that night.

Still toying with a few ideas, but I think its a good and fair compromise.
    As with everything, it's all based on the situation. If you have less than a full house then you can relax on the rules quite a bit. But, when you have a situation where drop in is full then allowing groups of four to stick together causes problems. Sure you can just put the four who want to play together in the next spot but then what happens when a court opens up and you only have 1 - 3 players available for that court? Everyone ends up waiting for the next game to finish so that you can fill that court. Or worse, at Richmond Pro they would skip the incomplete group and have the group of 4 go on.

What happens when you get multiple groups that want to play together? I think the bottom line should be if you want to attend a busy drop in session (typically Friday Nights for example) then you shouldn't have any expectation whatsoever of playing in a fixed group of 4 people. As far as couples go they don't really pose much of a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To thunder.tw, how conveniently that you forgot to quote my other sentence: "I like to play with people who I know but I like meeting and playing with fresh faces as well and that's the benefit of drop in". I don't want to start an argument but don't you find your opinions to be too subjective? bad-vancouver suggested nights with different skill levels and you frown upon that. It seems you want drop ins to be a mixed skill level but the people who are allowed are single guys/girls who have to go by themselves because they can't bring a friend or two?

Hey bad-vancouver

I think a lot of people have brought up some type of board system with numbers/names. I agree that the drop in should be supervised to assist rotation between players and facilitate any rematches within a group of 4. I think all it takes is a staff to keep an eye on the board and encourage players not to stick with one another. I wouldn't mind trying out your partner idea (2 players staying together for the whole night) but it's still pretty fresh so might generate mixed reviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aquabeta View Post
    To thunder.tw, how conveniently that you forgot to quote my other sentence: "I like to play with people who I know but I like meeting and playing with fresh faces as well and that's the benefit of drop in". I don't want to start an argument but don't you find your opinions to be too subjective? bad-vancouver suggested nights with different skill levels and you frown upon that. It seems you want drop ins to be a mixed skill level but the people who are allowed are single guys/girls who have to go by themselves because they can't bring a friend or two?
    No my opinions are based on years of experience on the Vancouver Drop In scene. So you like to play with friends and you like to meet new people too, big deal so do I. When I want to mix it up a bit and meet new people I hit the drop ins. When I want to play with my consistent group, we book a court. Where have I mentioned anything about whose allowed and whose not allowed? I don't really care if you come with 1, 2, or 7 other people. The issue is when you come off the court you fill all of the next available slots. The minute your group starts manipulating the queue you are doing so at the expense of other players. As for skill level, the bottom line is that skill level for drop ins tend to cover a wide spectrum and you should be prepared for that. I don't know what you are talking about in terms of not being able to bring a friend or two. When I played drop in I came with anywhere from one other person to six other people. We would stick together as much as we could but when we came of the court, if there was a court slot with only one or two people signed up on the next available court we would break up our foursome and fill that space. We didn't skip over those spaces to sign up as a foursome on the next empty square. This isn't about breaking up groups of friends it's about being inclusive to players who aren't with a foursome.

I didn't forget anything and there was no question of convenience. Just a question of relevance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to start an argument but don't you find your opinions to be too subjective? bad-vancouver suggested nights with different skill levels and you frown upon that.
    Nonsense, I didn't frown on it at all. I merely stated that I wasn't sure there is enough of a player base to support segregating drop in sessions by skill level. Second of all I questioned how you go about deciding who is at what skill level. Thirdly, one of the benefits of drop in is that it gives lower level players exposure to higher level players.

Typically, Friday and Saturday evenings are popular drop in nights for example. So if you decide to have an 'advanced' only session during that period you are going to cut the attendance in half. That is a bad business decision and not great for the less advanced players who now have to find some other place to go for their Friday night badminton fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    No my opinions are based on years of experience on the Vancouver Drop In scene. So you like to play with friends and you like to meet new people too, big deal so do I. When I want to mix it up a bit and meet new people I hit the drop ins. When I want to play with my consistent group, we book a court. Where have I mentioned anything about whose allowed and whose not allowed? I don't really care if you come with 1, 2, or 7 other people. The issue is when you come off the court you fill all of the next available slots. The minute your group starts manipulating the queue you are doing so at the expense of other players. As for skill level, the bottom line is that skill level for drop ins tend to cover a wide spectrum and you should be prepared for that. I don't know what you are talking about in terms of not being able to bring a friend or two. When I played drop in I came with anywhere from one other person to six other people. We would stick together as much as we could but when we came of the court, if there was a court slot with only one or two people signed up on the next available court we would break up our foursome and fill that space. We didn't skip over those spaces to sign up as a foursome on the next empty square. This isn't about breaking up groups of friends it's about being inclusive to players who aren't with a foursome.

I didn't forget anything and there was no question of convenience. Just a question of relevance.
    Easy there thunder we're all just fans of badminton here. I understand your point of view, there may be room for improvement on the current system. I do agree with you however, if a group that only wants to play amongst themselves, then they should rent their own court. I remember renting a court with several friends for a couple hours, when splitting the bill, it made badminton one of the most affordable indoor sports around.

Anyways, we're working hard on a few ideas to make sure everyone goes home after a night of drop-in feeling they were treated fairly, like all good things, it takes time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey bad-vancouver

I think a lot of people have brought up some type of board system with numbers/names. I agree that the drop in should be supervised to assist rotation between players and facilitate any rematches within a group of 4. I think all it takes is a staff to keep an eye on the board and encourage players not to stick with one another. I wouldn't mind trying out your partner idea (2 players staying together for the whole night) but it's still pretty fresh so might generate mixed reviews.
    Hi Aquabeta,

thanks for your input. I actually really like the idea of keeping pairs together. That way it encourages a lot more people to give drop in a try since they can at least partner with somebody they know for the duration of the night. It will also lead to a good amount of competition for the pair for the night. I think what thunder.tw is getting at is the abuse of the drop-ins where a large group uses their superical numbers to continuously book court after court for their group without having to stop play to allow others who have been waiting patiently. Hope to see you there @ Badminton Vancouver drop ins.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm intersted in the partner idea as well. I'd bring my friend (who is about the same level as me) and play a few games on drop-in nights. It's the only way we'll get better at playing doubles (since we suck so much ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey bad-vancouver, will you guys be allowing NON-MARKING basketball shoes with colored soles? Like these ones?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...66#post1765366

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...58#post1765258

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of a pairs mixer night where you stay with your partner and play others.

From my experience, Smash/Yumo has the worst drop in system with the names on the board and you mark down which court you're on, no one ever uses (cause no one understands it)it and people always play longer than they should. I think after the renos they just gave up entirely with any system at all.

Richmond Pro's board system works if the staff if on top of it.

The old racquet on peg board system seems to always work best at C1 and C2, but again, the problem is always lack of enforcement from the employees. Sure if you play 20 minutes when allowed 15 min max it's not a big deal, but sometimes you get those db's that play for a good half an hour before getting off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, it's important to set out the rules for drop in, ie/ 15 minutes, or 15 pt service, or 2 - 21 pt rallies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iori View Post
    Hey bad-vancouver, will you guys be allowing NON-MARKING basketball shoes with colored soles? Like these ones?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...66#post1765366

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...58#post1765258
    Hi Iori,

If you want to wear your colourful non marking basketball shoes to play badminton, I'm more than happy to have you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
    Also, it's important to set out the rules for drop in, ie/ 15 minutes, or 15 pt service, or 2 - 21 pt rallies
    I think this is a great topic for the next discussion. Personally I'm leaning towards a time based system with an alarm going off every 13 or 18 minutes which gives players 2 minutes to finish up a point and find out which court they are going to next.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post
    I think this is a great topic for the next discussion. Personally I'm leaning towards a time based system with an alarm going off every 13 or 18 minutes which gives players 2 minutes to finish up a point and find out which court they are going to next.
    Although I can see how it'll be a zoo when the alarm rings and then everyone gets off at the same time rushing to the board to sign up again. ......Btw where's the draw list you promised?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Although I can see how it'll be a zoo when the alarm rings and then everyone gets off at the same time rushing to the board to sign up again. ......Btw where's the draw list you promised?
    I think the winner's list is going to get published during the launch of the website which shouldn't be in too long.

Rush to the board to sign up again? That would be a zoo. I was thinking that would be predetermined by the drop in coordinator to ensure smooth transition of the players to their next game. I'm hoping that would do away with any confusion and make sure nobody waits more than 1 round to get playing again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would the websites address be?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got to see the inside of the facility today thanks to bad-vancouver himself. The contractors were working on the "upstairs" part. The walls were already painted a nice tranquil blue (not glaring). Still some work to be done; no flooring down yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Finally got to see the inside of the facility today thanks to bad-vancouver himself. The contractors were working on the "upstairs" part. The walls were already painted a nice tranquil blue (not glaring). Still some work to be done; no flooring down yet.
    I hope you enjoyed your visit as well as the paint job. It was great to meet you and to be able to put a face to the name.

You're right, lots of work still to be done, thats why we're working on a Saturday and even on thanksgiving.

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast