User Tag List

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    No court mats?! That must mean floating hardwood floor, much like VRC.
    good guess visor, although floating hardwood floor like VRC would hardly be different and special. Doesn't hardwood floor get slippery when dusty and wet?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post
    good guess visor, although floating hardwood floor like VRC would hardly be different and special. Doesn't hardwood floor get slippery when dusty and wet?
    no, vrc power sanded the hardwood floor and left it unvarnished, which makes it surprisingly grippy with rubber soles... and the floating floor absorbs impact quite well so that knees and ankles are spared of jarring shocks

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post
    it doesn't really need to be different and special for the sake of being different and special. it just need to be quality floor that your future customer will like and thus will come back to BV.

good qualities that most badminton player will look for are:

- suspension. a lively suspended floor is the best
    - grippiness. the top layer need to be grippy and stays that way

other factors include:

- look. must look professional. nothing is worse than a homemade ghetto look. but however if the floor is good per above, people won't care as much.
    - longevity. you are in this for 5, 10, 15, 20 years. better invest now than have to fix it later
    - cost.

to me, suspended wood floor with court mat is the best for the first 4 factors but unfortunately will cost quite a bit more than the alternatives.

but of course, if you have already gone all the way to build the shell specifically for badminton, the extra cost of the flooring might not be that much in the grand scheme of things.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    no, vrc power sanded the hardwood floor and left it unvarnished, which makes it surprisingly grippy with rubber soles... and the floating floor absorbs impact quite well so that knees and ankles are spared of jarring shocks
    oh. i didn't know that. but doing it that way makes so much sense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will also be great if the place has a bubble tea bar/restaurant as well. Mitchell Island is kinda remote from Richmond downtown area. A small bistro to service patrons on breaks from their games might be a good idea. As for lighting, it must be bright but not so bright as to blind the player when he looks up at the shuttle. Have you thought of redirected lighting? Perhaps having brighter lights but reflected onto the ceiling might do the trick?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drove over the Knight St. Bridge (to Richmond) last night and saw the Badminton Vancouver court (warehouse). Really visible if you happen to look at it on your right (west side of the bridge).

I might play some night games at Badminton Vancouver to try it out. Coming from Burnaby so it will save me about 10-15min of drive time going through Richmond (to get to ClearOne). But I will continue to play on the weekend at ClearOne. The advantage of ClearOne is that after playing in the morning, you can go to the many asian malls/food courts for lunch. So many options. I don't know too many eateries near Knight and SW Marine Drive (especially asian food).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air conditioning is a MUST for summer season. We just quit going to ClearONE Poco starting July. Our experiences on their grand opening last year in a hot summer day was a total nightmare.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Udonming View Post
    Air conditioning is a MUST for summer season. We just quit going to ClearONE Poco starting July. Our experiences on their grand opening last year in a hot summer day was a total nightmare.
    I doubt that is gonna happen. It'll be costly to air condition a warehouse. Night time should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night time is even worse because hot air accumulates. Best time will be the morning.
    From our experiences, it was like playing badminton in a huge sauna room and if you don't take a break after 2 games the chance you got pass out is pretty high.
    Well, I definitely will take a note on this if they don't have air-con, nothing personal.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Night time is even worse because hot air accumulates. Best time will be the morning.
    From our experiences, it was like playing badminton in a huge sauna room and if you don't take a break after 2 games the chance you got pass out is pretty high.
    Well, I definitely will take a note on this if they don't have air-con, nothing personal.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    I doubt that is gonna happen. It'll be costly to air condition a warehouse. Night time should be fine.
    a local club here, California Badminton Academy, installed some air vents/ducts at the roof which acts as natural convectional circulation. while there is no active cooling involved, the vents and duct systems acts like a chimney that draws the stale hot air out of the gym. i have been there in 80+ days and the gym stays warm but not hot. other places in the same temperature was like a sauna.

something to think about...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A little hot here and we're complaining? Just be thankful you're not playing in Malaysia or Singapore!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our experiences included people from Singapore, Indonesia, Philipine, Chinese and local born Canadians. Go to Clearone Poco tonite and verify my statement.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't doubt you. Most likely that place (as most if not all baddy places in Richmond) are converted warehouses with absolutely zero attention paid to ventilation. Hence they will become stuffy in the hot weather.... I hope that this BV will have some kind of ventilation as kwun has described. Afterall it is not a converted warehouse and it seems like quite a lot of thought and planning has been put into the design and building.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    it doesn't really need to be different and special for the sake of being different and special. it just need to be quality floor that your future customer will like and thus will come back to BV.

good qualities that most badminton player will look for are:

- suspension. a lively suspended floor is the best
    - grippiness. the top layer need to be grippy and stays that way

other factors include:

- look. must look professional. nothing is worse than a homemade ghetto look. but however if the floor is good per above, people won't care as much.
    - longevity. you are in this for 5, 10, 15, 20 years. better invest now than have to fix it later
    - cost.

to me, suspended wood floor with court mat is the best for the first 4 factors but unfortunately will cost quite a bit more than the alternatives.

but of course, if you have already gone all the way to build the shell specifically for badminton, the extra cost of the flooring might not be that much in the grand scheme of things.
    Agreed kwun, didn't mean to sound like we're looking to be different just for the sake of being different. Its about the user experience. Your list of factors looks good and they were all factors in my list as well, I would also add "uniformity in play" Professional look I think is a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75 View Post
    It will also be great if the place has a bubble tea bar/restaurant as well. Mitchell Island is kinda remote from Richmond downtown area. A small bistro to service patrons on breaks from their games might be a good idea. As for lighting, it must be bright but not so bright as to blind the player when he looks up at the shuttle. Have you thought of redirected lighting? Perhaps having brighter lights but reflected onto the ceiling might do the trick?
    bar/restaurant would be a great idea

cappy, I did look into indirect lighting, it really does make for fantastic lighting and there is no glare. The engineering team also researched if this was possible and they concluded based on the additional infrastructure needed and other constraints, it would no be possible at this time. Perhaps in a phase 2 upgrade in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    Drove over the Knight St. Bridge (to Richmond) last night and saw the Badminton Vancouver court (warehouse). Really visible if you happen to look at it on your right (west side of the bridge).

I might play some night games at Badminton Vancouver to try it out. Coming from Burnaby so it will save me about 10-15min of drive time going through Richmond (to get to ClearOne). But I will continue to play on the weekend at ClearOne. The advantage of ClearOne is that after playing in the morning, you can go to the many asian malls/food courts for lunch. So many options. I don't know too many eateries near Knight and SW Marine Drive (especially asian food).
    so if I cooked asian food for your on weekends, would you play weekends?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photo for those of you not fans on facebook / www.facebook.com/badminton.vancouver
    managed to get half the sign lit, the important part anyways, lighting of the "vancouver" in white to follow shortly

Name:  signlit1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  50.5 KB

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast